China Super League Introduces Two-Colour Ball

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2012
Well i think that "the simpler it gets, the more it depends on difficulty" (understanding that complexity is different than difficulty) so the sport tends more to the development of the body rather than the capability to "think outside the box"... And whether that's good or bad depends on each one of us :) {personally i like it simpler}

And if it's just a sadis(sarcas)tical joke... Lemme tell you that using pokeballs to play table tennis would look funny but not classy at all :confused:

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2014
Read 2 reviews
This change have good and bad sides... Bad sides are for players who serves with a LOT of spin, the rotation of the ball will be completely revealed...
A good side is that for us who watch, we can see how much spin for example Ma Long and Dima put on their serves, also makes it more entertaining for peoples who are not interested in table tennis but watch the Chinese league, then they can understand how good the pro's actually are and see which incredible spin their serves have.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2012
I think there must be a technology answer to this issue. The problem appears to be that people want the spin of the ball to be highlighted to help make watching the sport more appealing to the general public with no understanding of the game. However by colouring and marking the ball in the visible spectrum this means that the ball becomes both much easier to read and distracting and confusing and wearing for the player. I think the answer should be to use markings on the ball which are not visible to the normal human eye, that is use markings which are present in a different part of the spectrum e.g. UV or IR. Suitable lighting and camera equipment can then be used to film and show the spin of the ball with absolutely no impact on the players themselves.

I assume the major issue is to try to improve television/video appeal and audiences for the sport rather than live audiences. However even for live audiences those That wished could perhaps choose to wear special glasses to show up the spinning ball.

I also believe the sport should be looking at all the ball tracking and measuring technology which is already available for adaptation from other sports. What about maximum ball speed measurements and readings displayed on court like in Tennis, ball tracking replays showing the full shot trajectory like those used for Wimbledon line calls, nicks meters like those used in Cricket, cameras inside the net and the table. Also far more use of over head cameras, or indeed cameras on small drones flying high above the table.

However there are also many many other things the sport could do to gain visibility and publicity and raise its media and public presence. I can only presume there is a lack of imagination, drive, marketing knowledge, and marketing money in the game. We have a great product, but there are many competing sports, so it's sell sell sell boys and girls.

Reactions: perniciousnc
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2014
Read 6 reviews
You guys all know the feeling. You have just set down to serve after a heavy underspin serve and now you setup for it again. But as your wrist is about to snap, contacting the ball, it stops and instead of brushing the ball you hit if—a no spin serve. The satisfaction when the pm return is a push and it goes 5 or 6 inches above the net, allowing you to drive-smash it, is great. I feel a huge satisfaction in a successfully serve.

With a colored ball, there is no disguise. The players will attack the serve, a second ball attack. The serve will be a disadvantage, allowing the other player the first attack, also resulting in seven shorter rallies than there are now. To me, bad idea

Reactions: elrigo99
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2010
Well said. I agree very much. There are many many possibility to increase the sports, from the live recording, environment itself, to after game promotions.

ittf is very primitive, and i think it's because of the lack of money and the leadership. I really can't believe how it is happening. the good news is that they are making many more videos on youtube, but the website still bugs me.

with 2/3 more cameras they can already do a lot of things, but bird views camera is hard for them to set up, and speed capturing also. I don't think they are ready to launch money costing thing, given that website is still here (if they have money, i don't think that website will still be here.

I think there must be a technology answer to this issue. The problem appears to be that people want the spin of the ball to be highlighted to help make watching the sport more appealing to the general public with no understanding of the game. However by colouring and marking the ball in the visible spectrum this means that the ball becomes both much easier to read and distracting and confusing and wearing for the player. I think the answer should be to use markings on the ball which are not visible to the normal human eye, that is use markings which are present in a different part of the spectrum e.g. UV or IR. Suitable lighting and camera equipment can then be used to film and show the spin of the ball with absolutely no impact on the players themselves.

I assume the major issue is to try to improve television/video appeal and audiences for the sport rather than live audiences. However even for live audiences those That wished could perhaps choose to wear special glasses to show up the spinning ball.

I also believe the sport should be looking at all the ball tracking and measuring technology which is already available for adaptation from other sports. What about maximum ball speed measurements and readings displayed on court like in Tennis, ball tracking replays showing the full shot trajectory like those used for Wimbledon line calls, nicks meters like those used in Cricket, cameras inside the net and the table. Also far more use of over head cameras, or indeed cameras on small drones flying high above the table.

However there are also many many other things the sport could do to gain visibility and publicity and raise its media and public presence. I can only presume there is a lack of imagination, drive, marketing knowledge, and marketing money in the game. We have a great product, but there are many competing sports, so it's sell sell sell boys and girls.

This will be the biggest change for the spectator. It seems like China want the sport to reach another level with that ball and even they may be trying to attract other nations to make more players on the Chinese level. I really hope that in near future there will be a country to beat The Great China.

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀
Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
New balls guys: thanks to @zjkfanforever

agu7u2yh.jpg

Reactions: Rajah*