Cornilleau Target Pro and the spinny push

This user has no status.
Folks, for you who watched Dan review of Cornilleau Target Pro video, at one moment I was amazed (and Dan too) about the amount of spin the guy could put in his pushes, basically it was as spinny as a ghost serve, the ball literally went back to the net every time. I was wondering is this only because of his technique or it is a combination of his techniques and the rubber itself , this segment starts at 09:10 in the video. In my opinion the rubber plays an important role, because he did push once with his forehand and the result was the same

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 3 reviews
In my opinion the rubber plays an important role

It is a good and spinny rubber, as are many others out there, not even from the newest generation.

If something truly astonishing happens, it is still and will always be the player who is responsible.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
Read 3 reviews
Thin contact and the relative speed of the racket compared to the ball is the key. The ball bounces upward, the racket downward. It's important to touch the ball after the bounce.
But the Target Pro must have a grippy topsheet, because it easily imparted that amount of backspin. With a H3 it would be even more easy.

Reactions: sanavasaraja
This user has no status.
Use the upward energy of the ball right off the bounce and flick downwards with your wrist at the moment of (thin) contact. Think dropshot. It's far from being a miracle shot, it's just that it's difficult to get it consistently without the ball going into the net or jumping that little bit too high. There's a number of minor things that can go really wrong. Any grippy, not-super-bouncy setup will do :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
Read 3 reviews
The topsheet is indeed grippy, it´s just not a miracle rubber by any means.

One of our coaches get the used rubbers of Simon Gauzy and he uses it for giving multiball. It's a good but not great rubber. Good enough to play at top level but it's not a miracle as you said.

says Aging is a killer
It's not a particularly difficult stroke with any rubber. Go on a robot, or having someone serve spinny and short to you. Within 10 strokes you'll be making 2 or three bounce returns. However, I have never seen anyone do that 'ghost retirn' until that video.
I don't believe that it is easier with any type of regular inverted rubber, it is all about timing etc.

Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
its the touch , has nothing to do with the rubber ... that guy has exceptional ball feeling and can change the pressure of his grip at impact just right to make that ghost return happen ... its a high level skill coupled with exact reading of the incoming spin.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
It's not a particularly difficult stroke with any rubber. Go on a robot, or having someone serve spinny and short to you. Within 10 strokes you'll be making 2 or three bounce returns. However, I have never seen anyone do that 'ghost retirn' until that video.
I don't believe that it is easier with any type of regular inverted rubber, it is all about timing etc.

Brett has video on Ttedge where he recommends trying to do it in practice as the goal. It is a standard practice routine for high level players and a lot of the quality comes from Dan's serve, which is something that escapes people who are not reading what is happening properly.