Is it possible to switch blades on a bat?

This user has no status.
When I purchased my current bat, I was on a budget of £70. I stupidly when cheap on the blade, and went for mid-ranged rubbers. I was hoping to switch from my Donic Persson Exclusive to a Butterfly Balsa Carbo X5, but I don't want to spend extra money re-purchasing the same rubbers, considering I am happy with the ones I have now.

Is it possible to switch out a blade and keep the same rubbers? Or would this be idiotic or impossible?

Thanks

This user has no status.
It's very easy to swap rubbers I do it all the time, it just depends what glue you used, how much, and if the rubber will fit correctly on the new blade depending on how you have cut it. Getting glue off rubbers is a fine art that I have not yet mastered my friend. :)

It's not the issue of getting the rubbers off, I've done that before. I'm worried about what are my chances that the way my rubbers are currently cut will fit, and if those chances are good enough for me to switch blades.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Look at the head dimensions of your current blade and the one you want. Like 150mm x 157mm is a pretty standard head size. If the blades have similar head sizes then I may not be perfect but it will work well enough. It doesn't really matter if the rubber fits exactly. But if the two blades are very different dimensions then you think about whether you want rubbers that are too small. However, if the rubbers are too large (if the current blade is larger than the new one) you can just cut the rubbers down with an exacto (razor blade).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: BeGo
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
If the rubbers are too small for the blade, it will be a good excuse to remove the glue from the sponge and apply baby oil to stretch out the spong 2-4 mm depending on ammount and timing. That might be enough to get the job done and maybe a little left over. if your sponge on the rubber is already a soft rubber, then you will experience a new dimension of soft/mushy you never felt before EVER... Then THAT would be an excuse to buy NEW rubbers you never tried yet.

You do that and you will be going down the path to EJ glory.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
In some ways, I could be considered high up on the EJ class list, but in truth, that is to try stuff out and learn. I am always faithful to a main bat (when it isn't cracked and unserviceable/unrepairable) and the same FH/BH rubbers on that main bat.

You might look at some other threads though that show the warning signs of EJ addiction and support group therapy to put it into recession.

Reactions: BeGo
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
In short, if the rubber fits well enough you are good; If it is too small there are ways to boost the sponge and make it expand to fit; If the sponge is too big, you just cut it with some form of razor blade to remove the edge that is hanging over.

says Aging is a killer
In short, if the rubber fits well enough you are good; If it is too small there are ways to boost the sponge and make it expand to fit; If the sponge is too big, you just cut it with some form of razor blade to remove the edge that is hanging over.

These days I tend to leave quite a bit of overhang on the rubbers. This has 2 main benefits:
1 It allows for the size contraction that rubbers have these days
2 It is a far better collision protection for the blade than sidetape. That is, assuming that the blade is not very thick.

Reactions: BeGo and Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
When I purchased my current bat, I was on a budget of £70. I stupidly when cheap on the blade, and went for mid-ranged rubbers. I was hoping to switch from my Donic Persson Exclusive to a Butterfly Balsa Carbo X5, but I don't want to spend extra money re-purchasing the same rubbers, considering I am happy with the ones I have now.

Is it possible to switch out a blade and keep the same rubbers? Or would this be idiotic or impossible?

Thanks
Once you peel them off they will automatically shrink most likely, especially if they are tensor rubbers or if you stretched them too much after you glued them

Measure the old and new blade dimensions and compare them

Put 6-8 drops of some booster and they will expand enough to fit the new blade and even expand further than the head of the blade. So you cut them some more to fit perfectly, after 1-2 weeks the booster effect will be diminished and you are fine. Now that I think it over, try some baby oil instead, it has very low boosting effect and it will expand your rubbers. Speed glue will also do the job and after 1 day the rubbers will play as before

I recommend 6-8 drops because I have done this routine many times and I was trying to find the right "quantity" of oil so I wont overstretch them

Reactions: Suga D