Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Yeah for sure. I've used that tactic successfully for some time now. It's great for killing momentum and usually works. I called timeout at 10-8 but still just couldn't finish the deal.

He changed his service tactics as he tends to serve long and he saw that wasn't working. He went to serving short and I guess started to beat me in short game.

What I'd like to work on or learn more about is push game tactics. I feel like mostly I just soft tap it back trying to play it short. Of course they can just tap it right back. I know I don't utilize the long hard push enough. That ball is well off the table and they're basically forced to open up or if they push or chop back, then I will get an open up opportunity. But yes in the end, I need more short game variation tactics I'd like to work on.

ex: if it' possible to sometimes push short heavy backspin or sometimes basically try a non-spiny short push almost killing the spin.

The tactic should not be used to kill momentum even if that is a reasonable side effect in some instances. The tactic should be used to put yourself in the best mental position to win the points you need to win.

I stress to people all the time that whether it it works or not, the focus of a timeout should always be on putting yourself in the best mental/physical position to play the points that follow.

That you served an experimental serve means that you are still in that phase of your TT growth where you think mistakes are inevitable when you have big leads, which is especially a dangerous way to think facing a better player. I will tell you that above a certain level (maybe USATT 1800), a lot comes down to training and experience and people don't miss things they train so you have to figure out the strategy or tactical sequence to draw errors. OF course, they make mistakes, but they often just play the way they trained and if they do decently well with those moves in training, then you need to figure out what makes them miss in matches and not just put it down to random error.

I have seen and experienced the "I am 6 pts up and can do anything to win" turn into "how did I lose that game" based on a mental attitude that didn't see any danger. Introducing discipline into your TT play selection will always improve your game. You get a better insight into how some of the top level Chinese play and prepare when you hear them speak. They observe and practice against their opponent's dominant tendencies and errors and master the optimal ball placements in response to their opponent's shots. While of course there is a lot of execution, there is much more planning than meets the eye in those matches. That's why all those notebooks with those JApanese girls are helpful - they remind them where they should put the ball and where they should expect the ball.

This user has no status.
The tactic should not be used to kill momentum even if that is a reasonable side effect in some instances. The tactic should be used to put yourself in the best mental position to win the points you need to win.

I stress to people all the time that whether it it works or not, the focus of a timeout should always be on putting yourself in the best mental/physical position to play the points that follow.

That you served an experimental serve means that you are still in that phase of your TT growth where you think mistakes are inevitable when you have big leads, which is especially a dangerous way to think facing a better player. I will tell you that above a certain level (maybe USATT 1800), a lot comes down to training and experience and people don't miss things they train so you have to figure out the strategy or tactical sequence to draw errors. OF course, they make mistakes, but they often just play the way they trained and if they do decently well with those moves in training, then you need to figure out what makes them miss in matches and not just put it down to random error.

I have seen and experienced the "I am 6 pts up and can do anything to win" turn into "how did I lose that game" based on a mental attitude that didn't see any danger. Introducing discipline into your TT play selection will always improve your game. You get a better insight into how some of the top level Chinese play and prepare when you hear them speak. They observe and practice against their opponent's dominant tendencies and errors and master the optimal ball placements in response to their opponent's shots. While of course there is a lot of execution, there is much more planning than meets the eye in those matches. That's why all those notebooks with those JApanese girls are helpful - they remind them where they should put the ball and where they should expect the ball.

Sometimes when i'm hard beaten like 1-8, especially against a tough opponent, i like to lose it 1-11 and try flukes for the last points, because sometimes the opponent is surprised when at the next set, i refocus and play much better, they don't expect that and it can affect their confidence and focus as well. Of course, if i have 3 lucky points and it becomes 4-8, i would start to play more normally and try to go for the remontada.

But yeh when its me in the lead i know its important to kill the set quickly because if the opponent scores 2 or 3 good points its giving him ideas for the rest of the match

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Sometimes when i'm hard beaten like 1-8, especially against a tough opponent, i like to lose it 1-11 and try flukes for the last points, because sometimes the opponent is surprised when at the next set, i refocus and play much better, they don't expect that and it can affect their confidence and focus as well. Of course, if i have 3 lucky points and it becomes 4-8, i would start to play more normally and try to go for the remontada.

But yeh when its me in the lead i know its important to kill the set quickly because if the opponent scores 2 or 3 good points its giving him ideas for the rest of the match
My approach is to always try different plays and to always play seriously. I might try serves or plays I rarely use but used at one time, whether fast long serves, backhand reverse or baby tomahawk. I might chop long serves or just pop up the ball and run back on rare points. You never know what will win points and expose weaknesses.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
@NextLevel

Doesn't a timeout also let your OPPONENT gather themselves for the next points?

Sure. And he could also gather himself without the timeout or get coaching. That is why the focus of a timeout is YOU. Focusing on what the opponent needs is dangerous unless you know him well.

In fact many players do not know how to talk to themselves during their own timeouts. Their timeouts can hurt them. I was down 4-7 in a match vs a player 300pts below me, won a point for 5-7 and called a timeout. No coach. It was the final game and I wanted to be in the best mental state and convince myself to play to win by looping. I won the next 3 points and he called a timeout. He was trying to ice me but just looking at him, you could tell he had no clue what to say to himself during the timeout. I won 11-8.

The same player was up 10-7 against a player 250 pts above him and when we tried to call a timeout for him, he berated us and said he didn't need help. But people can usually tell when you are not making the right self talk to handle a situation.

Focus in what you need to play better. The rest is useless.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
I said last week and/or 2 weeks ago that i would be back to the TT club after 4-6 weeks off due to driving with my eldest daughter in preparing her for her Road Test for her Driver's License.

Haven't been able to go... going to play tonight finally!!! WOOHOO!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
Read 3 reviews
A 12 yo. boy will join our club, who was trained in china (he is chinese). I am curious what will the coaches do if they see chinese style looping just like me. It's because they teach shorter movements (not extremely short, just shorter).

The chinese boy is a beginner.
Maybe I will offer him some coaching in return for help in my chinese homework :)

Reactions: OldschoolPenholder
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I am now certain I have a few tears in a muscle attaching to my waist, grade 1 tears, not major or complete tore off, but they do not go away right away and stop me from explosive movement to my side. I really rely on being able to do that.

Now I will have to stand at the table like the typical fat 50 yr old and take everything off the bounce for a week or two. Oh well, I need to develop those strokes anyway for the TT toolkit...

Damn my waist muscles must have been week (and tight/inflexible) for years, prolly improper posture, lack of morning core exercises, and just a little bear fat. My focus will be to heal the tears, do my waist strengthening and flexibility routine when the waist is ready. Damn my lazy, fat, tight self.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I am now certain I have a few tears in a muscle attaching to my waist, grade 1 tears, not major or complete tore off, but they do not go away right away and stop me from explosive movement to my side. I really rely on being able to do that.

Now I will have to stand at the table like the typical fat 50 yr old and take everything off the bounce for a week or two. Oh well, I need to develop those strokes anyway for the TT toolkit...

Damn my waist muscles must have been week (and tight/inflexible) for years, prolly improper posture, lack of morning core exercises, and just a little bear fat. My focus will be to heal the tears, do my waist strengthening and flexibility routine when the waist is ready. Damn my lazy, fat, tight self.

So hard to say what the injury might be. But, at some point doing squats for strength and some stretching for all that stuff would be useful. While the injury is fresh, you don't really want to stretch yet. Maybe something like:

IMG_1493.jpg

IMG_1544.jpg

When you are ready for stretching.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
The west coast goon squad needs you for CLC man :) , get your ass fixed ... do whatever you need to do ... jk .. take care and get well soon !

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I just completed a 7.5 hr session at the club today, I did sat on my fat azz maybe 30 minutes total. Of course I wasn't really chasing any wide balls to my FH like a hound after rabbits, but I did often take one step and pound the ball. Definitely feels like a few grade one tears. I've been down that road before, same place, same feeling. As long as I do not do any explosive movements to the side after balls for a couple weeks it is all fine enough later, until I do an 8 hr session exploding to hit balls like cannon shot.

I will receive a far infared wrap large enough to fit over Santa Claus' midsection to heat up and heal my sore azz.

Don't tell me I would be the linchpin on this special TT Goon Squad in Ur area Monster, California sez Der_Echte is a fat, fifty year old 1800 level washed-up one-n-done chump. My last three official tourneys in CA confirm that.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
This tournament is not official but its an office tournament so a lot of good players play it for pride. You will see the fun if you get to turn up on one of the "Super Sundays" ..... the objective is to play and have fun competing ... I have to ourselves a certified 2200 player but how available he would be be is another story ... the thing is if I fill the team with too many high level players , we might ensure winning but not a whole lot would get the chance to play ... kind of dicey ...

btw, I played the swan league yesterday and somehow managed to get beaten 3-2 by pretty much everybody ... rusty !!! but I am happier with my performance than last week where I actually won more but I was not playing well ... I moved better this time around ... what a conundrum ...

I just completed a 7.5 hr session at the club today, I did sat on my fat azz maybe 30 minutes total. Of course I wasn't really chasing any wide balls to my FH like a hound after rabbits, but I did often take one step and pound the ball. Definitely feels like a few grade one tears. I've been down that road before, same place, same feeling. As long as I do not do any explosive movements to the side after balls for a couple weeks it is all fine enough later, until I do an 8 hr session exploding to hit balls like cannon shot.

I will receive a far infared wrap large enough to fit over Santa Claus' midsection to heat up and heal my sore azz.

Don't tell me I would be the linchpin on this special TT Goon Squad in Ur area Monster, California sez Der_Echte is a fat, fifty year old 1800 level washed-up one-n-done chump. My last three official tourneys in CA confirm that.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
I tried to get a Korean guy just for you to keep chatting on the side of matches, but the guy chickened out ... but I have recurited a 2100 lefty who used be 2300 ...

Here's how the team looks now .. without giving the names out ... in case the opponent sends out Goon Squad after them ...

<style type="text/css"><!--td {border: 1px solid #ccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}--></style>
Current RatingHighest rating
Cannot findCannot find

<tbody>
</tbody>

@DerEchte , does any of the numbers look familiar ... are you sure you don't have the 5th one written on a sticky on your fridge :)
We gonna need to do some side bets for Korean dinner to spice it all up...

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Nah my tire is not doing good, I moved it to the rear ...
Anyone calling me out for being hypo-crip can bend down and lick their toe jam, I traded in a used car for another and lowered my monthly payment. Look at the logo shine when U open the door.

Monster, your tire doing OK?