Bulgaria Open 2018

says Aging is a killer
A person reaches their level of incompetence, which is what happened when Liam played the chopper Ma Te.
Which proves my point that you don't understand.

Losing a match is not demonstrating business management incompetence.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2017

Intuitively we always do as if the relation of players beating another is transitive, I.e. if A beats B and B beats C then A should also beat C. But in TT there's so many subtle varieties in the player's game systems that this "law" need not hold.

Sent from my ZTE Grand S II LTE using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015

It is the TT version of the Peter Principle in physical competition match play. Yes, Liam did reach his level of incompetence when playing a chopper, showing a lack of high level versatility between styles.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2011
Results from Day 6 (Sun 19 August 2018)

Men's Singles

Final:

[2] Xu Xin 4:1 Kenta Matsudaira [7] (12:10, 10:12, 11:8, 11:6, 11:4)

Women's Singles

Final:

[6] Ding Ning 4:3 Wang Yidi (11:7, 10:12, 8:11, 11:8, 11:6, 4:11, 11:2)

Men's Doubles

Final:

[2] Ma Long/Xu Xin 3:1 Masataka Morizono/Yuya Oshima [1] (9:11, 11:4, 11:8, 11:6)

Women's Doubles

Final:

[3] Kasumi Ishikawa/Mima Ito 3:1 Liu Gaoyang/Zhang Rui (10:12, 11:7, 11:7, 11:6)

Reactions: Xylit and Giangt
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2016
So the fact that XX won two in a row shows the new ball fits his style very well? Or it doesn't matter as he was just as good as before?

There might be something to it. Also the fact that choppers are going far (also in females) could be an indicator that the more spin is playing a bigger factor than before.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
There might be something to it. Also the fact that choppers are going far (also in females) could be an indicator that the more spin is playing a bigger factor than before.

Wait a min. The new ball was supposed to create less spin right ??

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2017
So the fact that XX won two in a row shows the new ball fits his style very well? Or it doesn't matter as he was just as good as before?

We based our case on Ma Long more. I think it's safe to say, Xu Xin's style is quite unique and too versatile for an easy generalization ...

Reactions: yoass
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2017
every notable pro has said that the new balls have noticeably less spin on them, ITTF officials admitted it as well, and Xu Xin's game is spin oriented. Do the math. And no, he didn't change his game very much, he doesn't take the ball off the bounce, he's still a monster FH looper with tons of side-spin. Why is he still winning you ask? Well, because he's very good. Now that he's handicapped and he's at, say, 90% of his celluloid era self, he's still better than most.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2017
every notable pro has said that the new balls have noticeably less spin on them, ITTF officials admitted it as well, and Xu Xin's game is spin oriented. Do the math. And no, he didn't change his game very much, he doesn't take the ball off the bounce, he's still a monster FH looper with tons of side-spin. Why is he still winning you ask? Well, because he's very good. Now that he's handicapped and he's at, say, 90% of his celluloid era self, he's still better than most.

What I would also argue (and it's just my theory) is that it's harder to control the abs ball while playing close to the net. Since it bounces higher, it's not easy to play it tight without being exposed to the opponent's flick or a 3rd ball attack after a semi long serve. XX seems to have an advantage here ..

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2016
What I would also argue (and it's just my theory) is that it's harder to control the abs ball while playing close to the net. Since it bounces higher, it's not easy to play it tight without being exposed to the opponent's flick or a 3rd ball attack after a semi long serve. XX seems to have an advantage here ..

Yes but no, the higher bounce and less crazy dips in all directions due to spin make it more predictable, and easier to knock off the bounce. It favours "in force" play and even Xu Xin is more direct in many of his shots, which goes in hand with the carbon blade. Of course he's still got a crazy amount of variation, because he is who he is.
But we've never seen this many quick backhand rallies, and Tomo would have been a beast either way but I think the ball has played a role in how quickly he's shot up to the top (other than it being easier to adapt when at a younger age).

Reactions: Atas Newton
says Aging is a killer
It is the TT version of the Peter Principle in physical competition match play. Yes, Liam did reach his level of incompetence when playing a chopper, showing a lack of high level versatility between styles.

Tenuous analogy at best.
That's me out on this discussion.

This user has no status.
Intuitively we always do as if the relation of players beating another is transitive, I.e. if A beats B and B beats C then A should also beat C. But in TT there's so many subtle varieties in the player's game systems that this "law" need not hold.

Sent from my ZTE Grand S II LTE using Tapatalk

its not transitive, rather the technical term for it I believe is rock-paper-scissors-ative