DHS long 5 aryl-carbon vs Timo Boll alc

says My current competition setup is what's on my profile...
says My current competition setup is what's on my profile...
Nov 2016
Hi Lucas, the HL5 is optimized for the plastic ball. I also have a viscaria as my backup and I find it performs pretty similar to the Timo Boll ALC and the rest of the Butterfly ALC blades, so if you don't mind, I'll use that as a comparison. It's easier to do FH flicks with the HL5 (this pretty much holds true for most DHS blades) compared to the Butterfly ALC blades. There is overall better control with the HL5 but initially when you use it, it might feel a bit faster so you have to adjust to the speed. The Butterfly ALC blades in general are more balanced so if you use the build that you're using, judging by your profile (DHS H3 Neo BS + Tibhar Evo FXP), your blade will be balanced (or slightly head heavy) vs. a head heavy blade if you use the HL5. BH flicks are pretty much similar for both. Touch may be a bit different from both but after adjustment you can pretty much do the same things. Looping is a lot better for the HL5. As you may have read, the HL series is designed for looping, especially looping underspin. If you're using chinese rubbers, you can pretty much FH loop the ball from table height or even slightly below and produce an attacking loop (provided you're looping chinese style where you're pivoting from the shoulder and less from the elbow). This is much harder to do with Butterfly ALC blades where I usually just loop the ball from net height or slightly below net height. BH loops I find is easier with butterfly ALC blades than HL5 I find since the blade is more stable. Overall, it just a matter of what your style is, and I suggest your try the blade from someone at your club or at least try the HL3 or any other DHS blades before purchasing.

Cheers :)

Side note: I forgot to mention you can loop with the HL5 from net height as well and higher of course! same with the Butterfly ALC blades! But I'm sure you know that already :)

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2016
HL 5 is an inner carbon type of blade. It also uses limba outerply. TB ALC on the other hand is your conventional carbon blade with koto top ply.

Both are great blades, used or being used by a lot of professionals.

Blade like HL 5 will be harder to get used to if you've never used similar type of blade before. There's a speed gap between doing the soft touches and power shots. The speed of the two blades will be similar if you get the similar weighted ones. Bear in mind that HL 5s are mostly heavy (around 95g) while TB ALC are lighter (around 86g).

Personally I've been a bigger fan of inner carbon blades these days. You get a better wood feeling while maintaining the big sweet spot and speed. But in the end it depends whether you like the feeling or not, although i'm sure you'll like it nonetheless if you stick with either of them