Hong Kong Open 2018

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2016
I am quite amazed by the outcomes so far in this tournament. With so many second tier Chinese players, I would have thought at least 2 or more could make it further into the main draw, perhaps semi final.
However, due to their matchups, some have lost to foreigners, others have been eliminated by fellow teammates.
I was expecting Zhou Yu to do quite well, and the other ones who play in the super chinese league.
Now the only CHN player left is Zhao ZiHao (penholder).
The only HKG player left is Wong ChunTing, who is also a penholder.
The penholders will meet at quarter final if they remain undefeated, meaning the ultimate winner is still up for grab.

Zhou Qihao, not Zhao Zihao (penholder), is the last CNT male in the main draw now.

Once again, the Weibo comments on HongKong Open news is so funny and I feel that a lot of people in the forum are really lucky because they cannot read and understand Chinese. Good for them!

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
http://sports.sina.com.cn/others/pingpang/2018-05-25/doc-ihaysviy4504913.shtml
“其实我有好几局都是一直领先的,可能是太久没比赛了,被对手缠着的时候处理不够好,感觉精力和体力上都有些没跟上。这次比赛就是先找回比赛的感觉。整体上,感觉还可以,我自己心理上还是没有以前那么踏实,我想随着比赛增多,会越来越好吧。”
"I was actually leading in quite a few games. Perhaps it's been too long of an absence from competition, I didn't handle well when in a dogfight, feeling that the mind and body couldn't keep up. This tournament was to help find my touch back. It felt decent on the whole, but my mental stability was still far from before. I believe it will get better as time goes on" said ZJK.

Jan 2018
http://hk.on.cc/hk/bkn/cnt/sport/20180524/bkn-20180524140324035-0524_00882_001.html
「今天是我發揮不好,對方打得很好,感覺很對不起來看我的球迷……要把心態調節好,好好總結今次在戰術、心態和技術上有什麼問題,希望能打好下周舉行的中國公開賽。」
"I played bad today. My opponent played very well. I feel very sorry to my fans...I have to finetune my mentality, summing up what went wrong in tactics, mentality and techniques. Hopefully I will play well at the China Open next week" said Ishikawa.

http://sportsroad.hk/archives/201196
「沒有太大壓力,但今天發揮不到自己的水準,覺得對不起特意來支持自己的球迷。兩年前曾來過打奧運選拔賽,而每次在香港比賽的成績都不錯,今次結果好遺憾。」
"I didn't have too much pressure but I didn't play like myself today. I feel sorry to those fans who come to cheer me on. I played here at the Olympic Qualification 2 years ago, and I had good results every time playing in Hong Kong. The result this time is a shame" said the teary-eyed Ishikawa.

「今場比賽並不輕鬆,畢竟之前曾輸過給這對手,因此很重視今場比賽。雖然今次是主場出戰,但平常不會在伊館打球,經過今早雙打後適應了場地,對剛剛的單打幫助不少。」
"This match was not easy, given I had lost to her before. I took this match very seriously. Even though I'm playing on home court, I don't usually play here at the Elizabeth Stadium, and after the doubles I got used to the arena, which helped the singles a lot" said Lee Ho Ching.

Last edited:
Jan 2018
What a close shave for WMY and CK and what a shame for Nagasaki and Kihara, squandering 3 matchpoints and losing 5 in a row.

This is another strong piece of evidence that age advantage is no longer with China.

Last edited:
Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2013
Where can i watch the matches on table 1? ITTV doesn't seem to let me watch it in Hong Kong due to the broadcasting rights....

Jan 2018
Where can i watch the matches on table 1? ITTV doesn't seem to let me watch it in Hong Kong due to the broadcasting rights....
At the Elizabeth Stadium, or wait until the highlight reels tonight. Or, wait for the VOD on ITTF.

Last edited:
Jan 2018
Or, use a proxy.

Jan 2018
Ito playing Lee, BTW. Great match.

Jan 2018
Both top seeded players taken out early. Weee! WCT said his goal was to reach the QF.

Subs added for ZJK's interviews after Ma Te and Yoshimura matches.

Last edited:
Reactions: ping fun
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
Top seed Wong Chung Thing knocked out by swedish viking Jon Persson.
Persson changed to a completely different person after the 2nd game. Amazing touch and solid defence.

Wong has the same problem as Wang Hao. Predictable attack. 9 out of 10 banan flicks go to Persson's BH side. Wong relies on his BH a lot which lacks power and placement.

Hopefully Wong will gain some better tactics in the future.

Passionate about TT

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2013
Read 3 reviews
Anyone know what blade Jon Persson uses atm?
does not matter. Brain is what matters. Look at the above post of SFF and you will get your blade. What is more Wong was too far from the table so his BH tospins were easy to block, so he was trying more with FH from BH side and the Persson block down the line.
I think he got great advice from Par Gerrel who is great with tactics and was his coatch at this match.

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
This user has no status.
Anyone know what blade Jon Persson uses atm?
jon-persson-670.jpg

edit:
this second one is newer
137155674_15254126127931n.jpg

Last edited: