European Team Table Tennis Championships 2023

says TTD Team vs Pongfinity OUT NOW on our YT Channel
says TTD Team vs Pongfinity OUT NOW on our YT Channel
Administrator
Oct 2010
The 2023 European Team Table Tennis Championships is underway!

timobolleuropeans2023.jpg

Team Germany in action - Photo via ETTU. Photographer Remy Gros

Live scoring here.

says Buttefly Forever!!!
says Buttefly Forever!!!
Mar 2021
I love Euro! Long live ESN!

Actually I love the Euro players cause they have a certain je ne sais quoi; a certain elegance in their play. It is slower and hence easier on the eyes and neck. Those darn Asians ( I'm looking at you CNT people ), are all brawn and grunt. Ball is so fast. strain my eyes to track the ball. And also ESN, have I mention ESN yet?

• Haha
Reactions: Choosikick
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2019
What happened to Britt Eerland? Did she retire or get injured or something? Surprised that Netherlands doesn't have a strong TT team anymore...

In Eerland's blog post titled "The Return" which she made 5 weeks ago https://britteerland.nl/de-terugkeer/:

She said she was pregnant and is working herself to be fit enough to play matches by October 2023. Based on her Instagram posts, I can infer that she'll at least try to qualify for Paris 2024.

Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2019
I am also noticing that in some fixtures, players get changed in the later matches - noticed Zhmudenko of Ukraine getting switched in vs France and Pitchford was switched into the decider vs Norway, but didn't have to play since Drinkhall beat Haug. What rules govern this? Anyone know?

Kindly see CT 4.6 Match Procedure of the European Team Championship Regulations: https://www.ettu.org/?proxy=redakti...ropean-Championships-Team-Events-1-1-2023.pdf

For European Team events ( and even in past editions), up to 4 players are allowed to play in the Team Match and substitutions can be made. I copied and pasted the relevant provision below:

CT 4.6 Match Procedure
CT 4.6.1 A team shall consist of maximum 4 players.
CT 4.6.2 Each team shall appoint a playing or non-playing captain or a responsible deputy, who shall be present throughout a match.
CT 4.6.3 A match shall consist of up to 5 singles and shall be played on 1 table.
CT 4.6.4 In all matches (except those played in a round robin tournament, where the captains shall decide by lot the right to choose A1, A2, A3 or B1, B2, B3) the home team shall be A1,A2, A3 and the visiting team B1, B2, B3. After the second singles in a team match, player N° 4 may replace player A1 or player A2 (home team) or player B1 or B2 (away team). Such a substitution of a player must be announced by the respective team captain to the referee at the latest before the start of the third singles match.
CT 4.6.5 The order of play shall be A1 v B2, A2 v B1, A3 v B3, A1 v B1, A2 v B2 and the team match shall end when one team has won 3 individual matches, each the best of 5 games. There shall be an interval of not more than 15 minutes after the second match

Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Good match by UK men vs Romania with good wins by Jarvis and Drinkhall - Pitch not looking great.

UK women very poor to date - surprised at inability to handle pimples by Wong, and Bolton looks very tight so far…
Pitch won the hardest match to win that contest, form or not - give him some credit. The real question is why Jarvis is not trusted enough as British champion to step up and play in one of the top 2 spots.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2022
Read 6 reviews
Pitch won the hardest match to win that contest, form or not - give him some credit. The real question is why Jarvis is not trusted enough as British champion to step up and play in one of the top 2 spots.
Maybe, but he shouldn’t have lost to young Ionescu in the first game! Paul dispatched him 3-0 and Jarvis would have too. Walker likely would have too!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Maybe, but he shouldn’t have lost to young Ionescu in the first game! Paul dispatched him 3-0 and Jarvis would have too. Walker likely would have too!
Young Ionescu beat Dima at European Games and is the European U19 champion (likely the Lebruns didn't play) - let's just say I find Drinkhall's win more of the outlier than Pitchford's loss.

Reactions: Wrighty67
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2022
Read 6 reviews
Young Ionescu beat Dima at European Games and is the European U19 champion (likely the Lebruns didn't play) - let's just say I find Drinkhall's win more of the outlier than Pitchford's loss.

He did, but Dima can be flaky. Pitch, with his ranking, should have put him away. Drinhall was always a closer match up in my mind and a a much more experienced warrior in these types of matches. Pitch is well past his best in my view…

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
He did, but Dima can be flaky. Pitch, with his ranking, should have put him away. Drinhall was always a closer match up in my mind and a a much more experienced warrior in these types of matches. Pitch is well past his best in my view…
I hear that, but I wonder if that would have been the sentiment if Drinkhall didn't beat him 3-0. The kid is higher ranked than Drinkhall, almost eliminated Gauzy at the WTTC as well. And the older Ionescu isn't chopped liver either and he decimated Drinkhall. So the way I see it, the team did its job and did well to get past a dangerous opponent. Pitchford lost one he should have won and Drinkhall won one that by ranking he should have lost. In a couple of years, the younger Ionescu may be very well out of Drinkhall's range, that's how these kids are sometimes...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2022
Read 6 reviews
I hear that, but I wonder if that would have been the sentiment if Drinkhall didn't beat him 3-0. The kid is higher ranked than Drinkhall, almost eliminated Gauzy at the WTTC as well. And the older Ionescu isn't chopped liver either and he decimated Drinkhall. So the way I see it, the team did its job and did well to get past a dangerous opponent. Pitchford lost one he should have won and Drinkhall won one that by ranking he should have lost. In a couple of years, the younger Ionescu may be very well out of Drinkhall's range, that's how these kids are sometimes...
All fair comments, but I am frustrated at Englands approach to the teams development and over reliance on Pitch and Drinkhall - who both lost to Jarvis and Walker at nationals this year.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
All fair comments, but I am frustrated at Englands approach to the teams development and over reliance on Pitch and Drinkhall - who both lost to Jarvis and Walker at nationals this year.
Those are my thoughts as well, but it is a reminder that being local champion is very different from having a game that travels well. That said, Jarvis beat older Ionescu earlier this year a few weeks ago in a win that surprised me, so at some point we need Jarvis to actually do it in these events as well. Walker is for me a different story, none of the age or upside expectations.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2022
Read 6 reviews
Those are my thoughts as well, but it is a reminder that being local champion is very different from having a game that travels well. That said, Jarvis beat older Ionescu earlier this year a few weeks ago in a win that surprised me, so at some point we need Jarvis to actually do it in these events as well. Walker is for me a different story, none of the age or upside expectations.
Agree re Walker but feel he has lifted his game recently and has the talent to do better given the right support and belief.