BTY Rozena -vs- Tenergy 05 or 19 for FH

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2023
Hello everyone,

I've been playing the Butterfly Rozena (FH 2.1 and BH 1.9) on a BTY Korbel all-wood 5-ply for a long time now.
I still really like the Rozena on the BH. It offers great control and yet the potential to topspin on backspin.

Since my game is very forehand-orientated (offensive player), I sometimes wish I had a little more power / spin potential on my FH strokes.

How will the two rubbers (Rozena vs. Tenergy 05 or 19) differ in 2.1mm on the forehand in the following game situations:

- Topspin opening on backspin (3rd ball)
- 2nd or third topspin / topspin rally
- blocking against topspin
- Drives and exact ball placement
- pushing / Short Short Play
- producing spinny or short services
- service returns (active and passive)

Unfortunately I don't have the opportunity to test the Tenergy 05/19 at the moment.
Before ordering for a test I would like to hear some experiences / opinions from players who have already played both rubbers on the forehand.

Game level currently: Around 1600TTR in Germany (around 1900-2000 US I guess)

Thanks a lot

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2022
Read 6 reviews
I can't give you all the detail you are looking for I am afraid, but I have used T19 previously and currently I use Rozena.

For me, T19 and Rozena (along with T05) are broadly similar in style and feel, but there is a marked difference in speed, bounce and spin ( and sensitivity to it) which meant for me that T19 was much harder to control in matchplay situations (even on a slower blade)

I found the short game, serve returns and attacking shots when I was not in great position, to be where my consistency suffered - and when this happened and I inevitably tightened up, it got worse..

I would say that, for me, T05 was slightly less speedy than T19 and a tad easier to play (very marginal in my hands though)

You may however be at a level where you have the technical ability to easily control T19/T05 and benefit from the undoubted speed and penetration advantage.

Ultimately it is probably worth investing in a sheet and trying it out in anger.

I hope this helps in some way.

Reactions: PakDa1988
says Win by Spin!
says Win by Spin!
Aug 2022
Read 3 reviews
I'm playing with T19 currently. I have heard from players that the Rozena itself is a toned down version of T05, thus T19 because of the very small differences between the two. The Tenergy is usually good for game prioritizing speed and spin. The Rozena would be beneficial for more of a controlled kind of game.

3rd ball attacks, topspin rally and producing spinny balls on short contact times would be better with Tenergy 19. Service returns, blocking and drives might be better with Rozena.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2023
Thank you booth for you first very helpful answers.

I expanded this thread to "Rozena vs T05 or T19", because I am not sure yet if I will try the Tenergy 05 or 19 for my forehand.
So, for sure, each experience with Rozena vs. 05 helps as well!

I have played with both Rozena and Tenergy 05. I didn't like Rozena at all so I ditched it. That was more than a year ago so I don't want to compare it to Tenergy,
But,

Now I am playing with Nittaku Hammond Z2 on FH where as I a month ago was playing with Tenergy 05.
Tenergy 05 is very demanding for service returns and the short game. Very little marginal. I increased my marginals significatly with Hammon Z2. But with Tenergy, your topspin drives will feel like You are firing a canon and that is something I really miss. I didn't replace the ruber for performance reason, it was purely economical.

Bottom line is expect very little marginals in Your short game with Tenergy 05. I would expect a similar effect compared to Rozena.
This I think is the biggest draw back...

Cheers
L-zr

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2023
Thanks for sharing your experiences.
To be honest, I don’t find that the Rozena is good at short-short play.
It delivers good control for me while blocking or plying counter attacks / drives.
But maybe it’s because of the 2.1mm on FH.

Will a T05/T19 really be even worse in short-short play?
I think I would try it with 1.9mm first.
My play is near to the table 90% of the time. I rarely play from middle-distance or behind.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2022
Read 6 reviews
Thanks for sharing your experiences.
To be honest, I don’t find that the Rozena is good at short-short play.
It delivers good control for me while blocking or plying counter attacks / drives.
But maybe it’s because of the 2.1mm on FH.

Will a T05/T19 really be even worse in short-short play?
I think I would try it with 1.9mm first.
My play is near to the table 90% of the time. I rarely play from middle-distance or behind.
Much worse - far less control and more spin sensitivity in my experience.

Brs

This user has no status.

Brs

This user has no status.
Oct 2015
Now that you broadened it to T05 I can comment, have no knowledge of T19. If your experience is anything like mine, your rating and level of play will be the same with Rozena or T05. T05 will make more Wow! shots, and every shot will have some small percentage more speed and spin. That small percentage may make your opponent block off the table or miss his counter, so I'm not minimizing the advantage.

However with T05 more of your shots will also go long off the table, more receives will pop up, and it will be harder to control your own blocks.

The net result is a wash as far as points won. It's a choice based on what gives you joy when you play. If you like playing longer rallies with more control but somewhat lower ball quality, stick with Rozena. If you love to make a truly incredible shot now and then, and will accept some unforced errors, Tenergy could be for you.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2014
There is a marked difference between t05 2.1 and 1.9,the trajectory is longer with 2.1,this was on TSP Black Balsa 3.0.
T19 Feels a little harder to me,this must be the lesser spacing of the pips I think,there is less spin/speed/arc compared to t05 and a slightly longer /lower trajectory ,this was comparing 1.9 thickness for both.
Short game I find easier with t05,maybe because I've been using it for so long.
I haven't tried Rozena.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2023
thanks a lot!
Then i will give the Tenergy 05 a try for my forehand next week.

After our training session yesterday I had a longer discussion with mates from my club.
They all meant I better should try 2.1 than 1.9.
They argued that I have very good strokes on my forehand. Most of the time I try to loop the balls, I am no hitter. Pushing or blocking only when looping is not possible.
So 2.1mm would support my game better or make it harder for opponents.

For my backhand they think staying with Rozena is the best.

What are your points on 2.1 vs 1.9?

Thanks for your help!

says Looking for a bat that makes me faster
says Looking for a bat that makes me faster
Jan 2023
thanks a lot!
Then i will give the Tenergy 05 a try for my forehand next week.

After our training session yesterday I had a longer discussion with mates from my club.
They all meant I better should try 2.1 than 1.9.
They argued that I have very good strokes on my forehand. Most of the time I try to loop the balls, I am no hitter. Pushing or blocking only when looping is not possible.
So 2.1mm would support my game better or make it harder for opponents.

For my backhand they think staying with Rozena is the best.

What are your points on 2.1 vs 1.9?

Thanks for your help!
I always go for max. Upgrading the rubber (more speed & spin) and going down in thickness (less speed & spin) simultaneously seems counter-productive.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2021
Read 1 reviews
Rozena is quite a stale rubber in my opinion. However, it’s more stable than tenergy 05 in my opinion therefore I feel like it would be better.

Tenergy 05 is classic. T19 holds the ball longer than 05 and it also feels less pingy and more stable than 05.

I like t19 for bh, though fh can be quite lethal as well.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2023
Hi everyone
Today I was able to test the Tenergy05.

I had my racket two times, first with Rozena 2.1 on FH and second with Tenergy05 2.1 on forehand.

I was able to test both besides for around an hour and tried to play each stroke I normally play in games, especially topspins.

First fact, the T05 produces a lot more spin. You can see the effect when the ball bounces on the opponents side. It’s a big difference.
Same goes for producing spin while serving or producing backspin while pushing.

But one real interesting fact:
The strokes with the T05 are much shorter than with the Rozena. Especially drives and soft top spins are shorter - the balls definitely don’t go as long.
To be honest, I was totally surprised. I expected the other way around.
For me the speed of the Rozena feels a bit higher - only when I go „all in“ the T05 produces faster balls.

Has anybody similar experiences?
What are the reasons for this?

Tomorrow I will test another session.
And then I will practice more defensive shots. Today I only tested active strokes and services.

Reactions: Topspinslinger
The strokes with the T05 are much shorter than with the Rozena. Especially drives and soft top spins are shorter - the balls definitely don’t go as long.
For me the speed of the Rozena feels a bit higher - only when I go „all in“ the T05 produces faster balls.

And then I will practice more defensive shots. Today I only tested active strokes and services.
Except for in the short game...
The reason is called top spin and the Magnus effect. This creates a more curved trajectory which bends downward very quickly at the end.

Cheers
L-zr

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2022
Read 6 reviews
Hi everyone

I had my racket two times, first with Rozena 2.1 on FH and second with Tenergy05 2.1 on forehand.

I was able to test both besides for around an hour and tried to play each stroke I normally play in games, especially topspins.

First fact, the T05 produces a lot more spin. You can see the effect when the ball bounces on the opponents side. It’s a big difference.

I am quite surprised to hear this - my experience has been that T05 is both spinnier and faster than Rozena in all areas.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2021
Hi everyone

Yes. Exactly.

says Serve, top, edge. Repeat.
says Serve, top, edge. Repeat.
May 2020
Read 1 reviews
T05 for slightly more performance, higher arc, speed and spin. T19 for better short game and counters, same spin, lower arc.

Rozena is about 25 to 30% down in performance, maybe 35% if we're talking about spin and of course higher sensitivity to incoming spin. They still have control though.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2022
Hello everyone,

I've been playing the Butterfly Rozena (FH 2.1 and BH 1.9) on a BTY Korbel all-wood 5-ply for a long time now.
I still really like the Rozena on the BH. It offers great control and yet the potential to topspin on backspin.

Since my game is very forehand-orientated (offensive player), I sometimes wish I had a little more power / spin potential on my FH strokes.

How will the two rubbers (Rozena vs. Tenergy 05 or 19) differ in 2.1mm on the forehand in the following game situations:

- Topspin opening on backspin (3rd ball)
- 2nd or third topspin / topspin rally
- blocking against topspin
- Drives and exact ball placement
- pushing / Short Short Play
- producing spinny or short services
- service returns (active and passive)

Unfortunately I don't have the opportunity to test the Tenergy 05/19 at the moment.
Before ordering for a test I would like to hear some experiences / opinions from players who have already played both rubbers on the forehand.

Game level currently: Around 1600TTR in Germany (around 1900-2000 US I guess)

Thanks a lot
If you like Rozena, Tenergy 05 is the obvious choice. Tenergy 19 on forehand isn't as effective in general for most players (including me)

Tenergy has a lot more power, but i feel in the rally i prefer Rozena. Everything is better with Tenergy in the first ball, served and even flicks on the forehand. But the control and the lack of pressure you feel during topspin topspin rallies, damn. Short game both are alright, Rozena does feel easier to use.

I "Downgrade" to Stiga DNA pro on forehand, i like that rubber a lot. Coming from Bty and Hurricane 3 neo, it has a lot more creative flare into it.