Goon Squad assembling in NYC this Saturday PM

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
LOL at secrets... tell no one, your game stagnates, tell everyone and your game improves. It could be as Sun Tzu said, "All warfare is deception." A little misinformation here and there ;)

Although you were up 2 zip and I came back to win 3 to 2 in the previous outing we played, you are too modest to mention that I showed up after you had already trained for 2 hours!

I also played for another 2 hours after we stopped. But I don't get tired even though you think I did. My brain may have been tired and I kept returning they serve too hard even though I know better. But I was not.

You won that match fair and square. Your serves were awesome.

One thing I have noticed, I really have not played much since then but my return of serve, which has always been weak, has somehow actually improved. I did practice against that serve. But my receive of all serves seemed much better than usual the last few times I played.

Sent from Inside The Chamber of Secrets by Patronus

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
I mentioned to a coach at Wang Chen's club that I seem to be playing ok vs 1600-1800's when I'm only 1400. I mentioned I had a break. He said some times when one comes back from a break that for whatever reason one plays better and I quipped, "But 30 yrs Coach?!?!"

When next we meet, after a warmup, I'll serve that serve and one other you seem to have trouble against for 30 mins or an hour

42&backpains gave me some pointers to tweak my serve, need to ingrain it, still foreign to me... b4 the Goon Squad showed up, I was practicing my serves lol

Actually in your 2 pix of this thread you can see me in the background serving lol

Last edited:
Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
The reason I asked is that its a weakness I share , for me the best option is to loop drive it off the bounce with soft hands , the more I try to wait the more I feel it get out of my hitting zone and then Penholders are masters of mixing it up . What was your solution when you practiced against it secretly ... ?
That be it.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Read 13 reviews
I hate that serve. Our best penholder is named Jerry. He mixes that sidetop with a corkspin version of it and it drives me insane.

The only way I can deal with it is let it drop a ways off the table to lose some spin as well as use the added time to read that ball better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I think we have to move this to Daily Chit chat thread ... otherwise certain Ma Long supporters might complain :p
I own this thread... or at least I created it.

Everyone should feel free to talk about random tt shyt or Goon Squads. It is all good.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Thats the serve I am practicing these days Shuki , its a very handy serve ... and you can mix underspin once in a while without the receiver noticing it .... just changing the axis of the cork makes go from underspin to topspin ... depending on where you touch the ball ... but the thing is when it does get back , initiating the third ball attack is not a piece of cake ...
I hate that serve. Our best penholder is named Jerry. He mixes that sidetop with a corkspin version of it and it drives me insane.

The only way I can deal with it is let it drop a ways off the table to lose some spin as well as use the added time to read that ball better.

Sent from my using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Not a secret to my game, I serve pendulum sidetop and 2nd ball return if popped up... I will 3rd ball smash

I mix it up with pendulum sidedown

I'm not as good as Guo Yuehua, but my serve started off as a copy of his, but morphed into just a generic basic pendulum serve ... got the idea of trying to have one stroke for the serve disguising the sidetop and sidedown

Sun Tzu: "All warfare is deception."

EDIT: my old racket had custom-grooved handle I worked on over time, facilitated my serves ... with my new racket which I didn't shave down much, not getting the serves as well as with my old deceased racket

Last edited:
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
OSP... shave away !!! is somehow you shave too much, someone got a piece of cork laying around real handy to glue on hte handle and shave back down again !! Penholders in Korea did this all the time over there, no big deal. Go for it !!

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
The reason I asked is that its a weakness I share , for me the best option is to loop drive it off the bounce with soft hands , the more I try to wait the more I feel it get out of my hitting zone and then Penholders are masters of mixing it up . What was your solution when you practiced against it secretly ... ?

I was just trying to not rush my stroke, spin heavy and slow. A touch loop. For me it was more about the touch and contacting the inside of the ball away from the heaviest part of the spin. The more I felt the serve, the more comfortable I was with it.

But the truth is, when OldSchool gave those to me Saturday night, I'm not sure I did any of what PPH and I worked on. But my comfort with the serve was a little better anyway. I think that, the more used to feeling the spin, the more you can do a variety of things with it.

But, when you are up 7-1 in a game the pressure is also totally different than when you are close or down and need to make a good return.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Carl,

Like your signature says, spin everything!

Backhand loop it!

Although sometimes my opponents misjudged the speed it comes at them and the spin, like a batter swinging and missing the pitcher's curveball... not trying to toot my own horn, but sometimes I get the speed AND spin and it veers away from their attempted backhand loop and they "wiffed" badly