Der_Echte in NYC V2.0 Re-Loaded

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I intend to be in NYC this weekend, hopefully Friday Night, if not, then real early Saturday.

I am loaded for bear with several specials, the Re-Built Monster (120 gram Allround Evolution) and my main new WMD (Weapon of MASS Destruction) the Nexy Kanaph.

I will be gunning for the Korean TT club in Flushing looking to take them for every penny of dinner bets and after TT-Action Chicken & Beer they can stand.

It will be HUGE and insane, the more who can show up, the better. This is going to be like a giant FB block party for the TT community around NYC.

Post Ur boasts here and let's see how it rolls !!

Last time around, you remember it was just Carl and Ming, this time, let's totally BLITZ the Flushing Korean club !!!

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Looks like it is going to be a Saturday only mission. (No place to stay overnight Friday) However, it will be a mission to remember. Everyone bring Ur TT friends to this TT frenzy. Agold ! You still in NYC and didn't go to Baltimore Teams Tourney? I'll cough you up a real 896 special to test and pass around the TT world. Don't let Carl get hiz paws on it, or he will be looping all day and not want to cough it back up!

I think I will get there by noon or so and hit the Flushing Korean TT club and who knows what after mission gunna happen with crazy Koreans and Der_Echte in the house, so I will likely be back at the bus terminal in a good mood very early Sunday AM. :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2014
Read 6 reviews
Looks like it is going to be a Saturday only mission. (No place to stay overnight Friday) However, it will be a mission to remember. Everyone bring Ur TT friends to this TT frenzy. Agold ! You still in NYC and didn't go to Baltimore Teams Tourney? I'll cough you up a real 896 special to test and pass around the TT world. Don't let Carl get hiz paws on it, or he will be looping all day and not want to cough it back up!

I think I will get there by noon or so and hit the Flushing Korean TT club and who knows what after mission gunna happen with crazy Koreans and Der_Echte in the house, so I will likely be back at the bus terminal in a good mood very early Sunday AM. :)

I think I can come. I have also been chopping with that other bat and have been lending it to people at my schools table tennis club which I co-run. Thanks! Should I actually tell people?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Super Moderator
Mar 2012
Read 20 reviews
Wont be the same without you.

Giant, you got more TT action in Europe than you can shake a stick at, I am envious.
True that Will! :) but it could be great to meet up with the stars. I am referring to you guys here ;) When you are pointing your nose in the direction of Europe then come by DK :) Our club just got an awesome new venue to play in :)

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Hehe, agold showed up and when he posted, I was on the road to NYC not able to look at messages or post :)

Summary of action...

Traffic kept me late, even though I left at 2:30 !!!

I showed up around 7:30 PM, met agold, Carl, and MyTT forum members Opinari and Ping Pong Holic.

Our table time ended quickly, I only had time to have agold hit a few loops with the BEAST 220g Allround Evolution and the Der_Echte special 896 with Aurus/XP2008.

I left the Der_Echte special (modified to be +15 grams downlow) with agold and he returned the Instinkt+ version of my previous (un-modified) special.

We really didn't have time for pics, so I told everyone totake a selfie and post it :)

Carl and PP Holic joined me for a ride in the batmobile to Wang Chen TTC and I played a match vs Carl and PP Holic that I surprisingly won, given my lack of practice, lack of TT fitness, and the absolute horrible worst terrible performance (or lack of) at Boston TTC the prior day for 6 hours. Right now, I need to use my arms to lift my legs to get them to move anywhere. :)

PP Holic got the club manager (The MASTER) to play vs me with a cheep hardbat (ALL class blade with cheap Short Pips OX rubber) Usually the Master can chop down or outlast most 2000 USATT rated players using that setup. I see why, he can keep it on the table and keep bring it back, or he can attack well. I am accustomed to OX (as long as they do not hit flat drives first to my crossover) and am comfortable. I have a very heavy opener and a BH attack. I won two games and coach ditched the hardbat and picked up a C-Pen bat from PP Holic and we played. I won a game, then coach won next two. I won the next one and we got to deuce in 5th with at least 3-4 deuces before coach won. MAN !!! That coach can attack and bring the heat. Fortunately, I can also block close to the table and he gave me a lot of chances to run him around to get to those blocks. Nobody blocks down that coach, but I got 'er done.

We finished playing after midnight. I lost two matches vs PP Holic 2-3 both games down to the wire last match multiple deuce points. Any match could have gone either way.

I was happy that I was even able to compete, let alone win, given the prior day's heavy toll on me and poor performance. I was really out of time the day prior.

Last edited:
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Oh, I ate a real late dinner in Chinatown NYC with Ping Pong Holic and started back 4 hr drive around 1:30 AM haha. Stopped three times along the way for bathroom or stretch or Hot Cocoa and made it back safe to Boston. Now in a few hours, I have another 6 hr drive to get back home. Coming here, we had to drive through a major winter storm that had a dozen accidents around us on the freeway with many cars in ditches or flipped over. Fools with poor tires not snow rated driving like bats outta hell tend to end up that way.

Reactions: Giangt
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
oh too bad Wang Chen TTC is my club :(. Well, it was fun, even if it was just for a half hour!

Actually, we did not go to Wang Chen's, I took them to Robert Chen's. Hahaha.

I am guessing William did not know the difference. But Wang would have beat him up if he called her Robert!

Reactions: Der_Echte and agold
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
PP Holic got the club manager (The MASTER) to play vs me with a cheep hardbat (ALL class blade with cheap Short Pips OX rubber) Usually the Master can chop down or outlast most 2000 USATT rated players using that setup. I see why, he can keep it on the table and keep bring it back, or he can attack well. I am accustomed to OX (as long as they do not hit flat drives first to my crossover) and am comfortable. I have a very heavy opener and a BH attack.

That was Robert Chen, the guy whose club it is. Don't believe him. One time he played me with that silly racket and I kicked his behind. I was up 2-1 and 9-7 and he told me he was going to win, and he went into his office, took a 10 min break, and changed rackets to his regular Smooth with Long pips on the BH and when I won that game, he said, "Okay, we are playing best of 7." With his regular long pips racket he is over 2100 so I did not have much of a chance. But with that silly racket I know how to handle him.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Coach Chen put down that hardbat pretty quick, he was getting creamed, I know how to attack underspin, especially the weak ones from a hardbat. You know my BH attack vs underspin, but I broke out the cross corner FH BY-Ya on him too. He picked up Ming's C-pen And I got 1st game with that, then he started to edge me out 11-9. Master Chen would really attack hard, fast, spinny and deep, but I held the table and got a lot of my points doing the fast block HUSTLE.

Ball one: Give opponent a kinda fast underspin suddenly to their crossover, watch opponent commit to attack and get around enough on the ball to make a strong attack, (but you know and can read the angle he is attacking),

Ball Two: Block ball FAST to wide FH and get ready to say By-Ya !!, but if he gets it back, he will barely get to it and will be taking two more steps to get balance,

Ball Three (if needed) so you block it softly to BH corner and watch him desperation lunge towards ball and maybe clip it, but mostly miss it.

LULZ. The 1-2-3 blocking scheme. He would have done better to slow down 1st attack so he could get batter balance to get to my block. he was fast-attack happy as is most of his attacks like that would end the point or lead to it.

I am know for my willingness to spin the ball or go slap happy on the blocked ball, but I actually earn more points with inverted close to the table defense than brute force and ignorance offensive macho-macho-man type shots.

But give coach the credit, He won, but I made him work hiz azz off just to stay in it. Ming waz laughing hiz azz off rolling on the floor like a mad hatter watching coach try and fail to get to many of my blocks. He said it was the first time he ever saw anyone block down coach.

Blocking is an under-rated asset at any level we take for granted as a non-manly wussy kinda sell-out defensive shot, but blocking with control and pace and variation can become an intentionally effective offensive shot.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
On the other hand, when Ming and coach Chen played, it was a mid-distance battle ROYALE !!! Plenty of topspin to topspin FH and BH exchanges with strategy moving opponent then killing him like a running neck shot. Their matches were a beauty to watch.

Ming seems to have become nearly a full level better player and I have dropped minimum one half level. I wasn't a whole heap better than Ming a year ago and now, he is better than me and my sorry-azz current level. Still, I am capable of making things interesting and fun either way.

TT is such a blast and it is great we got forums like TTD to link up ahead of time and plan missions of fun and friendship.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl