Demo of Ma long Ghost spin variation used at critical points

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2015
Read 3 reviews
Update1: A slow motion video of my version of Ma long's all serve variations

Hello everyone, Ma long uses heavy backspin serve at critical moments of the game by catching his opponents of guard with those serves. This is an inspired video. However, I have to state that my contact is little different from Ma long' contact.

The reason mainly is that Ma long uses an inclined contact to generate Backspin. It is the same motion he uses for sidespin, sidespin-backspin variations. I am using more flat contact to gain more contact time and bring the ball back to net. When inclined contact is used, great amount of backspin can be imparted but only with flatter contact nice ghost spins could be produced fofr demonstration purposes.

I had already shot the tutorial for how to perform this serve. Since the video is in editing phase, I ll upload it around this weekend. Thanks again for watching!

Last edited:
Reactions: anchorschmidt
says Hi In first i want to thank you for your interest...
says Hi In first i want to thank you for your interest...
Feb 2015
Read 6 reviews
nothing bad on yours serves but the titles are make it looks like joke ...
go your way or name it rather "inspired by ...."
when it is done by ma long or any other player then it can be called this way

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 7 reviews
I think you guys a being a bit harsh. He's just classifying the serve that he's doing and not claiming that it has the same quality as Ma Long's serve.

A lot of tutorials are named this way (for example
) and let's face it, you have to have an eye-catching title on Youtube.

@Siva, can you please also show the difference between in the inclined contact and the flat contact in your Demo? It's hard to pick in the video.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 7 reviews
how does this serve differ from a regular backspin serve?

The handle is pointing backwards (away from the table) instead of towards the body. This makes it more difficult to see the difference between the normal pendulum service and the backspin service.

This is how most people do a backspin service:

Reactions: Siva Schopenhauer
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2015
Read 3 reviews
I think you guys a being a bit harsh. He's just classifying the serve that he's doing and not claiming that it has the same quality as Ma Long's serve.

A lot of tutorials are named this way (for example
) and let's face it, you have to have an eye-catching title on Youtube.

@Siva, can you please also show the difference between in the inclined contact and the flat contact in your Demo? It's hard to pick in the video.

Hi Anchor, I haven't used the inclined contact because the degree of inclination is inversely proportional to the spin imparted. It is very difficult to bring back the ball to net with inclined contact. I have linked the vidoe of MA long vs Fang Bo for illustration. Check @1:37, Ma long usually does this serve at critical points of the game. You can find these serves every 1 or 2 times in each game.

Reactions: Suga D
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
how does this serve differ from a regular backspin serve?

I agree with this. I think Anchorschmidt's video shows a totally basic serve where the guy hasn't even changed the grip for the serve and he even says with a topspin serve you go over the ball. That info is for a total beginner.

That being said, Siva's pendulum backspin serve is decent. A bit high. But decent. He has good serves.

It doesn't have much to do with Ma Long's serve. But...hey, my guess is, unless the tutorial was REALLY GOOD on HOW TO DO THIS SERVE, more people will look and find it foolish that Ma Long's name is in there as if you were going to see Ma Long demonstrating.

That being said, nice serves.

Sent from Deep Space by Abacus

Reactions: NextLevel
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Yeah, Carl, I agree that the video was a bit too basic. Perhaps this is a better example of what most backspin serves are like:

Good video. And Aloise's serve similar enough to Siva's to reinforce kukamonga's point. Not the same, but at least as close to Aloise's serve as to Ma Long's. [emoji2]

Sent from Deep Space by Abacus

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2015
Read 3 reviews
Yes anchor, It is definitely possible. But, the main intention was to generate ghost serves. Did you see that point in the video of Ma long-Fang bo? I don't think the ball has enough momentum to reach back to the net. I spoke about this theme in the above rough cut video.

The reason to demonstrate heavy backspin was to make it clear to the wider audience of Youtube and also for educational purpose. If I was demonstrating with inclined contact, the audience would find it hard to understand what spin has been imparted into the ball. The main idea of that vidoe was to clearly show that backspin has been imparted onto the ball.

Completely agree with the point of inclined contact being more deceptive and also with Brett clarke's advice.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2015
Read 3 reviews
First of all every Backspin serve is a backspin serve regardless of who serves it. It is not about backspin but about the movement, contact and fake follow through motion.

Regarding that aspect Aloise's contact and follow through motion is completely different from mine.

I consider my movement to be much more sophisticated than his with regard to the way I contacted the ball. Though my communications skills aren't that great, I try to make that point in the rough cut video above :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2015
Read 3 reviews
Hi Upsidedown, The serve was quite high because the technique deployed was new to me. So, I was worrying about imparting heavy backspin than about the height. Since, I have not used swivelling contact or cutting through the ball from side ways, It was difficult task for me to work on the contact.

i disgree with you on this not being related to Ma long. First of all I have incorporated some feedbacks from last iteration such as to shift weight from passive leg to active leg and also on using a loose wrist. It helped me immensively to iprove on such aspects. This serve is the second iteration of Ma long's serve series. You have to understand that my main goal is to create awareness and possibly help other beginner and intermediate players to better understand about serving aspect of the game. I am a beginner and the claim would be attractive to many fellow beginners like me throughout the world.

Second point of this intitative to is to bolster confidence on other beginners like me. When I can do it? Of coure many can do it?

Third point is I'm working on serves of other players too. So, mainly the quality is compromised on the quantity. Further, I don't have CNT team or afford personal coaches to help me on this part. i emulate what I see.

There are thousands of videos on Youtube which does the same like me and they have fairly wider audience over the years. So, i don't think many would think me as fools. Rather, someone who tries to experiment. Channels of PIngskills, Brett clarke and many more use titles as such and also their techniques are different from reality. I have clearly said that it is a demonstration. i am not able to construe that as misleading :)

Reactions: anchorschmidt
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
This user has been banned.
Feb 2016
honestly the way you put the blade is too horizontal so it's pretty easy to guess if it's backspin or not.
I think for me it's more difficult to guess serves where the top of the blade ends up pointing down and the handle ends up pointing to the skies where some will go if we follow the teachings of ala.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 7 reviews
i disgree with you on this not being related to Ma long. First of all I have incorporated some feedbacks from last iteration such as to shift weight from passive leg to active leg and also on using a loose wrist. It helped me immensively to iprove on such aspects. This serve is the second iteration of Ma long's serve series. You have to understand that my main goal is to create awareness and possibly help other beginner and intermediate players to better understand about serving aspect of the game. I am a beginner and the claim would be attractive to many fellow beginners like me throughout the world.

Second point of this intitative to is to bolster confidence on other beginners like me. When I can do it? Of coure many can do it?

Siva, keep doing what you do :). I have been a content creator myself and there are many types of feedback. Some people like Carl disagree respectfully and that's very normal and many times also helpful. Some people like to leave much harsher comments that are not even constructive. In the first case, read the comment objectively and take what can you from it and in the second case spare yourself some time and headache and just ignore.

Perhaps I am also mistaken, but I think that your serve is more similar to Ma Long's service than Alois's service. It might be easier to pick now but spin/no-spin with this motion after it is more refined is very hard to pick.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2015
Read 3 reviews
honestly the way you put the blade is too horizontal so it's pretty easy to guess if it's backspin or not.
I think for me it's more difficult to guess serves where the top of the blade ends up pointing down and the handle ends up pointing to the skies where some will go if we follow the teachings of ala.

That is true. When the blade is horizontal, one can easliy identify such as backspin. But, on the contrary, you can also generate topspin with flat blades. check out the new video added to the first post. Please update me if you could find clear difference between top spin and backspin in that video. Thanks for the feedback :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2015
Read 3 reviews
Siva, keep doing what you do :). I have been a content creator myself and there are many types of feedback. Some people like Carl disagree respectfully and that's very normal and many times also helpful. Some people like to leave much harsher comments that are not even constructive. In the first case, read the comment objectively and take what can you from it and in the second case spare yourself some time and headache and just ignore.

Perhaps I am also mistaken, but I think that your serve is more similar to Ma Long's service than Alois's service. It might be easier to pick now but spin/no-spin with this motion after it is more refined is very hard to pick.

Hi Anchor, Thanks for understanding me. Being content creator also takes a lot of work like 6 to hours per video. When it is misconstrued, it really pains. No I didn't take you in the wrong sense. I made a new video with slow motion so that everyone could understand what I meant. In the new video, I have used horizontal blade movement for most of the serve variations. I hope to do a new video with inclined variations in the near future.

I appreciate your feedback :)