Need an advise for a blade change

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2014
Greetings,
I am playing with stiga infinity for 1 year.I think that this blade has a very good control but i think its also slow for me.
I am thinking to go in a butterfly viscaria,I have tried and its fine for my FH shots.
But I am playing an offensive pimple in my BH and I dont know if viscaria is good for this type of rubbers.

Any advise of a differnet blade will be helpfull.
Thanks.

This user has no status.
I have given this advice before but...
Generally its a bad idea to change your blade. If you really find it to slow first get harder, faster rubbers or boost your current ones. If you still arent getting enough speed then MAYBE change your blade but first look at your technique or ask your coach. The reason is because the longer you have played with one blade, the longer it will take to adjust to a new one.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Don you have any videos of you playing?

Why do you feel the Infinity is too slow? That is not a slow blade. It is decently fast. I know a guy who is 2500 and he uses that blade. It is fast enough for him. What makes it not fast enough for you?

What do you think your level is?

If someone pushes heavy backspin to your FH how comfortable are you attacking it?

If someone pushes heavy backspin to your BH how comfortable are you attacking it?

Without having some idea of how you play it would be hard to give advice on equipment.

Sent from the Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2014
Don you have any videos of you playing?

Why do you feel the Infinity is too slow? That is not a slow blade. It is decently fast. I know a guy who is 2500 and he uses that blade. It is fast enough for him. What makes it not fast enough for you?

What do you think your level is?

If someone pushes heavy backspin to your FH how comfortable are you attacking it?

If someone pushes heavy backspin to your BH how comfortable are you attacking it?

Without having some idea of how you play it would be hard to give advice on equipment.

Unfortunately,I dont have any videos of me playing.But I can asnwer your questions.
I found it slow because I have to use a lot of power with my hand to return the a heavy FH spin with my FH.I am able to return heavy FH spins with my FH close and far from the table.
My BH is not so good as my FH and thats why I am using offensive pimples.I can block heavy spins in my BH but I cant attack it back most of the times.

Also I am almost in the best 100 players in my country. (108 position in the ranking list)
I know that fast blades need more control but I think I can handle it when I will play enough with the new blade.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
Unfortunately,I dont have any videos of me playing.But I can asnwer your questions.
I found it slow because I have to use a lot of power with my hand to return the a heavy FH spin with my FH.I am able to return heavy FH spins with my FH close and far from the table.
My BH is not so good as my FH and thats why I am using offensive pimples.I can block heavy spins in my BH but I cant attack it back most of the times.

Also I am almost in the best 100 players in my country. (108 position in the ranking list)
I know that fast blades need more control but I think I can handle it when I will play enough with the new blade.

Firstly, congratulations on your high ranking!

Secondly , when you say the blade is too slow, you could be talking about the rubbers. Is your FH too slow? What rubbers do you currently use?

If it is just your backhand, I cannot help as I know nothing about pips other than I hate playing against them! :)

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Wait. You are ranked 108 in Greece and you don't have video of yourself playing? That is unfortunate. You should try to get some decent footage of yourself. I have a feeling that would be nice for you to have for your own benefit.

If you are that level, don't you study footage to help you improve?

From a technical standpoint, it is worth fixing the pace of the FH through improvement of technique. Equipment won't really change that.

That being said, a Viscaria is an excellent blade and I am sure it would be fine for you. But, regardless of whether you keep the Infinity or change to the Viscaria, you will probably still need to fix the technique of your FH if you want it to be fast enough to be dangerous so you can put the ball past your opponents.

Reactions: Broken and Suga D
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Thank you for your advices so far..
I think upsidedown that you are right about improving my technique,but how easy is to change my technique after so many years with this style of play?

Definitely not easy. Do you work with a coach who helps you improve? Video footage also helps you spot and correct certain technical details that are hard to see without good footage.

But it sounds like you've gotten to a pretty decently level as things are.

Reactions: Yecats Encerwal
This user has no status.
I used to imagine that I played like Zhang Jike...

Then I actually filmed myself and found that I played like a much slower version of a blindfolded cross between Stefan Fergel and Werner Shlager with their shoelaces tied together.

:)

Since then I have worked on my technique and am still trying to change bad habits!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
I used to imagine that I played like Zhang Jike...

Then I actually filmed myself and found that I played like a much slower version of a blindfolded cross between Stefan Fergel and Werner Shlager with their shoelaces tied together.

:)

Since then I have worked on my technique and am still trying to change bad habits!

I still can remember quite good the first time i got recorded.
That was 30 years ago on a JVC VCR.
Man, was i disappointed of myself...
[Emoji23]

Last edited: