New Ball for 2014 Confirmed (ITTF Study)

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
The TT world will be very interesting once this ball has been finally released.

It will, and, of course, the Chinese team will have been training with it long before anyone else. :) LOL. And, since attacking serves and pushes will be easier, and the Chinese are also the best at that, it might actually even widen the gap.

Reactions: Dan

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀
Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
It will, and, of course, the Chinese team will have been training with it long before anyone else. :) LOL. And, since attacking serves and pushes will be easier, and the Chinese are also the best at that, it might actually even widen the gap.

Haha yes! That is a worrying thought!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2013

Possible, but I'm sure China will also distribute the new balls to the other top players... I would think they are honorable men to beat their opponents when both players are at 100%... otherwise, what's the point of taking advantage and creating a bad name for themselves?

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Possible, but I'm sure China will also distribute the new balls to the other top players... I would think they are honorable men to beat their opponents when both players are at 100%... otherwise, what's the point of taking advantage and creating a bad name for themselves?

True and they have every reason to want a more even playing field. They really already are so much better than everyone else. :)

says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
It's a chance for manufacturers to make a windfall by introducing a whole series of new products "especially designed for the new ball". And they will mysteriously be more expensive. My theory is that this is the main reason that ITTF made this change. I have never believed the "impending ban on celluloid production" explanation claimed by ITTF president Aham Sharara. I also wonder if the people at ITTF who made this decision got something under the table form manufacturers for pushing this change through? International sports federations answer to nobody -- think of FIFA and IOC -- and in Switzerland where most federations have headquarters, this kind of official corruption would not be illegal -- which is why most sports federations maintain their headquarters there. Let me emphasize, this is what I suspect based on my cynical nature. I have no evidence for it. But I don't apologize for raising the question.

Anyway, since it's a done deal, all we can do is hope for the best.

As for anyone who suggests that this change is an attempt to reduce Chinese dominance, my response is follow the money. Not so easy in this case, but still... If ITTF was thinking this could reduce Chinese dominance, they are simply wrong. Actually, ANY rule change, no matter how trivial, ultimately benefits Chinese dominance since (a) they have many more players to choose from and an amazing depth of coaching infrastructure, so will always find the perfect players to match any given set of rules, and (b) they will immediately have a bunch of guys with PhDs figuring out the best way to deal with the new balls and will implement a strategic or equipment-based response to it sooner than everyone else.

They are just better, have orders of magnitude more players and coaches and fundamentally care more about the sport at a national level.

Last edited:
Reactions: chinguyen and NDY

foz

This user has no status.
It's a chance for manufacturers to make a windfall by introducing a whole series of new products "especially designed for the new ball". And they will mysteriously be more expensive. My theory is that this is the main reason that ITTF made this change. I have never believed the "impending ban on celluloid production" explanation claimed by ITTF president Aham Sharara. I also wonder if the people at ITTF who made this decision got something under the table form manufacturers for pushing this change through? International sports federations answer to nobody -- think of FIFA and IOC -- and in Switzerland where most federations have headquarters, this kind of official corruption would not be illegal -- which is why most sports federations maintain their headquarters there. Let me emphasize, this is what I suspect based on my cynical nature. I have no evidence for it. But I don't apologize for raising the question.

Anyway, since it's a done deal, all we can do is hope for the best.

As for anyone who suggests that this change is an attempt to reduce Chinese dominance, my response is follow the money. Not so easy in this case, but still... If ITTF was thinking this could reduce Chinese dominance, they are simply wrong. Actually, ANY rule change, no matter how trivial, ultimately benefits Chinese dominance since (a) they have many more players to choose from and an amazing depth of coaching infrastructure, so will always find the perfect players to match any given set of rules, and (b) they will immediately have a bunch of guys with PhDs figuring out the best way to deal with the new balls and will implement a strategic or equipment-based response to it sooner than everyone else.

They are just better, have orders of magnitude more players and coaches and fundamentally care more about the sport at a national level.

Spot on!!! If there was only one rubber and one blade, there would be only one 38mm ball!
Still, I like change most of the time, it's what keeps us all so interested, just wish it wasn't so damn expensive, :-/

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2013
Read 7 reviews
According to DHS, the new ball will have seam like the current celluloid balls instead of no seam as before. They claim their balls are as close to celluloid balls as possible in every way. So the balls are more widely acceptable by pro players. Also they are not much different to make as no seam balls so hopefully the cost will not change much.

International tournament will start using the new ball in July 2014. Celluloid balls can still be made and bought in the next 2 years until June 2016.

http://www.dhs-sports.com/portal/content/15495

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2011
I hope DHS are right and the balls are simlar to the celluloid ones. thatt would be ideal.
I dont want my life as a defender being made much harder!
however, if the ball is slower with less spin it may be a manageable compromise :) if they cant hit it as hard and i only need to generate a bit more spin..i can manage that :p
but hopefully there wont be much change, I dont want to have to adapt my game/technique much...
the tt companies are good at what they do. i trust they will come up with a ball close to the current one. :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2013
hmmm basing on my own understanding of the new ball, this may be infavorable for our defensive players wherein they play the game depending on the large amount of backspins that they produce. moreover, if the ball seems to be predictable in such competition, then it could be more predictable for the winner as well.
i could suggest that the ball must not be too smooth inorder to generate spins according to the will of the player, another is that, the ball must be durable as well. this will help the athletes to play well by not confusing themselves whether the ball breaks easily or not. PLaying at their optimum level must be the priority of the ITTF.
well this is basing on my own perception.. this will be a new generation of playing table tennis in the 21st century

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
I believe a slower ball that bounces higher and spins less will make it easier to attack and play offense because you will not even need as fast a reset for you next shot since the ball slows down faster, the incoming spin will not effect you as much since it is harder to generate spin with the new ball, and if the bounce is consistently higher and more predictable than a celluloid ball, then offense will be easier against defensive shots and short game will be more about flipping than touch on short pushes.

I believe the new ball may end up being a total nightmare for defensive players.

I looked over the full result review when it was still available, and if I remember correctly I think it stated that the test players thought the new ball would favor defenders. I forgot how they worked that out though :p But I can imagine that it will be harder to return chops that land on the very end on the table when you can impart less spin. So maybe height and length of the shots will become more important than spin, which could actually make a nice balance since at the moment spin is everything.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2013
Having tried several sessions of the new ball - my experience is consistent with everyone else's report.

For the past 15-20 years due to the advance in TT technology - it had become a looper's game. Due to the large decrease in spin and higher bounce of the new ball I predict it will become more of a smasher's game.

As Henzell noted, side-spin loops would totally lose side spin. For me, what I found is that long loops that rely on spin to bring the ball back down - would aways go long. I have a feeling I will need to have a horizontal bat to generate enough spin to keep the ball on the table... and even then the spin would be much less than before.

I'm known to have a very spinny loop in our training hall, and when I strike the ball into the net (by mistake), it would normally continue to spin viciously for 3 or 4 seconds. Now it stops dead in the net whatever I do.

For defensive pushes, the steers very high compared to the old ball.

I'm really confused and anxious about what I will do in the future. However, a friend who a very good old-school smasher - was loving and winning everything in the club. Every defense shot we made against him was like laying up promotional display shots. I guess this is what the ITTF were after - isn't it?

By the way, we were using the 'not officially approved' Palio balls. But the behaviour sounds similar to what others have said. I don't think we should kid ourselves that the new to-be-tested DHS balls will be much closer to the current ball. Otherwise, what would be the point in introducing the changes? The ITTF have their prerogative and will full it whatever our concerns.

Cheers!

~ Not a happy (loopy) bunny.

says Aging is a killer
I looked over the full result review when it was still available, and if I remember correctly I think it stated that the test players thought the new ball would favor defenders. I forgot how they worked that out though :p But I can imagine that it will be harder to return chops that land on the very end on the table when you can impart less spin. So maybe height and length of the shots will become more important than spin, which could actually make a nice balance since at the moment spin is everything.
I think they referring to fact that the game will be slower. Anything that slows the game will favour defenders/pushers.