Light BH rubber

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2024
Once again I wanted to ask the collective wisdom of this website. Looking for an alternative to Rakes Z on the backhand. Not sure I love having hybrid on BH to begin with, but my biggest gripe with it is the weight. I would like to reduce the weight of the overall setup (as it's quite uncomfortably heavy 200gr) and since I am happy with all other components, this is the one I'd probably sacrifice. Ideally I would want it to weight <45gr cut. So far my research yielded the following options: Xiom Vega Europe, Neottec X5-M, Palio AK47 Red.
Please feel free to suggest anything else, but I am likely not going to be able to afford Tenergy rubbers.

I have the same concern, since using an heavy FH rubber I need to keep BH light, so here is my recipe:

- Donic Z2 1.9 if you want the block capability of 47.5° rubber
- Omega 7 Europe even max, very light for its performance
- of course Vega Europe DF but performance-wise O7Euro is on another planet and you're still under 45g
- Dynaryz ACC 2.0, I have a sheet cut 157x150mm that weights 45gr

Performance wise (simplifying...): ACC>=Z2>O7Euro>>Vega Europe DF

Also Hurricane 3 Neo 37 2.1 is light unboosted (45 gr on 157x150mm), but you need to boost at least one layer (2gr more) otherwise speed is too low compared to the above rubbers.

Side note: I have used Rakza Z on BH, it is lovely but the weight is medium-high (mine are 50-51gr)

Vega Europe is way softer than Rakza Z. X5-M is much closer… I am playing with Donic Bluegrip S2 which is something in between. I think they are all lighter than Rakza Z. I also like Glayzer (normal).

Cheers
L-zr

says Aging is a killer
Gewo neo Proton 325 or some other equivalent ESN rubber. Extremely light, extremely controllable. Think of it as a more spinny SP rubber.
The 375 version is heavier with more attacking options. But still lightish.

Last edited:
Reactions: kindof99
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2019
Once again I wanted to ask the collective wisdom of this website. Looking for an alternative to Rakes Z on the backhand. Not sure I love having hybrid on BH to begin with, but my biggest gripe with it is the weight. I would like to reduce the weight of the overall setup (as it's quite uncomfortably heavy 200gr) and since I am happy with all other components, this is the one I'd probably sacrifice. Ideally I would want it to weight <45gr cut. So far my research yielded the following options: Xiom Vega Europe, Neottec X5-M, Palio AK47 Red.
Please feel free to suggest anything else, but I am likely not going to be able to afford Tenergy rubbers.
Nittaku Factive 2.0mm is around 43g when cut to 157mm x 150mm. Good rubber and fairly cheap.

says Master blocker
says Master blocker
Mar 2015
Read 1 reviews
Victas V>11 is very light, I use it on my BH

Reactions: kindof99
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2019
Read 1 reviews
Factive is regarded an entry level Tensor in Germany. Might be light but not close in performance compared to e.g. V>11 or the like.

Other options: Battle 3 38 (black, cut to 157 mm x 150 mm) weighed around 46g.
Glayzer 09C just 44g (99g with package).
Vega Asia (47.5°) and even more the Asia DF (42.5°) are below 45g. Hopefully the new Vega Asia H (50°) is also that light and has a better grip than the normal Vega Asia.
Soft, slow, spinny: 729 Phoenix 2 39g to 40g.

Boosted rubbers: My boosted Hurricanes are usually as light/heavy as the unboosted ones but I glue them still domed and don't wait for them to flatten.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2019
Read 1 reviews
What kind of glue do you use (Finezip, Revo 3 High Viscosity?) and how many layers? I would imagine that a rubber press is necessary when using this procedure, is that so?
Revolution No. 3, normal viscosity. Two layers on the sponge and one or two on the blade.
Works for H3 + two layers Seamoon. Sometimes a pile of books is needed if the dome is too pronounced usually only with too thick or too many booster layers😉

Reactions: Jimbob MacInbred
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2017
...Sometimes a pile of books is needed if the dome is too pronounced...
Hmm, like the entire works of Stephen King?

But seriously: I usually boost my fh rubber too, but glue it only when it has flattened again. I suppose you have used this method quite a few times before...
When glueing a still domed rubber, do you not encounter (when taking the rubber off) an even more shrunk rubber than usual, and likely preventing you from (re-boosting and) re-using the rubber again, because it then would just be too small to fit on the blade face? That's what I would be thinking. Or do you use a rubber only once?

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2024
Thanks all for your suggestions, plenty of rubbers that I haven't had on my radar. Unfortunately, it seems that my only local options from all rubbers listed above are Vega Europe and Hurricane 3 H37. The rest can definitely be ordered (from TT11 or other sources) but due to minimal order requirement and shipping charges they would enter Tenergy price territory.

Reactions: Fedex78
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2019
Read 1 reviews
Hmm, like the entire works of Stephen King?

But seriously: I usually boost my fh rubber too, but only when it has flattened again. I suppose you have used this method quite a few times before...
When glueing a still domed rubber, do you not encounter (when taking the rubber off) an even more shrunk rubber than usual, and likely preventing you from (re-boosting and) re-using the rubber again, because it then would just be too small to fit on the blade face? That's what I would be thinking. Or do you use a rubber only once?
Shrinks a bit but reboosting is usually enough to make the rubbers fit again. If they don't fit I still use them for training or if not too small (2 mm +- on the edges are allowed) in league matches.

Reactions: Jimbob MacInbred
Thanks all for your suggestions, plenty of rubbers that I haven't had on my radar. Unfortunately, it seems that my only local options from all rubbers listed above are Vega Europe and Hurricane 3 H37. The rest can definitely be ordered (from TT11 or other sources) but due to minimal order requirement and shipping charges they would enter Tenergy price territory.
If you go with H3 37, I suggest you to:

- remove the glue layer put by the manufacturer on the rubber
- boost with two layers of seamoon, the first layer ideally thick and the second, after 12-24 hours, ideally thin

Reactions: cockney_niwa