Pendelum Serve like Reverse Serve

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2024
Can anyone say which countermovement is suitable for the pendulum serve? Maybe through a video?

Should the countermovement for the reverse penedlum serve then be the same?

My idea is to make a countermovement immediately after the pendulum serve that looks like the reverse pendulum serve. I think a lot of professional players do it like that?

says toooooo much choice!!
says toooooo much choice!!
Jul 2020
Read 11 reviews
What do you mean with counter movement? How to return that serve? If you mean return I think easiest is to touch the left side of the ball from your perspective. I made this graphic some time ago.

I Think SilverCup77 is talking about 'fake motion' after the contact point when you serve.

You can try making a reverse pendulum motion after normal pendulum serve contact point, I find it's easier to do this compared to serving reverse pendulum and trying to add normal pendulum fake motion.
A lot of players also keep it a little simpler - for a pendulum serve, serve with side/back spin and pull the racket up, as if they were serving side/top spin. and vice versa, serve side top spin and finish low with a flat racket.

If you can keep an almost identical serve action for the different spins, in the first place, it can be tricky to see the spin, adding fake motion to an already tricky serve is the icing on the cake!!

Adding a bit of fake motion BEFORE you serve COULD also get into some players heads, so as you go towards the table to serve, you 'practice' a particular motion, lets say flat bat, snapping the wrist through as if you were serving a high back spin serve a couple of times. then you serve no spin!! if they take on board the pre serve false info, they may pop up the no spin serve!! Mind Games!!

The better the player, the less likely they are to fall for fake motion etc the real thing to do is vary serves as much as you can, so they are never returning the ball in the same way and disguise your different spins as best you can.

Reactions: SamTheMan and lodro
This user has no status.
Imo the most effective fake movements are either going back behind your body or down below the table. This is because your body and the table can hide the racket's after motion (perfectly legal, the ball is not hidden). You have no obligation to show the racket except during contact, so it is optimal to hide the racket before and after contact. The rules ban hiding of the ball, not the racket.

You are never gonna be able to disguise pendulum as a reverse pendulum serve, it is way too obvious that one is putting force into the body, the other is putting force away from the body. No good receiver is gonna fall for that regardless of how much fake movement you use.

The only thing you can do very effectively is to hide the underspin/topspin component.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
Imo the most effective fake movements are either going back behind your body or down below the table. This is because your body and the table can hide the racket's after motion (perfectly legal, the ball is not hidden). You have no obligation to show the racket except during contact, so it is optimal to hide the racket before and after contact. The rules ban hiding of the ball, not the racket.
In that vein, I wonder if we can try a pendulum serve where the left arm would hover above the ball, drop along with it, and cover up or even grab the racket as soon as the ball leaves the racket.

This user has no status.
In that vein, I wonder if we can try a pendulum serve where the left arm would hover above the ball, drop along with it, and cover up or even grab the racket as soon as the ball leaves the racket.
i think the left arm would be left too high and ppl might accuse you of hiding serve.

But tbh, it is just easier to pull the elbow backwards hard after the serve contact. This achieves the same effect and also helps maximise the spin to speed ratio. I can see pretty much all the top pros doing it now and they go much further in terms of hiding the serve by shifting the contact to their right hip (for righties)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2024

You are never gonna be able to disguise pendulum as a reverse pendulum serve, it is way too obvious that one is putting force into the body, the other is putting force away from the body. No good receiver is gonna fall for that regardless of how much fake movement you use.

The only thing you can do very effectively is to hide the underspin/topspin component.
But I think Ma Long Do it like that when I look his serve? Peneldum as a reverse pendeleum

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2020
Can anyone say which countermovement is suitable for the pendulum serve? Maybe through a video?

Should the countermovement for the reverse penedlum serve then be the same?

My idea is to make a countermovement immediately after the pendulum serve that looks like the reverse pendulum serve. I think a lot of professional players do it like that?

Yes, e.g. Wang Chuqin is a good example.

Imo, the goal is to serve different spins with the same motion (or very similar motion). It doesn't matter whether we speak about pendulum, reverse-pendulum or hook or whatever...

In case of pendulum, if you, immediately after ball contact, follow with reverse-pendulum like movement, it maybe confusing enough. And then, once this motion is automatic, you can vary a bit the time of contact (always the same motion, first pendulum, then rev-pendulum)...

And similarly for e.g. hook serve...

Btw. coming to Polička? ;-)