Ma Long's free arm?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2016
I think is is something he learned early and became part of his style, rooted in balance, timing the ball and core rotation/weight transfer. I recollect seeing teaching video where beginners are taught to first hit the ball off their free hand, and maybe the habit goes all the way back to that kind of early training.

says Aging is a killer
Body adjustment compass

......... ma long uses his free arm like some kind of "body adjustment compass" . .......

To date, that is the best phrase to describe this action that I have heard.
That active free hand technique was very popular among coaches in the nineties. I got the impression that it was developed by the Swedes. I know that I tend to use it as unfortunately my bat sometimes hits the fingers of my Freehand on bh shots, oops.
For English posters, look at Danny Reed. He tends to use his whole forearm as his "body adjustment compass".

Last edited:
Reactions: TTFrenzy
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
I dont know if my "theory" is accurate but after watching some FH in slow motion, he always removes his hand away exactly at the time where the ball is on its highest point or a little before it reaches its highest point. Strokes off the bounce, unexpected balls and wide FH balls he almost never extends his hand cause he simply does not have the time to do so.

Same situation for the BH. On fast BH rallies he does not extend his hand but on underspin and balls that he has the time to extend he does it and again he removes the hand a little to the back & down when the ball is on its highest point. So I believe it helps him with the timing also

Damn now that I have watched his FH and BH again and again, I realize its a "multitasking" kind technique with one move he achieves many things. Definitely worth doing and teaching, especially on beginners and players who have problem with their BH which is way more difficult to execute correctly, compared to a FH stroke because your timing needs to be perfect

Yes. Balance and timing and ball tracking. Everything he does is amazing and if it can be copied, should be copied.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
Thanks guys, some 3rd party validation of thoughts/observation is always useful. I cant do his free arm technique in my FH I have a solid and small compact stroke, but I will definitely try it out on the BH side, but first I needed to know if my observation was correct

I was doubtful because I couldnt know if what I am observing is really there and actually exists and it isnt some weird coincidence and eye-mind tricks. Thanks again!

Reed's technique on FH is definitely more easy for me , his forearm movement to the side of the body is faster and more compact.

Ma long literally uses his hand to have the exact distance he needs to, to strike the ball on the sweet spot of his body and the paddle. As a civil engineer its always interesting/thrilling for me to understand why the top players actually are the top players, body mechanics are f00king (connor mcgregor accent) awesome

The fact that most likely his technique is a natural talent (like some kids knowing how to play music without ever being taught the musical notes) and not taught ( All these years I havent seen a top pro extending his hand so much in a FH) makes it even more unbelievable and probably explains why ML is the best ever in mid and away from the table FH rally exchanges

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Yes. Balance and timing and ball tracking. Everythi g he doez is amazing and it can be copied, should be copied.

Here I agree only to the degree that what he is doing gives him advantages and that is far from clear. I have seen many mimic this stuff in the hope of copying Ma Long and I hardly understand what it does for them to be honest other than make them feel good, which counts for something I guess.

Reactions: TTFrenzy
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Well, of course, consciously copying somebody does go against my Zen philosophy of table tennis, which says that thinking too much about mechanics while you play is a bad thing. On the other hand techniques take time to become automatic.

My guess is that with Ma Long, every detail of what he does adds something because he seems ridiculously efficient to me.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Informarion from Tennis:

It is worth training the off hand. But once you play, you have to forget it and hope the technique takes care of itself.

My left hand used to drop horribly and it definitely made it harder to reset and to use my body in the stroke. I only figured it out as a result of video footage. And it was hard to train a good habit into my left arm. But it is at least better than it was.

In tennis they definitely teach how to use the off hand. I haven't heard too many coaches show how to use the off hand in table tennis. But I have seen a couple of guys mention it.

Sent from The Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

Last edited:
Reactions: Marc
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews

Fang bo does something similar but his fist is closed and he only "marks" the ball with his elbow closed a bit and without full hand extention . I guess in the end what matters is balance/body adjustment however you like to place your free arm. ZJK keeps his free arm tucked in but he strikes the ball early without so much body rotation like the typical FH technique

Informarion from Tennis:

It is worth training the off hand. But once you play, you have to forget it and hope the technique takes care of itself.

My left hand used to drop horribly and it definitely made it harder to reset and to use my body in the stroke. I only figured it out as a result of video footage. And it was hard to train a good habit into my left arm. But it is at least better than it was.

In tennis they definitely teach how to use the off hand. I haven't heard too many coaches show how to use the off hand in table tennis. But I have seen a couple of guys mention it.

Sent from The Subterranean Workshop by Telepath
That's a good vid Carl. I learned to do that playing tennis when I was younger and find it very useful for table tennis.

I think when Ma Long pulls his left arm in it accelerates his rotation like a figure skater in this vid. The spin in the start of the vid is all that's relevant. I've tried this on skates when I was a kid and it's pretty cool to feel the acceleration when you pull your arms in.