Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I have not learnt the chiquita. So I push it wide/deep and setup a relatively easy block for my partner. At my level, a well-placed push is more rewarding vs a chiquita (which I don't possess in my skillset). You are right about the defensive mindset. I am one of those who needs to hit 1000s of balls to feel any degree of confidence. Otherwise I am always in doubt. Need to work on playing freely. Wonder how to do that. Any tips?

Ma Long wouldn't say any different or he wouldn't train so many hours a day, would he? You're a good guy so I am not sure why you are making it sound like improving in table tennis is magic.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2012
Ma Long wouldn't say any different or he wouldn't train so many hours a day, would he? You're a good guy so I am not sure why you are making it sound like improving in table tennis is magic.

I like your objectivity. I agree there is no magic or shortcuts but wish there is some magic that will help manage the pressure in a match against a stronger opponent. :)

Browsing thru the last few pages of this thread. Some very good posts. The block vs random practice video linked to earlier in this thread helped. It led me to a video about growth mindset. I think that was good too. Keep 'em coming folks! :)

Reactions: OldschoolPenholder
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I like your objectivity. I agree there is no magic or shortcuts but wish there is some magic that will help manage the pressure in a match against a stronger opponent. :)

Browsing thru the last few pages of this thread. Some very good posts. The block vs random practice video linked to earlier in this thread helped. It led me to a video about growth mindset. I think that was good too. Keep 'em coming folks! :)

Why magic? Aren't you supposed to lose anyways? For me, it is simple - serve and return in ways that let you get into rallies. IF you can't, he is a better player so that is what is supposed to happen. If you can, then your chances are as good as they can get. Try to play the first attack as much as possible and avoid letting him get into a rhythm against you.

People who are too focused on the people they are supposed to lose to don't get better. It is important to make sure you are beating the people you are supposed to beat worse and worse playing the style you want to play. That at least makes you more secure in your level and also lets you be more consistent when taking the opportunities better players give you. And if you see a pattern in a match vs a better player, just figure out how to break it or what you need to work on to fix it so you can play on the next level.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2012
Why magic? Aren't you supposed to lose anyways? For me, it is simple - serve and return in ways that let you get into rallies. IF you can't, he is a better player so that is what is supposed to happen. If you can, then your chances are as good as they can get. Try to play the first attack as much as possible and avoid letting him get into a rhythm against you.

People who are too focused on the people they are supposed to lose to don't get better. It is important to make sure you are beating the people you are supposed to beat worse and worse playing the style you want to play. That at least makes you more secure in your level and also lets you be more consistent when taking the opportunities better players give you. And if you see a pattern in a match vs a better player, just figure out how to break it or what you need to work on to fix it so you can play on the next level.

"People who are too focused on the people they are supposed to lose to don't get better." Thank you for that really! I badly needed that perspective.

This user has no status.

You already gave this very sound advice some posts ago, and i had forgotten it at some point. I have been adopting this mindset as well and I can see very tangible results.

This user has no status.
Otherwise I am always in doubt. Need to work on playing freely. Wonder how to do that. Any tips?

me too. I gave an example above about how I am learning. Never say you are playing bad during a match. Focus on how well you play and how you can play. Don't focus too much on the other guy's strengths, but more on yours.

Don't think "*IF* I do this and that then I can beat him."
Instead tell to yourself "I'll do this and that, and I'll beat him". If you don't believe it, repeat it until you do.

Don't think "I HAVE to put that long push receive deep on the table"
Instead tell to yourself "I WILL put that long push receive deep on the table and then i'll execute my favourite FH attack"

etc... You'll play more freely if you don't always worry if you are going to hit correctly the next ball, and if after you hit it its on the table. Don't worry about it, get already ready for the next shot.

BTW i'm not making it myself, I'm just copying paste what I've seen from multiple resources.

I think one who can always apply that instantly wins 200 points.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
Need to work on playing freely. Wonder how to do that. Any tips?

On another forum, NL recommended playing matches without keeping score. Just 2 serves each and then switch.

When I was rated in the 1300-1400 range, I used to do that all the time with my 1700 level practice partner. I improved greatly and learned how to play freely. But then for some stupid reason, I stopped doing it and started keeping score every game again. So I reverted back to caring too much about missing and I became very results oriented again.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
Personally I look at the score from time to time, but I try not to look at it every point. It adds pressure to think about it. On the other hand, the opponent may feel the pressure as well so you have to take this into account as well. And you must follow the score because there is always a right time when you need to make some adjustments (take more risks for example, or try a new tactic/serve/receive)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
Personally I look at the score from time to time, but I try not to look at it every point. It adds pressure to think about it. On the other hand, the opponent may feel the pressure as well so you have to take this into account as well. And you must follow the score because there is always a right time when you need to make some adjustments (take more risks for example, or try a new tactic/serve/receive)

I agree, which is why I think you need to play matches where you keep track of the score, too.

But when I went from 1300's to the 1700's, I was playing probably 75-80% of my practice matches without keeping score, versus only 20-25% where I was keeping score. When I hit a massive plateau around 1700, I was playing 100% of my matches keeping score. So it's definitely given me some food for thought.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Along with what NL said , normally , it should be easier to play stronger opponent. You are supposed to lose to him, and you don't have a chance unless you play aggressive , so automatically you should play free , because you will find a silver lining no matter how you lose .. I generally play a level or two better than my level when I play better players ... so just speaking from experience

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
The point is also that if the student is struggling in the beginning, impress upon the student that it should a cognitive process and that over time, the brain will make the reads faster and select and adjust properly. Just get them to focus on their technique rather than putting the ball on the table. The ball will go on the table as their brain adjusts better but if they focus on putting the ball on the table in the beginning, their technique will suffer.

SAGE ADVICE!

So many different aspects of life, people focus on the results and not the process ... sadly sacrifice the longterm for the shorterm immediate gratification of returning the ball and landing it.

EDIT: posted this quote a few times already ...

"The years teach us much which the days never know."
~
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
3- Go to the ball !!! a block should be done as soon as possible after the bounce. of course not at the bounce because the ball would end up in the net, but as soon as the ball is playable. The earlier you take the ball, the more control you have ! and even better, the more agressive shot it becomes ! to give even more control, especially if the upcoming ball has a lot of SPIN, relax your wrist and the racket will absorb some energy. if you take the ball too late, it will be even spinnier and more difficult to control. OK, sometimes you will see pros blocking the ball far from the table, but we're not pros...

I do this with my blocking as well as smashing ... sometimes important to change the tempo/rhythm by speeding it up or slowing it down, as well as place it left, place it right, and place it long or short

Yin-Yang / In-Yo to me.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
march 18-25 i shall be in the manhattan nyc area =]

HMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!! finally will get my 9 points from you!

last time you mentioned it was to be business... guessing you posted here to mean you would have time for a meetup?

EDIT: although my shoulder is not 100 % :(

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Hardcore play, the last 4 days.
Thursday, only high level player's, breaking in fastarc g-1.

Friday: training partner, drills and then matches focusing on using energy in every point.

Saturday: Non-Sanctioned tournament, Got 2nd place. Lost to Parviz, (22-2300 usatt), to be expected. After tournament hit with our japanese god for a good two hours. Mostly him giving me advice, tips, coaching. VERY valuable 2500 player time.

Sunday: Lessons with coach, took about 3 hours of practice with her, ate, then got a call from our japanese god to come hit with him again (of course I wasn't skipping the opportunity.(

all in all, fantastic past few days.

CONGRATULATIONS!!! That is great news on all fronts!

*mulls over asking for 10 points now*

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Getting back to regular TT. As in 3-4 sessions a week. Played a league with friends on saturday. Lost every match. Somehow I find it tough to break out of a defeat or a certain mindset in a league.

Played a knockout tournament yesterday. Lost in 3rd round. Lost in doubles first round, though we should have played better. Repeatedly pushed cut serves into the net in doubles because I was feeling pressure from a stronger opponent. Should work on all aspects of the game, esp. receive and controlling the receive to different areas. My serves aren't very good either but it is good enough to prevent an outright return winner. My blocks and loops were good. Adaptation was not so good.

Note to self: Keep following this thread and learn from others' mistakes and drills.

Nice to see you back on this thread!

IIRC (old man memory) - someone here or on your thread posted that you were probably better than a lot of the members here!

Relaxation is key. But I'm sure you know that.

Easier to say than do.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
On another forum, NL recommended playing matches without keeping score. Just 2 serves each and then switch.

When I was rated in the 1300-1400 range, I used to do that all the time with my 1700 level practice partner. I improved greatly and learned how to play freely. But then for some stupid reason, I stopped doing it and started keeping score every game again. So I reverted back to caring too much about missing and I became very results oriented again.

This is focused in the right direction. This is one of the kinds of things you want to do. But let's not even call it a game. Let's call it a drill.

You do a drill where you serve two serves and your training partner serves two serves. You are both playing as though it is a match from the tactics and strategizing standpoint. But there are a few distinctions:

1) for the drill, it is more beneficial to play missed serves as nets so that the server gets to play two points out working his 3rd and/or 5th ball strategies. And so the receiver gets to receive two live serves and work his strategies on the receive side.

2) even though, from a strategy standpoint you are playing to win each point, you should not consider whether you win the point in the execution side of things. In other words, if there is a ball YOU SHOULD attack, but in match play you might not because you are scared to mess up, in the drill YOU should ATTACK that ball. In the drill you are working on the strategies of match play. But you are not worried about or even thinking of the consequences of making or missing your shots.

You work your strategies AND go for your shots.

Part of the idea is that this trains you to take the shots you should without worrying whether you should at crunch time in a match.

Therefore you don't even have to think about any of those things Takkyu is talking about when he is telling you to think positively.

In a way, what Takkyu is saying is how you want to approach things. But you actually don't even want to be thinking those things. The training should set you so you respond in the moment, making the best decision, the best choice of responses to what you face without thinking. So what he is talking about is an attitude and approach you should already embody from training to make the right shot decisions IN MATCH SIMULATION.

But that is only one of the drills that will help strangeloop's response at crunch time. It may be the most important one for a time. But there are others. Here are two more that would also be really valuable for elevating your play at crunch time rather than the opposite:

Crunch Time Drill #1:

You start a game at 9-9. One training partner serves first. When that game is over, the other training partner serves first. You are trying to win the game and the game starts at 9-9 with one player getting two serves. You do it over and over and over and over. Can you win your two serves and end the game when it is your serve at 9-9? Can you take two points from your training partner when he serves at 9-9? How well do you handle deuce?

Crunch Time Drill #2:

You serve. And you keep serving until your training partner can win two points in a row off your serve. You try to keep your serve. He tries to win the serve from you. If he wins 2 points in a row, he takes the serve. Then you need to try to win 2 points in a row to take the serve back from him. And then you continue.

The drill with 2 serves each as though you are playing a match but without counting points is very important and will help you make better decisions in match play. But the other two drills that are about playing during crunch time will be very valuable for those situations where you need to make your points against a tough opponent towards the close of games.

Sent from The Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Something kinda radical going on I suppose in my game recently.

I'm making the switch to shakehand.

Yep. Felt like I had plateaued some time ago playing penhold. As a little background, I started out shakehand and switched oh about 7 years ago to penhold. But after hitting this wall (which wasn't that high) and never seemingly progressing past that, just ready for a switch. I was playing Cpen short pips & long pips twiddle game. Primarily a TBH penholder. But you can only "trick" your club mates for so long. Sooner or later, you have to out play them and I just got tired of feeling like they're the hammer & i'm the nail. Problem was, every time I tried switching back to inverted on my penhold, my FH just felt off. So if I'm making a switch, might as well do it with no disadvantages.

I know this varies from player to player but for me?... Man shakehand just makes the game easier.

First & probably most importantly of all, I can simply feel the ball better with the natural handle grip. So all of a sudden looping backspin is easier. Push game is easier. Honestly blocking is easier. Basically everything.

My training partner came over last night and we were simply having some great points. I've always had a backhand. Being a penhold TPB guy, that was kinda lost. Nice to have that weapon back in my game. Now it's all about developing that forehand. So far so good. It doesn't feel so awkward which I consider a huge success at this point.

I will continue to practice and hopefully bring some video club play soon for feedback.