Leaving extra rubber on blade when cutting? (Ma Lin)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2013
On Topic Reply:

Most guys in my club leave a little extra as a bumper for when they hit the table as well as helps take the rubber off when we change out. I don't think there are any advantages other than a little extra surface area. Although it's probably just a mind trick if you think it adds any extra power.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
On Topic Reply:

Most guys in my club leave a little extra as a bumper for when they hit the table as well as helps take the rubber off when we change out. I don't think there are any advantages other than a little extra surface area. Although it's probably just a mind trick if you think it adds any extra power.

Agree. For me, I somehow feel like I have better control without edge tape than with edge tape, which is not very logic :p Might be a similar thing.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2013
I think that is just a spacing so that when it shrink, it will fit to the blade. that what I am doing on my rubbers. and when time passes by, it just shrink into a perfect size

says Aging is a killer
Actually, now that I think about it, there's probably a slight effect to having a bit of overhang.
A ball hitting the middle of the table bounces differently that if it hit the white end lines. Similarly, the ball hitting the end of the bat (not the edge, edge) behaves differently than at the middle. So if we extend the rubber beyond the edge it may increase the 'sweet spot' to the blade end, if you see what I mean.
I think that's what those pros may be theorising.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2012
hmm it will give the better feel when hitting the ball..thats what chinese said

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2012
what i know is if left extra rubber,that will increases the vibration(because of air friction),and it will have the better feeling when contact with the ball....but if too much the vibration will be too much and it will not feel nice:p....

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says Aging is a killer
Overhang, that's what I got, baby.

Xiom bat with extended rubber 2013-05-09-325 (1024x766).jpg

I'm taking no chances.

Attachments

• Xiom bat with extended rubber 2013-05-09-325 (120x90).jpg
    Xiom bat with extended rubber 2013-05-09-325 (120x90).jpg
    43 KB · Views: 194
  • Xiom bat with extended rubber 2013-05-09-325 (640x479).jpg
    Xiom bat with extended rubber 2013-05-09-325 (640x479).jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 199
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
And maybe that's why they leave that extra rubber, so if there is a problem they can cut the overhanging material and continue playing with the same bat.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
what i know is if left extra rubber,that will increases the vibration(because of air friction),and it will have the better feeling when contact with the ball....but if too much the vibration will be too much and it will not feel nice:p....

That is part of it. I have tried it and compared. It does give you better feeling and bigger sound. Feels like the topsheet grabs the ball better.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2012
That is part of it. I have tried it and compared. It does give you better feeling and bigger sound. Feels like the topsheet grabs the ball better.

hmm...thats why china many player do it like that...i know this info in the china pingpong magazine:p...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2013
Im not an experienced player so ill take my guess at it. my first guess is it provdes ridgidity to the rubber making it more flat which some penholders might like. Maybe the rubber is stronger throughout with more ridigid mid when the bottom is left whole becuase there is sponge inside and you are depending on the paddle and some paddles are short or maybe he just wants to give away the rubber and why ruin good rubber or maybe its just easier to peel who knows but its not my business if they choose to do it for personal reasons. They are top players and i love to watch him play so much style and technique for a ping pong players. The penhold players are really fun and creative to watch for me at least.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2013
Disclaimer: I have never tried this (but now I want to!)

[TL;DR: I think of this like a see-saw on a playground, where the equivalent of its fulcrum is your forearm, if you're holding the blade flat. The longer the see-saw, and the wider your rubber, the more minute control you have determining its degree of roll.]

My opinion, as a penholder, is that the extra rubber (not just the fins) would give you more torsional control since you need to apply slightly more (torsional) force in order to move the extra weight of the rubber. The extra force on your fingers and wrist is very slight (increasing "touch/feeling"), and combined with the small extra weight, you don't "sweep" through the torsional movement as quickly. You're essentially forcing the forearm rotation to move slower so that you can extend the brief time for which you get to "feel" the ball. The very slight (decreased) change in horizontal arm speed (from the extra weight) would be well worth the extra mental time, or feeling time, which you get on the ball. Furthermore, the extra weight of the rubber may make up (and probably does) for the force which is lost from the decreased arm speed, and therefore, the ball travels at a similar rate as before, but the movement itself was executed in an easier manner.

I think the reason why blades are not built with wider wings (which would be an equivalent assumption) is that doing so would worsen its performance for most other (modern) techniques besides flipping, as blades are subject to some complex physics regarding elasticity and other things: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=60725&PN=1

Practical restrictions on blades, such as head sizes, may also be the reason why we see so much extra rubber on the rest of the blade, since it is a way to add mass, and therefore force and ball speed, to the whole paddle without compromising its performance (once again, in regard to elasticity).

...says the armchair physicist.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2013
Well, the material of the blades and rubber had been calculated. And it's been expanded by all vendors.

Did you watch XX vs ZJK at WTTC? XX had to cut his rubber during the game and hell he had a lot to cut. Wonder how his his bat passed the tests for the overhanging material as he started playing :/ .
I actually started a thread on this. The answer I got was that he had hit his other bat on the table durring a rally and he had to trim some rubber off of a back up. You can see him showing the racket he hit to the umpire before changing it.