Is Samsonov finished ?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
My argument is different and has been made earlier. Drunix80 is a good guy generally and I have no reason to doubt his genuineness and his opinion. What I don't like are conditional insults being thrown around in an atmosphere of disagreement. It's a common strategy used to incite people - if the shoe fits, wear it. If he had said, "Only stupid people like to see their favorite legends lose", I would have felt precisely the same way. I don't think I posted much after the original statement, but I think that the need to say that was driven to some degree by discomfort with the amount of disagreement with his position that he was receiving. That said, if I said anything to offend drunix80, I apologize. He is a good poster with a genuinely valuable POV.

I definitely had a very biased opinion earlier. May be it was because of regional influence on how TT is perceived. Myself being a player during my hey days, was told from an young age that one has to compete with sole purpose of winning. If you lose, you have to find the flaws and improve. The day you can't have an impact or improve yourself, your place will be taken.

So it was difficult to understand why people would support a (hero) player to continue who was not having the desired impact, losing more frequently and apparently not improving. It was a big revelation to me as I learnt through this thread that for many people losing or winning does not matter much. People just enjoy their fav players competing and players compete because they just enjoy the game. It is also clear to me from Samsonov's quote that he is playing to win WTTC or an Olympic medal. So, he has his own motivation to continue playing. I can also relate to that.

For sure, I had no idea about the deep meaning of R word. That is also a big eye opener. So if I had to, I would have rephrased my original post as :

-------
3. Does anybody like their fav players to lose ?
No. Give me one good reason why.
---------

Sure I know the reasons now. So, lets chill. No bad blood !!!

Last edited:
Reactions: yoass and NextLevel
says Check out my Podcast Talkin' Smash!
says Check out my Podcast Talkin' Smash!
TeamJOOLA
Oct 2010
Read 12 reviews
Does Samsonov have a son or daughter? I would love to see him coach them to professional tt players!!

Sent from my Redmi 3S using Tapatalk

He has two sons. One of them is a basketball player. Not sure if we will see them take up table tennis, maybe the younger one.

Reactions: Suga D
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
There was a WTTC team match (1991) in which Kalinic defeated Waldner as Yugoslavia upset Sweden in a preliminary round. (I think it may have been the last time there was a Yugoslavian national team, I think Lupulescu was on that team too). Both teams moved on, and they ended up playing again in the finals, but I don't remember how that came about. The second time they played that week, Waldner utterly annihilated Kalinic. But he was really dangerous and really strange and really good.

Here is the second match. Waldner upped his serve intensity and had gazillions of third ball winners.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I definitely had a very biased opinion earlier.

I am glad this wound down and people were allowed to express their varied opinions. That people who felt Samsonov should retire can present that opinion while letting people who feel that Samsonov should not retire express their opinion. And then that third group who feel that it is Samsonov who should determine when he should retire and not fans on a forum. It is okay to express your own opinion. AS LONG AS you LET other people also express their opinions.

And why I stepped in, is, you, for a time, answered each separate person who said anything other than your opinion, with increasingly more aggressive posts about why your perspective was the only one.

This pattern culminated with you proclaiming the line which several people singled out. NextLevel adeptly explained what the actual problem with the statement was.

My argument is different and has been made earlier. Drunix80 is a good guy generally and I have no reason to doubt his genuineness and his opinion. What I don't like are conditional insults being thrown around in an atmosphere of disagreement. It's a common strategy used to incite people - if the shoe fits, wear it. If he had said, "Only stupid people like to see their favorite legends lose", I would have felt precisely the same way.

The statement is very well worded. By the way, if you were paying attention, the first time NextLevel expressed what was wrong with the statement was pretty darn entertaining. But here he explained it directly instead of showing the problem in an object-lesson.

It is okay to disagree and post your opinion. But once you have posted your opinion, it should be able to stand on its own. You don't need to argue in response to each and every comment that counters your opinion. Your opinion is already there. And it won't go away simply because there is a comment after it. People can judge for themselves.

Now I understand the impulse to respond to each and every thing anyone has said that may have missed the point of what you said. I understand the impulse to see if you can figure out better and more unassailable methods for formulating your positions and arguments.

I have been there and done that. I even got the free t-shirt and the chicken and beer bill from Der_Echte to prove it. [emoji2] You can also ask Suga D about how many times I've done that. [emoji2]

So, I don't think you have done any harm. Especially since you backed off and realized that other people actually do have a right to disagree with you and that being open to varied perspectives is actually good and healthy and does not mean you have to agree.

But as a moderator I stepped in because things were a hair short of getting ugly and out of hand. And you were the center of the storm. Now you are no longer the center of the storm but became part of a good discussion.

So, thank you.

Hopefully me explaining why I did what I did does not reignite the silliness. Because I think this thread has mostly run its course.

Thank you for being open and understanding that valid opinions should be encouraged not the opposite. And that on the forum it is good to have passionate debates. But it is worth keeping them civil.

Sent from The Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

Last edited:
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
I hope Samsonov is not finished but it looks like Harimoto is just getting started. These are a couple of really good wins. Kids improve at astonishing rates, apparently not matter what level they are.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Yeah. Harimoto is freaking good.

My point exactly. Other than world ranking, all other recent stats pointed to a Harimoto victory. Samsonov played well and it went to 7 games. Samsonov could have won. What else should we be asking for? Samsonov beating the kid like a drum when Xu Xin could not?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
But I think it might be going to go the way how it went to FZD and Samsonov , the first time they met samsonov induced a lot of errors from FZD , but after that he was confident and knew he can handle the strategy and variations of Samsonov ...
My point exactly. Other than world ranking, all other recent stats pointed to a Harimoto victory. Samsonov played well and it went to 7 games. Samsonov could have won. What else should we be asking for? Samsonov beating the kid like a drum when Xu Xin could not?

Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
But I think it might be going to go the way how it went to FZD and Samsonov , the first time they met samsonov induced a lot of errors from FZD , but after that he was confident and knew he can handle the strategy and variations of Samsonov ...

A famous athlete with a loud bark said Father Time is undefeated. He could have added that Time is undefeated both in helping young youth get better and helping older players get worse.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews

Yep. I would actually say that match is proof Samsonov should not retire. [emoji2]