JTTA: Selection System to be Revamped for Paris 2024

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Good! We are in agreement.

I am free to have my opinion on Harimoto's performance. You are free to have your opinion of his performance. And you are free to have derision of my opinion. I have complete indifference towards your opinion.

The only thing is, I ask that you DO NOT mis-represent my opinion or what I actually said. That's why I stated my opinion clearly. I never said he is trash, I never said he is a bad player, I never said he has no hope in the future, etc.
Please quote where I misrepresented your opinion as a start. You say a lot of irresponsible stuff and when called out on it, you now seem to want to accuse people of putting words in your mouth without responsibly quoting when I supposedly did so.

You have written a lot of things that implied that his lack of results is because he is making bad decisions and not working hard enough with comparisons to Zion Williamson and Andrew Wiggins for example. Given that Wiggins has never been one of the top players in the NBA and Zion has been derided for his commitment to being in shape to play, it is weird that you are now distancing yourself from the implications of using poor analogies rather than simply accepting that what you wrote was not well thought out. In any case, I await your references to where I have misrepresented you.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
Please quote where I misrepresented your opinion as a start. You say a lot of irresponsible stuff and when called out on it, you now seem to want to accuse people of putting words in your mouth without responsibly quoting when I supposedly did so.

You have written a lot of things that implied that his lack of results is because he is making bad decisions and not working hard enough with comparisons to Zion Williamson and Andrew Wiggins for example. Given that Wiggins has never been one of the top players in the NBA and Zion has been derided for his commitment to being in shape to play, it is weird that you are now distancing yourself from the implications of using poor analogies rather than simply accepting that what you wrote was not well thought out. In any case, I await your references to where I have misrepresented you.
Like right here
Post in thread 'WTT Contender Doha 2024' https://www.tabletennisdaily.com/forum/topics/wtt-contender-doha-2024.32718/post-440128

I never "wrote him off". I said, his past few years have not been amazing, but he can still get better and still be #1. As you said, hes still 20, hes got 15 years or so to win the big titles. I never "wrote him off" or "doomed him", those are direct quotes used on this forum. It seems like the pack is closing in on him though, rather than him separating from the pack.

Also you made some random ethnic comment..., i never even made any hint to that effect.

Finally I agree with you that in hindsight, his limitations, especially on the fh, have been plain to see even 5 years ago. I think everybody knows his fh is his weakness. I just disagree with your application. You use it to defend his results. "He needs to step back before he can step forward". I totally get that.

My application is that 1) he should've been fixing his forehand a LONG time ago, and hes had 5 years.

2) apart from the technical weakness of his fh, stylistically he isnt doing enough to change his fh. He stands too square, too center of the table, and relies too much on long rallies.

In fact, I would take it further than you even. Dont take 1 step back, take 5 steps backs. I dont care if he has terrible short term results, if he is looking to improve his style. Look for the 3rd ball kill, look for the step around, change to a hybrid, take 5 steps back if you have a chance at improving long term results. My criticism of him isnt only his poor result, its that he doesnt seem to be taking enough risk. He falls back on his rally style. His current results are not hitting his own goal, and yet he's not taking the 5 steps back either to re-tool.

Technically his Fh just looks weird to me. His elbow is too close, he bends his elbow too early into his stroke, he seems like he hits the ball too thin. Hes had 5 years, all his coaches have told him his fh is not up to par, and his fh still isnt there.

But im not going to keep repeating myself on Harimoto. If you disagree, i have absolutely no objection. We both agreed to have different opinions.

Btw, I like Miwa more because her style just looks more pleasing to me. Not because of your hockey stick theory. I just dont prefer HT's more crab-esque approach.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
Also, another interesting thing is that Harimoto is a big reason that I got into table tennis. When Harimoto first broke onto the scene, I was not playing TT at all, and hadn't played for decades. I was exclusively playing badminton 5 times a week. But he got me excited by the sport.

I was living in Japan for close to a decade so I watched his documentaries every week, how he trained, how he studied, his parents, his sister, etc. I watched him eat his uniquely Chinese stir fry dishes in the practice hall. i was really fascinated by him. For one, i was amazed how good he was at his age. It was unbelievable. I also was really fascinated by his personal story. I think i heard that he had one of the highest academic scores in his entire prefecture. His teachers praised him for his school work.

I was fascinated about his immigrant story. How he was a Chinese son training in Japan and playing for Japan. Racism against Chinese in Japan is real, its less intense and less violent than black racism in America, but its more widespread and more acceptable. In Japan, making racist remarks against Chinese is just part of normal society. So I thought it was inspirational that a Chinese son was winning the praise and adoration and acceptance of his adopted country of Japan. He could really do a lot for racism in Japan. Even he himself had to endure racism. I also thought it was a unique scene to watch him speak in Chinese to his coach father in front of the whole nation. I still think its a cool scene to see him with his new Chinese coach.

All my friends were just local Japanese, but I told all my friends about him. I would send them Harimotos documentary videos, i just thought he had a cool story. None of my friends played TT at all, but he was just kinda the talk of the nation for a while. I remember being at a manga cafe, and I was playing on a ping pong table with oversized racket and balls with a friend. 2 young girls next to us were yelling "cho leh!", obviously imitating Harimoto. I told my girlfriend at the time about him and all his details. She said he was "cute" as a little boy. He indeed was a nice mannered, cute, intelligent, fine kid. I thought his little sister was adorable too.

It was only after seeing Harimoto that i decided to try to get into TT. It wasnt his game, more his overall story that got me fascinated.

But just the past 5 years turned me off. His square up style, his yelling, his fh technique, his disappinting performances turned me off. But who knows, i could be a fan again someday. Now WCQ is my favorite player stylistically. Miwa is probably favorite female player now.

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
Gotta get this out of the way before the official announcement. The next episode of "Going! Sports & News" that aired on 2024/1/28 (the final day of Zennihon Takkyu 2024) had more on Harimoto siblings.

Full album - https://imgur.com/a/H6ENwDj

Harimoto: At WTT Finals Women
BmtKxAr.jpg

She put up the best match against the eventual winner Sun
2n6yLh1.jpg

She was not inferior to the WR1 Sun
RHGryKZ.jpg

I don't know if I can win even if I try
5LKvBd4.jpg

My parents used to tell me "your sister has better sense" when I was little
FZ0eAh4.jpg

I didn't really believe it, but now I kind of understand what it means
6iEPYF0.jpg

Jan 2018
And Miyazaki has been feeling the heat for the past week after his "announcement" in the episode of "Going! Sports & News" that aired on 2024/1/27. Even KONNO Noboru of Table Tennis Kingdom grills him in his column.

卓球パリ五輪代表3人目はどう決まる? 協会幹部の発言も波紋
https://www.jiji.com/jc/article?k=2024013001175

協会幹部の失言。誰を選んでも批判される強化本部は、2月5日に何を語るのか
https://world-tt.com/blog/news/archives/156898

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
Gotta get this out of the way before the official announcement. The next episode of "Going! Sports & News" that aired on 2024/1/28 (the final day of Zennihon Takkyu 2024) had more on Harimoto siblings.

Full album - https://imgur.com/a/H6ENwDj

Harimoto: At WTT Finals Women
BmtKxAr.jpg

She put up the best match against the eventual winner Sun
2n6yLh1.jpg

She was not inferior to the WR1 Sun
RHGryKZ.jpg

I don't know if I can win even if I try
5LKvBd4.jpg

My parents used to tell me "your sister has better sense" when I was little
FZ0eAh4.jpg

I didn't really believe it, but now I kind of understand what it means
6iEPYF0.jpg

Theyve been saying that about Miwa since she was like 9, that she has a better sense.

I think now its more evident. HT just plays very hard, he relies on playing being able to outlast his opponent and outrally his opponent.

Miwa is a bit more selective, choosing when to take chances and when to rally. I find her style more pleasing to watch.

Jan 2018
On 2/4, Ito made her first public appearance after Zennihon Takkyu 2024, telling the media that she is the only current Olympic gold medalist in Japan's table tennis, therefore she has to make table tennis more popular and that from now on she hopes to speak and act as a gold medalist.

If that isn't resting on her laurels, then I don't know what is.

伊藤美誠「どんどん上を目指してやっていきたい」と前向き「現役で金メダリストは私だけなので」卓球
https://www.chunichi.co.jp/article/848567
 卓球女子で2021年東京五輪金メダリストの伊藤美誠(23)=スターツ=が4日、福島県楢葉町のJヴィレッジで開催された卓球教室で指導役を務めた。1月末に終わったパリ五輪選考レースでシングルス代表の座を逃し悔し涙を流したが、「自分はどんどん上を目指してやっていきたい。誰にも成し遂げられなかったことを成し遂げたい」と前を向いていた。

この日は手を取って自ら指導するなど笑顔で子どもたちと触れあった伊藤は「中国人選手をさらに乗り越えられるように…。今、自分は勝ちづらいけれど、また爆発できるようにとすごく思っている。海外では一番を取れるように頑張りたい」とコメント。東京五輪後の日々を「長いようで短くて、あっという間だった」と振り返り、「卓球界で現役で金メダリストは私だけなので、卓球はもっと普及していかないといけない。これからも金メダリストとして発言したり行動できたいい」と決意を新たにした。

5日にパリ五輪代表が発表される。選考ランキング3位の伊藤は団体メンバーとして3枠目に入る可能性もある。全日本選手権後には「選出されても出るかははっきり決まっていない」と言葉を濁したが、上を目指す思いは変わらないようだ。

伊藤美誠「誰も成し遂げていないことを成し遂げたい。(世界で)1番を狙って」打倒・中国の挑戦継続…5日のパリ五輪代表発表を前に決意
https://hochi.news/articles/20240204-OHT1T51209.html?page=1
 涙の会見から9日。明るく前向きな気持ちになっていた。「五輪金メダリストで現役選手は私だけ。いろんな県に行って、これからもたくさん復興イベントに協力したい。また、みんなの前に立っていることで喜んでもらえると思う。その上で勝てれば、皆さんもっとうれしいのかな」。競技で「挑戦」する意欲にもつながった。

16日開幕の世界選手権団体戦(韓国・釜山)の代表に選ばれている。伊藤は両手で上を指さし、前向きに言った。「どんどん上を目指していければ。誰も成し遂げられていないことを成し遂げたい。(強豪国の)中国人選手にずっとは負けてはいられないし、そこを乗り越えて爆発できるように。海外では1番を狙って頑張りたいです」。打倒・中国へ、伊藤の挑戦は続いていく。

「中国選手に負けていられない」伊藤美誠か、張本美和か…きょう決まる卓球女子パリ3枠目
https://hochi.news/articles/20240204-OHT1T51304.html?page=1
 伊藤に笑顔が戻った。先月の全日本選手権敗退で、パリ五輪シングルス代表権を逃し、涙して9日。東京五輪混合複金メダリストとして初めて福島県で催された復興イベントに出席。子供が参加した卓球教室では“本気”のスマッシュも見せ、勇気を届けた。「(卓球の)五輪金メダリストで現役選手は私だけ。喜んでもらえて良かった。楽しかった」と終始、笑顔だった。

団体銅の16年リオ、3つのメダルをつかんだ21年東京に続く3度目の五輪に向け、大舞台での実績やダブルスの相性を見て有力視されている。16日からは五輪の出場枠を懸けた世界選手権団体戦(韓国)に臨む。「(日本で)誰も成し遂げられていないことを成し遂げたい。(強豪国の)中国人選手に負けていられないし、乗り越えて爆発したい。海外では1番を狙って」と前向きに決意した。

伊藤美誠、全日本選手権後初の公の場で笑顔全開 イベント参加者は興奮「本物だ」「目に焼きつける」熱烈エールに感激する場面も
https://www.daily.co.jp/general/2024/02/04/0017296102.shtml
伊藤美誠、復興イベントで笑顔「なごみました」パリ五輪代表発表は明日5日
https://www.sponichi.co.jp/sports/news/2024/02/04/kiji/20240204s00026000461000c.html

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2020
My first reaction to this was, whoa ……
but then, she isn’t wrong lol
still can’t tell if she will be the third member or she still insisting on not being a team player (oh right she is the only one with the gold medal, the rest of them are peasants….. j/k) lol

On 2/4, Ito made her first public appearance after Zennihon Takkyu 2024, telling the media that she is the only current Olympic gold medalist in Japan's table tennis, therefore she has to make table tennis more popular and that from now on she hopes to speak and act as a gold medalist.

https://www.sponichi.co.jp/sports/news/2024/02/04/kiji/20240204s00026000461000c.html

• Haha
Reactions: zeio
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Like right here
Post in thread 'WTT Contender Doha 2024' https://www.tabletennisdaily.com/forum/topics/wtt-contender-doha-2024.32718/post-440128

I never "wrote him off". I said, his past few years have not been amazing, but he can still get better and still be #1. As you said, hes still 20, hes got 15 years or so to win the big titles. I never "wrote him off" or "doomed him", those are direct quotes used on this forum. It seems like the pack is closing in on him though, rather than him separating from the pack.

Also you made some random ethnic comment..., i never even made any hint to that effect.

Finally I agree with you that in hindsight, his limitations, especially on the fh, have been plain to see even 5 years ago. I think everybody knows his fh is his weakness. I just disagree with your application. You use it to defend his results. "He needs to step back before he can step forward". I totally get that.

My application is that 1) he should've been fixing his forehand a LONG time ago, and hes had 5 years.

2) apart from the technical weakness of his fh, stylistically he isnt doing enough to change his fh. He stands too square, too center of the table, and relies too much on long rallies.

In fact, I would take it further than you even. Dont take 1 step back, take 5 steps backs. I dont care if he has terrible short term results, if he is looking to improve his style. Look for the 3rd ball kill, look for the step around, change to a hybrid, take 5 steps back if you have a chance at improving long term results. My criticism of him isnt only his poor result, its that he doesnt seem to be taking enough risk. He falls back on his rally style. His current results are not hitting his own goal, and yet he's not taking the 5 steps back either to re-tool.

Technically his Fh just looks weird to me. His elbow is too close, he bends his elbow too early into his stroke, he seems like he hits the ball too thin. Hes had 5 years, all his coaches have told him his fh is not up to par, and his fh still isnt there.

But im not going to keep repeating myself on Harimoto. If you disagree, i have absolutely no objection. We both agreed to have different opinions.

Btw, I like Miwa more because her style just looks more pleasing to me. Not because of your hockey stick theory. I just dont prefer HT's more crab-esque approach.

A couple of things: I never ascribed those ideas to you (where did I say "TBH said/wrote"), though I have already pointed out, your use of some dubious analogies could easily have justified them. I discussed those ideas in an isolated post that did not quote or respond to you and you can decide whether they apply to you or not. You have been free to point out the issues with them for a while so good you got round to it, though it is a bit disingenuous to think that those arguments could only apply to you. There have been discussions about Harimoto's trajectory and achievements for years, as you have pointed out. Hunkeelin(scrubplayer) amongst others had a thread calling Harimoto the most gifted player of all time on mytt, so don't be so parochial as to think these ideas are exclusive to you. And there are other posters on TTD and mytt who have written Harimoto off, they just think his fundamental issues are intractable. I actually don't have a problem with any of this, my main issue is with your framing of the issue as something that is easily in his control.

Moreover, in the context of your Zion Williamson and Andy Wiggins analogies, you think that ascribing to you the belief that Harimoto is not a great player was obviously inaccurate before your recent clarifications? Given his age and competitors, Harimoto is still firmly in the GOAT conversation based on his current trajectory, while it would be hard to propose any such argument for Wiggins or Zion. Why use those players if it is obvious to you that Harimoto is still one of the best players in the world and had achieved good things and can still achieve great things when those players are anything but?

The "random ethnic comment" is my explanation for why vocal critics (and in general people who were often touting him as the TT Jesus) of Harimoto's progress are often Chinese. But maybe it is sample bias and TT is just more popular with Chinese people so I am overthinking this.

Your problem IMHO is that you have not spoken to really good players who have taken risks to fix aspects of their techniques when aspects of their livelihood are tied to their professional results. I have, so I know that there are a lot of dimensions to the issue, even financial ones. It is very hard to convince someone who has achieved a certain level of success to take risks with it especially when it will affect a lot of other things. Moreover, when you have experienced success doing something a certain way, you sometimes want to see how far you can go with it before taking risks that might also not get you where you want to go. There is also the issue of how the new method of play will fit into your overall game. It's a nuanced discussion which you don't seem to show any understanding of, looking at it purely from the perspective that because you are not seeing what you would like to see, it means that it is not being worked on. In fact, there are players who work hard on such and similar things and see little effective change. Sometimes, the result of such changes are not a new level of play, but largely new ways of beating players you usually beat. I watched a lot of videos about the travails that William Henzell did to give himself his best Olympics form in 2008 and 2012. You can listen to Matt Hetherington's discussion with Lily Zhang about how she assumed that her level would get much higher once she dedicated herself to full time training and how this did not pan out quite as she expected. Some people do not realize how hard Timo Boll has worked on revising aspects of his forehand technique with coaches. Same with Quadri on his backhand, which you will still hear people recommend that he work on when watching him in matches. These things are always happening, it is naive to sit in your armchair and say that because Harimoto did not live up to the hype like probably only Lebron James did in the history of basketball that Harimoto is a disappointment.

Reactions: turbozed and Richie
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Miwa never won the WJTTC nor the Japanese women's single title at the age of 15. She still has zero wins against core CNT female players. If in 5 years time, she still has no medals at WTTC or Olympics singles, are you going to say similar things about her to the things you are saying about Tomokazu now? She still is susceptible to consistent off the table heavy topspin players (like her brother is/was), thankfully there aren't that many consistent enough to beat her.

My point though is that your liking her is safe. But that her actual achievements are nothing special next to those of her brother, so it's almost like that you are penalizing Tomo because you don't like his style, and because he has a larger record to criticize.

To be fair, Miwa passes the eye test. On the other hand, no one knows the future. That is the main thing I am trying to point out in criticizing this "unrealized talent = disappointment" argument.

Reactions: Richie and zeio
Jan 2018
3rd member for MT:
Shinozuka Hiroto

3rd member for WT:
Harimoto Miwa

パリ五輪代表(候補予定)✨
男子3人目は、篠塚大登🏓

第33回オリンピック競技大会(2024/パリ)卓球競技の日本代表候補選手が2月5日、ジャパン・スポーツ・オリンピックスクエアにて発表された。
男子シングルス代表候補にはすでに、張本智和(智和企画)、戸上隼輔(明治大学)が内定。この記者会見では、パリ五輪団体戦代表候補選手に、篠塚大登(愛知工業大学)の名が発表された。

パリ五輪代表(候補予定)✨
女子3人目は、張本美和🏓

第33回オリンピック競技大会(2024/パリ)卓球競技の日本代表候補選手が2月5日、ジャパン・スポーツ・オリンピックスクエアにて発表された。
女子シングルス代表候補にはすでに、早田ひな(日本生命)、平野美宇(木下グループ)が内定。この記者会見では、パリ五輪団体戦代表候補選手に、張本美和(木下グループ)の名が発表された。

Last edited:
Jan 2018
Pair for XD:
Harimoto/Hayata

Reserve members for MT/WT:
TBD after WTTC 2024

第33回オリンピック競技大会(2024/パリ)卓球競技 男女日本代表候補予定選手発表
https://jtta.or.jp/news/18001

Reactions: KiwiPong
Jan 2018
【卓球】パリ五輪代表3枠目は15歳張本美和!伊藤美誠は3大会連続五輪ならず 日本協会が発表
https://www.nikkansports.com/sports/news/202402050000353.html
▽女子・渡辺監督「女子については早田選手、平野選手、団体候補選手として張本選手。女子はハイレベルの中の競争。まだ年次も若い。特に平野選手は前回の五輪も経験している。1人経験者もいる。3人力を合わせて、金メダルを獲得したい。(張本美和については)やはり選考基準でうたっているようにダブルスが組めて、シングルスもダブルスも。ふさわしいと思って選出した。パリ五輪は海外の選手と戦う。昨年1年間、国際大会に帯同して、戦いぶり、戦績などを総合的にみながら、今回は張本美和選手が一番ふさわしいと思って選出しました」
▽Women's headcoach Watanabe: "As for the women, Hayata, Hirano, and with Harimoto as the team candidate. The women are competing at a high level. They are still young. Hirano in particular has experience at the previous Olympics. There is also 1 person with experience. I want all 3 of them to combine their strengths and win the gold medal. (As for Harimoto Miwa,) as stated in the selection criteria, someone who can play doubles, both singles and doubles. I thought she was suitable and selected her. They will be competing against overseas players at the Paris Olympics. After attending international tournaments for the past year and taking a comprehensive look at her fighting performance and track record, I deemed Harimoto Miwa as the most suitable candidate this time.”

伊藤美誠落選 パリ五輪代表に15歳張本美和 女子代表監督「本当に選考は悩んで、悩んだ」「総合的に一番ふさわしい」
https://www.daily.co.jp/general/2024/02/05/0017299573.shtml
 女子代表の渡辺武弘監督は、「非常にハイレベルな競争を繰り広げた。(3人とも)まだ年齢も若いし、平野選手は前回五輪を経験していて、1人経験者がいる。3人力を合わせて、五輪代表になったときには中国を倒し、決勝戦で中国を倒して金メダルを獲得したい」と抱負。3枠目の選考理由については「張本美和選手になったが、選考基準でうたっているように、ダブルスが組めて、シングルスもダブルスも活躍できるということでふさわしいと選考した」とし、「海外と戦うので、昨年1年間国際大会を一緒に帯同して、戦いぶりや上位選手との成績を総合的に見ながら、今回は張本美和選手が一番ふさわしいと思って選出した」と話した。

また、伊藤との比較について「本当に選考は悩んで、悩んだ。比較と言うより、伊藤選手も金メダリストで、非常に優秀な選手だと思います」と難しい選考だったことを明かした。その上で、張本の国際大会での結果や戦いぶりに加え「ダブルスも非常に上手で、アジア大会では木原選手とペアを組んで、中国の孫穎莎、王曼昱ペアにも勝った。混合ダブルスでも戸上選手と組んで中国選手に勝ったり。トータルな見方をしたときに、わずかですけども、張本選手を選考させていただきました」と述べた。
Women's national team headcoach Watanabe Takehiro said, "It was a very high-level competition. (All 3) are still young, and Hirano has experience at the previous Olympics, so there is 1 person with experience. I want the 3 of them to work together to defeat China when they become part of the Olympic team and win the gold medal by defeating China in the final." Regarding the reasoning behind the selection of the 3rd spot, he said, "It came down to Harimoto Miwa, but as stated in the selection criteria, I deemed her as suitable because she can play doubles and is active in both singles and doubles." "I went to international tournaments with her last year, and after looking at her performance and results against top-ranked players comprehensively, I chose Harimoto Miwa because I thought she was the most suitable this time."

Regarding the comparison with Ito, he revealed that "it was a very, very difficult selection process. Rather than making a comparison, the fact is Ito is also a gold medalist and I think she is an extremely talented player." In addition to Harimoto's results and fighting performance in international tournaments, he said, "She is also very good at doubles, and at the Asian Games, she teamed up with Kihara and beat the Chinese pair of Sun Yingsha and Wang Manyu. In mixed doubles as well, she teamed up with Togami and beat a Chinese pair. When I looked at it from a comprehensive perspective, even though it was just a little bit of difference, I decided to select Harimoto."

Last edited:
Jan 2018
JTTA to Ito:

This user has no status.
I think Hayata should play the doubles not just because of her poor record in singles (never won Chen Meng, Sun Yingsha or Wang Manyu) after all its the same for Miwa, and Hirano got only 1 (recent and amazing) win over SYS.

But because she's the leftie and an excellent doubles player and 1 point in singles is worth the same than 1 point in doubles.

Now it depends who she is most comfortable to play with in doubles and whom among Miwa and Miu is most likely to win in singles. History says Miu is (largely) ahead, but Miwa is improving fast and maybe in 6 months time she's clearly the stronger player.