Butterfly G40+ Plastic Ball Review

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Butterfly in their first press release made it sound like they had an exclusivity agreement.

Do you think that mean they are the only company who will sell a plastic ball made in the Weiner factory? Or will the Weiner factory just produce a different Poly 40+ ball for other companies?

Sent from Godric'sHollow using the ResurrectionStone

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Do you think that mean they are the only company who will sell a plastic ball made in the Weiner factory? Or will the Weiner factory just produce a different Poly 40+ ball for other companies?

Sent from Godric'sHollow using the ResurrectionStone

When looking into the future or understanding the legal implications of a deal in a press release, your ResurrectionStone is as good as mine.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
OK, here are my impressions of the G40+, specifically in reference to Nittaku Premium 40+ Japan (NP40+) and also XSF. I played with it for two hours today on Tibhar Smash 28 tables.

G40+ bounces about the same height as an XSF ball, which is a little higher than NP40+ (and a lot higher than Chinese seamed balls). Personally I like this, but if you are used to NP40+, you will need to keep this in mind.

It is hard to see the seam in a G40+ unless you shine light through it, which is also true of NP40+ (and very different from Chinese seamed balls). However, the seam in a G40+ is quite a bit bigger than a NP40+ (the amount the two halves overlap). Butterfly says that even though they have a seam, the inner diameter does not increase where the seam is. Nittaku Premium has a very very small seam.

Another really obvious difference I can see right away with two new unused balls right out of the box is that the surface of the G40+ ball is a lot smoother than either NP40+ or XSF. It is instantly discernible when you take two balls and rub them together. The sound of two NP40+ (or XSF) is greater than G40+ and you can feel more vibration.

As everyone mentions, G40+ has weird sound (like old seamless prototypes or Ipong practice balls), but after about 5 minutes you stop noticing or caring. Once you realize the ball bounces normally and not like a broken ball, the sound stops mattering.

The good news is that this is a perfectly decent ball and my partner and I had fun playing with it today. Also, new balls right out of the box will not put any dust residue on your rubber!! (Very different from NP40+).

Some people may consider the next thing bad news; it does not really play all that much like an NP40+, it is not really like a XSF either, and it is definitely not like a Chinese seamed ball (thank goodness). The G40+ is unique, which means that there is even more variability in the playing properties of plastic balls, and this is really a fourth class of ball. All in all it is closest to XSF I think but still has unique properties. That is the bad part. We are living in an era now with a lot more difference in ball properties than we ever had in the celluloid era. (I have seen ITTF officials try to downplay this, but it is obvious).

Dan's review mentioned that the ball flies very straight in the air. I agree, in fact it is one of the things that seems to me to be different from either NP40+ or XSF. Perhaps this has something to do with the unusually smooth surface of the G40+? I also had the impression it flies fast through the air. Is this really the case or an illusion of some type? Hard to say but that's how it seemed. If you are wondering why surface texture affects ball flight, bear in mind that (as with golf balls) a rougher texture could creates a thin turbulent boundary layer of air that clings to the ball's surface. This allows the smoothly flowing air to follow the ball's surface a little farther around the back side of the ball, thereby decreasing the size of the wake. Table tennis balls are a lot lighter, so it may be that smaller changes in surface texture are sufficient to affect blight through the air -- see http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/how-do-dimples-in-golf-ba/).

I felt like the ball had more spin after the bounce on the table, and that it jumped less off the table as a result of spin. This could also be due to smooth surface. My guess is that it is heavier than NP40+ (I will weigh precisely next week) but also a lot harder than a XSF, so it will seem lighter when you play with it. At times it felt somewhat intermediate between XSF and NP40+ but when you flat hit the ball or blocked with authority, the ball seemed to move super fast.

My suspicion is that the very smooth surface of the ball is part of the reason it plays differently. But it is not everything. The G40+ also played a bit differently from a very well worn NP40+.

A couple of really good players on the next table (Jimmy Butler and Niraj Oak) hit with one briefly, the first impression they had was not altogether positive, but they didn't give it more than about 5 minutes. I very much value the opinion of very good players, they just see and feel things more accurately.

I am not sure if people will like G40+ better or worse than NP40+ or XSF. To be honest, I am not entirely sure myself how I feel about it.

The one thing I am sure of is that it is certainly as legitimate an effort to make a decent plastic ball as either XSF or NP40+. There were no grossly bad bounces (I am very accustomed to 40+ balls, have used them exclusively for 18 months). Didn't break one in two hours.

I will write more after I have played with it some more, and also after other people in my club at various levels have had a change to try it out. But if you held a gun to my head and say rank order the balls, I would say NP40+ > XSF = G40+ >>>>>>>> any Chinese seamed ball.

Last edited:

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀
Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
OK, here are my impressions of the G40+, specifically in reference to Nittaku Premium 40+ Japan (NP40+) and also XSF. I played with it for two hours today on Tibhar Smash 28 tables.

G40+ bounces about the same height as an XSF ball, which is a little higher than NP40+ (and a lot higher than Chinese seamed balls). Personally I like this, but if you are used to NP40+, you will need to keep this in mind.

It is hard to see the seam in a G40+ unless you shine light through it, which is also true of NP40+ (and very different from Chinese seamed balls). However, the seam in a G40+ is quite a bit bigger than a NP40+ (the amount the two halves overlap). Butterfly says that even though they have a seam, the inner diameter does not increase where the seam is. Nittaku Premium has a very very small seam.

Another really obvious difference I can see right away with two new unused balls right out of the box is that the surface of the G40+ ball is a lot smoother than either NP40+ or XSF. It is instantly discernible when you take two balls and rub them together. The sound of two NP40+ (or XSF) is greater than G40+ and you can feel more vibration.

As everyone mentions, G40+ has weird sound (like old seamless prototypes or Ipong practice balls), but after about 5 minutes you stop noticing or caring. Once you realize the ball bounces normally and not like a broken ball, the sound stops mattering.

The good news is that this is a perfectly decent ball and my partner and I had fun playing with it today. Also, new balls right out of the box will not put any dust residue on your rubber!! (Very different from NP40+).

Some people may consider the next thing bad news; it does not really play all that much like an NP40+, it is not really like a XSF either, and it is definitely not like a Chinese seamed ball (thank goodness). The G40+ is unique, which means that there is even more variability in the playing properties of plastic balls, and this is really a fourth class of ball. All in all it is closest to XSF I think but still has unique properties. That is the bad part. We are living in an era now with a lot more difference in ball properties than we ever had in the celluloid era. (I have seen ITTF officials try to downplay this, but it is obvious).

Dan's review mentioned that the ball flies very straight in the air. I agree, in fact it is one of the things that seems to me to be different from either NP40+ or XSF. Perhaps this has something to do with the unusually smooth surface of the G40+? I also had the impression it flies fast through the air. Is this really the case or an illusion of some type? Hard to say but that's how it seemed. If you are wondering why surface texture affects ball flight, bear in mind that (as with golf balls) a rougher texture could creates a thin turbulent boundary layer of air that clings to the ball's surface. This allows the smoothly flowing air to follow the ball's surface a little farther around the back side of the ball, thereby decreasing the size of the wake. Table tennis balls are a lot lighter, so it may be that smaller changes in surface texture are sufficient to affect blight through the air -- see http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/how-do-dimples-in-golf-ba/).

I felt like the ball had more spin after the bounce on the table, and that it jumped less off the table as a result of spin. This could also be due to smooth surface. My guess is that it is heavier than NP40+ (I will weigh precisely next week) but also a lot harder than a XSF, so it will seem lighter when you play with it. At times it felt somewhat intermediate between XSF and NP40+ but when you flat hit the ball or blocked with authority, the ball seemed to move super fast.

My suspicion is that the very smooth surface of the ball is part of the reason it plays differently. But it is not everything. The G40+ also played a bit differently from a very well worn NP40+.

A couple of really good players on the next table (Jimmy Butler and Niraj Oak) hit with one briefly, the first impression they had was not altogether positive, but they didn't give it more than about 5 minutes. I very much value the opinion of very good players, they just see and feel things more accurately.

I am not sure if people will like G40+ better or worse than NP40+ or XSF. To be honest, I am not entirely sure myself how I feel about it.

The one thing I am sure of is that it is certainly as legitimate an effort to make a decent plastic ball as either XSF or NP40+. There were no grossly bad bounces (I am very accustomed to 40+ balls, have used them exclusively for 18 months). Didn't break one in two hours.

I will write more after I have played with it some more, and also after other people in my club at various levels have had a change to try it out. But if you held a gun to my head and say rank order the balls, I would say NP40+ > XSF = G40+ >>>>>>>> any Chinese seamed ball.

This is one fantastic review Baal, I like your thinking. It sure is hard to pin point this ball, I had difficulties thinking about the ball when reviewing it and coming to a conclusion myself. I went to a junior tournament in the UK last weekend and the balls used were the G40+. Most of the kids didn't even care or notice what ball they were using, but a few did say they really liked it and it felt fast. I am looking forward to more reviews to see how time will tell.

Reactions: Suga D
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Here are the data on G40+ weight (measured with a Denver Instruments laboratory balance).

G40+ average weight was 2.76 grams +/- 0.03 grams (standard deviation) calculated from 6 balls.

NP40+ average with a sample of 6 was 2.70 grams +/- 0.02 grams (standard deviation).

Main conclusions from this:

1. The NP40+ is the lightest plastic ball. In fact the heaviest NP40+ ball you will ever find is most likely going to be lighter than the lightest ball you will find in a reasonably sized sample of almost any other brand. In fact, some will be lighter than some of the celluloid balls.

2. The average weight of a G40+ is almost exactly the same as XSF (based on my earlier measurements with the same very well calibrated laboratory balance). By comparison, Chinese seamed balls from last year were pretty much always at 2.80 grams or greater. Unless they have managed to fix that, they will not be approved for long after January 1.

I have misplaced my calipers so can't measure diameter!
smiley7.gif

I think that when people say a ball feels lighter or heavier when they play, that feeling may or may not have something to do with the weight. More often it has something to do with the hardness of the ball. (Kicking a deflated football, it may feel heavier). I think, though that the way a Nittkau Premium plays has a lot to do with the fact that it is simply a slightly smaller ball than the others (based on my precise measurements of weight, and wturber's measurements of diameter).

Next Level mentions that the G40+ has a lot in common with XSF (and on a lot of shots that seems right to me) and I think that may be due to the fact that they have the same weight. However, the differences I notice between G40+ and XSF may have to do with the fact they are made of a different plastic with different hardness and external texture. I think the G40+ flies straighter and maybe faster.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Same weight and bounce height. I think that I will ultimately prefer the G40+ because coming through the table helps my blocking game - I hate the way the XSF ball sometimes holds up vs celluloid. It shows up when all of a sudden, my muscle memory kicks in when I am using a Nittaku Premium and the ball shows up where years of celluloid training predict. The G40+ is like that for me and I was surprised that Jim and Niraj disliked it. Maybe it was the sound and being used to Nittaku Premium.

Actually, now I think about it, it was probably that they liked the ball to react with the table a little more but I didn't find that radically different for a used XSF ball either.

Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
I have some updated information on this.

I have had about five long sessions with the G40+, and I have had lots of my clubmates try them. Until this week I had mainly been using them since I received them because I wanted to get as familiar with them as possible. With time now (about 10 hours of play in total) I will revise my order of preference for plastic balls to Nittaku Premium > XSF > G40+ (from best to worst). This is something of a matter of taste, but for me at least, I am sure of it.

The main reason for this is that with a bit of wear the G40+ gets even more smooth and shiny on the surface than they are when new. Once that happens, with maybe 90-120 minutes of use, the playing properties decline a great deal. You start getting very low sliding bounces, unpredictably, since the normal bounce of this ball is very high. Also the ball becomes harder to control. This sliding does not happen when they are new, at least not as much. No ball maintains its playability for as long as XSF, but Nittaku Premium starts very good and stays good longer. In my view, this is a major downside of the G40+ especially considering price.

In tournaments it will matter less since you will mostly use new balls. Expect a lot of tournaments, especially in the US to use G40+ balls.

Everybody who has tried them at my club has said they feel very fast, more so as they get shinier on the outside. With the speed and high bounce, the game becomes distinctly less spin oriented.

Some people will probably like the high speed/usually high bounce combination but I definitely don't, because that is also when the bounces start to get strange. I haven't managed to break one yet (except for one I stomped on in anger), but it hardly matters if their wear makes them not useful for other reasons.

I am going back to the Nittaku Premiums as my ball of choice.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2015
I bought 12 pack of this ball. I used Nittaku premium plastic for 4 month before.

What I notice is low residue on new ball. Ball feel is a little more like celluloid than Nittaku. Both ball are the best poly ball I have used (also use XSN ball for months). the butterfly seem more white and easy to see, but it is new.

One thing that I notice and its probably in my head, but the G40+ seem to have a sharper up/down on loops. Like the spin is sharper and trajectory is higher. It is probably just in my mind, or due to the logo being large and showing spin better, but that has been my experience so far.