Looking for a backhand-punch rubber

This user has no status.
Hi folks,

I would like some suggestions regarding a new backhand rubber

I have been playing a few months now with the infamous Nittaku Fastarc G-1 on both sides. While I love it on my forehand, on my backhand its more of a love-hate relationship.

I love the rubber whenever I do slow spinny backhand openups against backspin. It often results in a direct point because the opponent is overwhelmed by the amount of spin I create.

I also love it for doing banana flicks on short sidespin serves. This also often results in a direct point.

But I hate it whenever the rally is open and my opponent starts pressuring my backhand. I feel like Im trapped and can’t do anything else then just put the ball back.

I figured that after my openup, I am more of a backhand punch player. And for some reason I just find it hard to punch with the G-1.

So I am looking for a rubber thats more suited for punching close to the table, but can still create alot of spin on the openup and flicks.

A few rubbers that crossed my mind are:
-Fastarc P-1. Seems the most similar to the G-1 with the same sponge hardnes of 47,5 deg, but with a softer topsheet.
-Fastarc C-1. I believe it has the same topsheet as the G-1, but with a softer sponge.
-Tibhar Hybrid MK. Seems to be a good allrounder with lots of spin capabilities.

Looking forward to suggestions!

Reactions: Silver smasher
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2023
I use nittaku hammond z2 2.0 where its very effective for punch shots. As it's fairly hard, open ups are more difficult as the balls don't sink into the sponge as much as a softer rubber. I think it's a trade-off between a better punch rubber (harder) vs a better spin/flick (softer/catapulty) rubber.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2018
Hi folks,

I have been playing a few months now with the infamous Nittaku Fastarc G-1 on both sides. While I love it on my forehand, on my backhand its more of a love-hate relationship.

I love the rubber whenever I do slow spinny backhand openups against backspin. It often results in a direct point because the opponent is overwhelmed by the amount of spin I create.

I also love it for doing banana flicks on short sidespin serves. This also often results in a direct point.

But I hate it whenever the rally is open and my opponent starts pressuring my backhand. I feel like Im trapped and can’t do anything else then just put the ball back.

I figured that after my openup, I am more of a backhand punch player. And for some reason I just find it hard to punch with the G-1.

So I am looking for a rubber thats more suited for punching close to the table, but can still create alot of spin on the openup and flicks.

-Fastarc P-1. Seems the most similar to the G-1 with the same sponge hardnes of 47,5 deg, but with a softer topsheet.
-Fastarc C-1. I believe it has the same topsheet as the G-1, but with a softer sponge.
-Tibhar Hybrid MK. Seems to be a good allrounder with lots of spin capabilities.

I guess the problem is if you get a punch oriented rubber you will lose some of the spiny open ups. It's always balance between the two.
If you like German made rubbers the ones that are oriented for fast hits are Rasanter V series, so V47, Xiom Vega Asia (T64-ish), Gewo Nexxus 48 XT (XT is for speed, EL would be more like the G-1). These are all around 47-8degrees sponge hardness like G-1.

From Japanese made rubbers there's obviously Tenergy 64, Stiga Mantra Pro M in this hardness range.

Some alternative might be Tenergy 80, Victas V>15 extra, Tibhar MX-P, these are more balanced rubbers between speed and spin and still have about the same hardness.

From Chinese rubbers you can try the Yinhe Moon 12 M- or M+, but it's not as fast as these other rubbers, but still has some more than sufficient bounce.

I never tried Tibhar Quantum X Pro but should worth a look too. I played against it and it seems like a worthy rubber.

It's worth to note that many German made rubbers don't last long. G-1 lasts very long, and V>15 too. MXP, Vega Asia, Gewo nexxus etc etc not so much.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2018
speaking of durability, why is G1 also from ESN last so long whereas M1, MX-P et al are infamous for their short useful life. I am baffled...
Planned obsolescence? MXP or Rasanter dying after 4 weeks sure helps Tibhar's, Andro's (and ESN's bottom lines)

I don't see an issue using G-1 or V15 Extra for even a year, I have 2 year old black sheet that is not much worse than a new red one to be honest.

Also it's interesting that the Japanese brands don't release so many new rubbers. Like Victas maybe releases a new rubber series every 2 years, Yasaka and Nittaku every 5 years?

The more "hip" brands like Andro, Tibhar, Xiom etc shit out a new lineup every year.

I don't wanna bully any brand, but seems like the Japanese ones are not doing so much of a crash grab.

Reactions: Amayzde
says Master blocker
says Master blocker
Mar 2015
Read 1 reviews
Hi folks,

I was playing with the same setup (G1 on both sides), and I was looking -exactly like you- for a backhand rubber good for blocking and backhand punches, as my game relies heavily on these shots.

The best rubbers that I've tried in these areas are:
-Tenergy 64. Excellent for blocking, superb in backahnd punch shot but a it's a bit fast and uncontrollable for long pushes.
-Victas V>11. This is my current choice. It is spin insensitive, perfect for blocking and backhand shots but it's not the best choice for flicks or lifting underspin balls. But you can't have it all....

Reactions: Amayzde
speaking of durability, why is G1 also from ESN last so long whereas M1, MX-P et al are infamous for their short useful life. I am baffled...
I think bounciness costs in lifetime.
More bounce = less life. The high tension also wears on the top sheet…

Cheers
L-zr

says ESN 42 hardness is my magic number
says ESN 42 hardness is my magic number
Mar 2021
I think bounciness costs in lifetime.
More bounce = less life. The high tension also wears on the top sheet…

Cheers
L-zr
then it would be safe to assume those non tension non speed glue effect rubber would last a long long time. Am I correct to say such a statement?

then it would be safe to assume those non tension non speed glue effect rubber would last a long long time. Am I correct to say such a statement?
With the same quality components it would last longer, how long… hard to say…

Cheers
L-zr

This user has no status.
G1 itself is very good for backhand punch. You'd be hard pressed to find something that can do everything as well as G1. Part of me would like you to keep trying backhand punch using G1 but since you asked for a different rubber than look no further than Vega Europe or stiga DNA.
Yes, you are right. Like I said its not that I don’t like G-1 on bh at all. Just when the opponent pressures my bh it becomes a weak point.

So maybe I put the title a bit wrong. Im not looking for too big of a change. But rather something similar with more control that allows me to have more feeling.

Thats why I mentioned the C-1 and P-1. Those have a softer feel that might be more foregiving.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2020
Yes, you are right. Like I said its not that I don’t like G-1 on bh at all. Just when the opponent pressures my bh it becomes a weak point.

So maybe I put the title a bit wrong. Im not looking for too big of a change. But rather something similar with more control that allows me to have more feeling.

Thats why I mentioned the C-1 and P-1. Those have a softer feel that might be more foregiving.

Yes, the G-1 has a bit harder top-sheet. It's good but I also prefer slightly softer top-sheet, while having similar sponge hardness, on the BH. It's more easily accessible on the BH. So I can follow your feeling that you try to describe. I can suggest Vega Pro or Vega X. Vega Pro feels a bit softer than Vega X. Both feel better on the BH for me. Vega X is more powerful. It's hard to estimate which one of those 2 you'd like more. I think you could start with Vega Pro. Cheers.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2010
The way I see it, as a G1 user is that rubber requires a quite fast blade to he competent. It's a well rounded rubber that stands out in consistency, but doesn't have neither the spring of fastest tensor nor the spin of D05/T05.
I've tried on Innerforce Series as a BH rubber but it turned out to be the same: it lacks power when it comes to rallying and pushing.

Better stick to more lively/bouncier alternatives with Inner series.