Liu Guoliangs Big Idea! World Tour!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2011
Xu Xin and Adrien Mattenet will pair at Korean Open World Tour!

http://www.ittf.com/_front_page/ittf_full_story1.asp?ID=30848&Competition_ID=2139&

i think this is a brilliant idea. also, it shows that the chinese are willing to help promote world tt rather than stay the way they are. i can understand why, they obviously want more of a challenge.

xuxinmattenet.jpg

i think the idea that Liu has come up with is fantastic. it would certinaly add a new dimension to the worlds if it was put in! ...i dont see why it couldnt be, pairs from different countries are allowed in the europeans so i dont see why it couldnt be done for the worlds..

i think its a great idea. what do you guys think?

EDIT: look at this!
http://www.ittf.com/ittf_tournaments/ittf_entries_web_doubles.asp?Gender=M&Tour_ID=2210&Doubles=1

those doubles pairings....look very interesting! Will make the doubles much more interesting i think! :)

Photo source: Adrien Mattenet (Vincent Kovacs) Xu Xin (Alex Lomaev)

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2011
Read 7 reviews
Mattenet with Xu Xin, lol this will be funny! :D
Mostly the chinese are paired with Koreans, but I would like to see more asian players paired with europeans..
Anyways, I like this idea a lot, definitelly I will watch the doubles with more interrest!
Too bad I dont see any of this in women doubles.. :(

says TTD Team vs Pongfinity OUT NOW on our YT Channel
says TTD Team vs Pongfinity OUT NOW on our YT Channel
Administrator
Oct 2010
Wow great idea! This is similar to that charity match a few years ago when Ma Long teamed up with Timo Boll! That was awesome!

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I actually do not fully get why table tennis is so nationality centered. At the big important tennis tournaments they don't really focus on what country a player is from. They just focus on the player. How did this get to be the status quo? I get why you would do that in the Olympics. I get why you might do that in the team championships. But in a singles tournament?

So, I love the idea that Xu Xin will play with Adrien Mattenet. Perhaps they could get Jun Mizutani and Michael Maze to play against them and it would be a doubles match of defensive lobbers. That might be a really fun match.

Reactions: Dan
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2011
I actually do not fully get why table tennis is so nationality centered. At the big important tennis tournaments they don't really focus on what country a player is from. They just focus on the player. How did this get to be the status quo? I get why you would do that in the Olympics. I get why you might do that in the team championships. But in a singles tournament?

So, I love the idea that Xu Xin will play with Adrien Mattenet. Perhaps they could get Jun Mizutani and Michael Maze to play against them and it would be a doubles match of defensive lobbers. That might be a really fun match.

I kind of believe that many tennis pro player getting the sponsored by themselves, instead of mainly sponsor by their own country. However, most TT players still need their own country (or national team) to fund all their activities. It is not easy that to find many company which willing to fund you like few hundred thousand to million every year. Therefore this become that the country representative being emphasized in TT.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011

Jun + Maze would be a big fail though, since they are both lefties. I have rarely seen a doubles combination of two lefties, and the moments it did happen, you could tell why it is rare ;)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2011
Jun + Maze would be a big fail though, since they are both lefties. I have rarely seen a doubles combination of two lefties, and the moments it did happen, you could tell why it is rare ;)

the only successful double lefty i have seen was gatien and chila..tey were pretty good :p i thknk maze and jun wouldnt be great though :p

i like this idea a lot, liu seems very creative generally...this idea, his ideas for the chinese trials...he is very good for the sport i think :)

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews

I agree with this. I was just goofing around and picking two more lobbers who like to back up and play defense since Xu Xin and Adrien Mattenet both like to do that. In other words, I am not so sure Xu Xin and Adrien Mattenet will be that great together. But, who knows, I could be wrong. Xu Xin is certainly good enough to bring Mattenet to a higher level.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012

Here is a successful lefties pair :). Gatien and Chila, the good old times!