Goon Squad assembling in NYC this Saturday PM

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Here goes the warm up video:

Sent from Deep Space by Abacus

Both sides look technically much better. You need to be more consistent about coming over the ball with your backhand though even when it feels uncomfortable.

This user has no status.
Mine is the PR, rosewood with soft carbon. Apparently what you used and the meant was the allwood rosewood clone of stiga's.

Tried Stiga Rosewood before but I prefer Cornilleau's rosewood instead (Gatien Glory). Haven't tried the Yinhe Rosewood you're talking about.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Both sides look technically much better. You need to be more consistent about coming over the ball with your backhand though even when it feels uncomfortable.

Yep. Some of that is that I am actually playing so little these days. I actually feel like I need someone to feed me bucket after bucket of heavy backspin to my backhand. If I really grove that for a few thousand reps, the technique would solidify. It's closer. But I feel like I need the reps.

But somehow, by not playing as much, there are a few things that were stuck that are starting to fall into place.

BTW: I think where my game has really gotten better somehow without my thinking about it, when we were playing doubles, I noticed how many opening loops from off the rackets of Ming and William I blocked or counterlooped pretty nicely without much thought or effort. There were a few I tried to blast that...well....haha....that didn't work! But the ones I used touch on gave me some great shots.

At the very end, Ming and I were doing serve and receive stuff and I wish we had videoed that because we had some loop to loop rallies that may have been the best I've ever played. After Ming told me my level jumped.

And he kind of knows. Because he has been helping me work on the third ball with the BH.

Last edited:
Reactions: OldschoolPenholder
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Mine is the PR, rosewood with soft carbon. Apparently what you used and the meant was the allwood rosewood clone of stiga's.

Tried Stiga Rosewood before but I prefer Cornilleau's rosewood instead (Gatien Glory). Haven't tried the Yinhe Rosewood you're talking about.

Too many blades to try. The Soft Carbon Rosewood clone would be fun to try also.

The Yinhe All Wood Rosewood clone of the Stiga Rosewood is probably one of the best clone blades I have tried.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
It's probably because you left that MX-P behind. People underestimate what Tenergy 05 can do for you if you let your technique do it.

I've gotta say, I hope that Tenergy wouldn't be what got me more relaxed and tracking the ball better. Although, I hate to admit it, Tenergy is darn good rubber. But after this set is toast, I have a set of MX-P/FX-P waiting for me.

Anyway, I've been playing with Tenergy for a few months and the last several times I hit with Ming I had Tenergy on. What I think it is, is three simple things:

1) Ming really forced me to do hours of looping 3rd ball with my BH.

2) My FH improved a few months ago when I worked on a robot on going down the line and contacting the inside of the ball. Before that I just was not comfortable contacting the inside of the ball. That helped improve a lot of things and give me much more variety and control with my FH.

3) Those two factors, plus time off, since I really have not been playing since mid-June--maybe 8 days total since then where I go to play--got my mind past a blockage that was causing me to process ball placement more slowly. So I am adjusting to latteral placement a little better and staying relaxed during that process.

I could be wrong. Tenergy's sponge really is awesome. But I don't want to give the equipment too much credit.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Looking good bud! Still using your OSP as your main?

Thanks man.

Well, I have not been playing enough to even think about TT equipment. But, my OSP V+ really works well for me. I love the KJH blade too. But I gave it to Ming who needed a shakehand blade. And man, he's earned it for all the training he's done with me. He helped me a lot. [emoji2]

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I've gotta say, I hope that Tenergy wouldn't be what got me more relaxed and tracking the ball better. Although, I hate to admit it, Tenergy is darn good rubber. But after this set is toast, I have a set of MX-P/FX-P waiting for me.

Anyway, I've been playing with Tenergy for a few months and the last several times I hit with Ming I had Tenergy on. What I think it is, is three simple things:

1) Ming really forced me to do hours of looping 3rd ball with my BH.

2) My FH improved a few months ago when I worked on a robot on going down the line and contacting the inside of the ball. Before that I just was not comfortable contacting the inside of the ball. That helped improve a lot of things and give me much more variety and control with my FH.

3) Those two factors, plus time off, since I really have not been playing since mid-June--maybe 8 days total since then where I go to play--got my mind past a blockage that was causing me to process ball placement more slowly. So I am adjusting to latteral placement a little better and staying relaxed during that process.

I could be wrong. Tenergy's sponge really is awesome. But I don't want to give the equipment too much credit.

Come on, you know I am going to give the equipment all the credit - that is what I do.

Seriously, your grip is excellent. The relaxation is very obvious - I might have to share this video with my students.

This user has no status.
Too many blades to try. The Soft Carbon Rosewood clone would be fun to try also.

The Yinhe All Wood Rosewood clone of the Stiga Rosewood is probably one of the best clone blades I have tried.

Not sure what the Yinhe Rosewood soft carbon supposed to be a clone off. That's why I didn't refer it as rosewood clone.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Come on, you know I am going to give the equipment all the credit - that is what I do.

Seriously, your grip is excellent. The relaxation is very obvious - I might have to share this video with my students.

The comment on being more consistent with coming over the ball on my BH was spot on though. It helped me feel when I am not pulling over it. Now I think I need the reps to get it into my DNA.

But I can remember back when I couldn't loop backspin or topspin with my FH. So, I am sure it is just a little but of work to get that so I have the control and versatility looping any ball with my BH.

I do feel decently confident over the table though.

Sent from Inside The Chamber of Secrets by Patronus

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
bh consistency is there, but seems like you're relying a lot on wrist movement

Funny. I took a long time to learn how to hit a FH. My form on my FH really sucked big time a few years ago. I have never thought much at all about how I hit my BH until the last 4-6 months when I realized my BH has to loop better. BH has always come easy to me. But I have never worked on it as a result so, in ways it is lagging behind the FH now.

I was a drummer once upon a time. So I think I have wristy shots as a result or something. But I have never really thought much about it.

I really could use doing a few hundred buckets of looping heavy backspin with my BH.

:)

But, given that I started playing at 44 and by 48 my FH technique really sucked, I am pretty okay with where I am. In the last three years I have realized how important coaching would have been before I developed all the bad habits I have tried to undo in the last three years. But, all in all, I love playing and am pretty happy with where I am.

If finances were not an obstacle, I would take 4 hour lessons 5 days a week for the next few years and have a lot of fun playing table tennis. Unfortunately, I can only do what I can right now. :)

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Man, i've really been absent some time.
I totally missed the part where the Ones hunting and trapping Goon Squad members in their septic tank full of sewer rats and makin' them jump off Crooklyn Bridge for no good reason became Goon Squad members themselves...
Oh well... i guess i've been awol too long.
:p

(Just couldn't resist playing the smartazz again)

[Emoji3]

The answer to this question is top secret and if we let you in on the secret, it would allow our adversaries to view privileged information. Heads would roll. But rest assured, the DC and Philly mob have the goon squad trapped in the sceptic tank of the Brooklyn entrance to the secret hideout. For the time being, the safety of all forum members has been secured.

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Carl, did I by chance leave behind a small plastic bag anywhere, we gotta sanitize and hide the evidence. I thought I put it in my black bag. I failed to see it and account for it in my Audi when I downloaded everything. My car smells to high heaven, that gym where PP Holic and I played was 95 inside with no A/C or ventilation. I had no chance to wash up and my feet fungus incubated enough to wipe out every government germ test we did over the last 40 years.

Man my car smells to high Heaven.

If you cannot use your eyeball, use the eye in the sky function on your NSA issued Spy Phoney.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Surveillance camera drones are searching the inner recesses of the secret hideout. There should be an answer to the question of whether there is something living in that lab experiment container and exactly what kind of life form it is.

Sent from Inside The Chamber of Secrets by Patronus

This user has no status.
Carl, I'm not saying it's bad. To get to having that kind of consistency is a feat by itself. And because of that, I pointed out that bit, just in case you never notice it before, and before committing/investing a lot more practice on it. [emoji41]

Adding more arm would give it an extra topping on top. [emoji41]

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Carl, I'm not saying it's bad. To get to having that kind of consistency is a feat by itself. And because of that, I pointed out that bit, just in case you never notice it before, and before committing/investing a lot more practice on it. [emoji41]

Adding more arm would give it an extra topping on top. [emoji41]

Yep. My BH is just something I do naturally. But I do need to work on it. I am much better vs topspin with it than vs backspin and I want to be able to loop vs backspin with close to as much versatility as with FH. With FH I can loop backspin slow, fast, heavy, rip. Any gear I want. BH vs backspin I want to improve it to be able to really spin backspin any way I want. Buckets of balls with whip action from my wrist. :)

So, I actually didn't think you said it was bad. But I want more from it than I can do as of now. Just don't have time lately.

Last edited: