Go for those nets and edges!

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
One thing I notice, the higher level the player, the more I see them try for every ball no matter what and the more likely they are to make some kind of return on any ball.

That is the case in the pros I know. It is the case in the top pros too. I can't think of how many times I have seen Ma Long throw himself at the table trying to get a net dribbler when he was back in mid-distance. He doesn't always get them. But he gets enough of them to impress me with his ability to change gears and be creative.

Edmund Suen, the guy who fixed my forehand--or helped me fix some of it really--he explained that, you should be set before the ball bounces on the opponent's side, or try to be, so you can move to where the ball is going. But the backswing is part of the stroke so you get the whipping action at the last moment. And that, if you are already swinging before the ball hits the net, you are swinging too early. And ideally, if the backswing happens as the ball bounces, so you get maximum whipping action, then you can adjust to the edges too: even on be big strokes.

That is why the higher level players are ready for everything.

Sent from Deep Space by Abacus

Reactions: Anders
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Read 13 reviews
I try for everything as long as it is safe for my racket. Never had a situation in an important match where I've had to decide between my racket and the point :)

Ever wonder why pro's VERY often get emotional enough to toss their racket and not even care about it? If i even slightly bump mine, im worried about it. Not because of the money or anything but because its near impossible to get it exactly the same as it is.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
One thing I notice, the higher level the player, the more I see them try for every ball no matter what and the more likely they are to make some kind of return on any ball.

That is the case in the pros I know. It is the case in the top pros too. I can't think of how many times I have seen Ma Long throw himself at the table trying to get a net dribbler when he was back in mid-distance. He doesn't always get them. But he gets enough of them to impress me with his ability to change gears and be creative.

Edmund Suen, the guy who fixed my forehand--or helped me fix some of it really--he explained that, you should be set before the ball bounces on the opponent's side, or try to be, so you can move to where the ball is going. But the backswing is part of the stroke so you get the whipping action at the last moment. And that, if you are already swinging before the ball hits the net, you are swinging too early. And ideally, if the backswing happens as the ball bounces, so you get maximum whipping action, then you can adjust to the edges too: even on be big strokes.

That is why the higher level players are ready for everything.

That's an important but simplified part of a very complex story that would take too long to tell... My answer would be more along the lines of once you have strokes and feeling that can control the ball, and you can move to the ball in balance, and you are able to read the ball better, you are willing to try to get to the ball more.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
That's an important but simplified part of a very complex story that would take too long to tell... My answer would be more along the lines of once you have strokes and feeling that can control the ball, and you can move to the ball in balance, and you are able to read the ball better, you are willing to try to get to the ball more.

100% accurate. At 50 years old I am happy that I started moving to the ball better and a lot of that had to do with the random drills and the explanations that Edmund gave. He got them from Damien Provost and even got Damien to join us when he was training me several times so Damien could watch and help.

So many skills to work on. And this is why I love table tennis. So much more to learn.

Reactions: Michal_Z
This user has no status.
I fight for everyball and always go for nets and edge balls. Actually net balls, I believe i can get them 80% of the time. Edge balls are much more difficult. To get them in games, you've got to train yourself to do it, and the simplest thing to do is to try to get them all when practising.

Also getting edges and nets in one's favour is more often than not skill than luck. A net ball will behave "correctly" in your favour, if you put good spin on it. and a ball will touch the net, if you try to keep your trajectories low. You'll get an edge ball if you're aiming and trying to play near the lines. So usually the most agressive, and the most technical player gets the most edge and nets, and the more skillful player can put them back on the table.

Its just part of the game and those who stop playing a rally because there is a net or edge are missing something.

Also on aggregate, in a match, on aggregate, between players of similar level, edges and nets usually are balanced.

Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
Actually sometimes edges can be predictable.. You can see it that it is possible to get an edge, when the ball comes too close to the end of the table. Therefore you can sort of get ready for it.
To me - more problematic are net quotes, because that is far more unpredictable..

I think it depends on the tempo of the ball. Usually a net ball loses a lot of its speed, when contacting the net, but a ball that hardly touches the edge and therefore hardly changes direction of the flightpath is IMHO a little more difficult, but that might just be me...

Reactions: JeffM
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2015
Read 8 reviews
That reaction was quite good, but (no offence) Eric looks somehow a little bored or maybe even a little absent minded. Or is that just his style?

Thanks :) I think it is his style as he is usually quite chilled and funny, and possibly the occasion, as I only come back to my home country once per year and we play together once a year.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
Thanks :) I think it is his style as he is usually quite chilled and funny, and possibly the occasion, as I only come back to my home country once per year and we play together once a year.

Great. Haha, i have a friend whose bodylanguage is pretty similar. That's why i said/wrote so...

Reactions: JeffM
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2011
Read 7 reviews
Yesterday I played league matches and I have to say, I mostly won when I got net or edge. I won 7 of 10, so quite good for me to go for them. I only lost one that dropped too short and bounced 2 times on the table when I was under pressure away from table. One when (again) under pressure away and fell off the table and therefore I put it too high. And the third I lost was a huge smash that clipped the net and disturbed my stroke action. But those others I got and won a point because my opponent didnt expect that. So still good to go for it ;-)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
Yesterday I played league matches and I have to say, I mostly won when I got net or edge. I won 7 of 10, so quite good for me to go for them. I only lost one that dropped too short and bounced 2 times on the table when I was under pressure away from table. One when (again) under pressure away and fell off the table and therefore I put it too high. And the third I lost was a huge smash that clipped the net and disturbed my stroke action. But those others I got and won a point because my opponent didnt expect that. So still good to go for it ;-)

7 out of 10 is pretty good. Congrats.

This user has no status.
Is Indonesia,

Net ball and edge ball is actually celebrated. We don't ask for forgiveness to hit one, we say "yes!!!"

So naturally,

Player will look to hit or to return them. :)

Still,

I will seriously stay away from hitting net ball when my opponent is a beginner or those who only play for fun. [emoji14]

Table tennis table repair are not cheap. ?????(>?<)?????

Sent from my T1X Plus using Tapatalk