Penhold in Europe

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
I'm not an expert but I think it is important to learn a RPB flat counter drive. That is not a super useful stroke in matches but it will help you to learn passive and active blocking with RPB.

Dang qiu does that very well, he can switch between rpb block, rpb active block and topspin on the BH so he is not easy to beat there.

Just saw the Chinese penholder (ranked like 500) destroy korean top50 player an jaehyun

https://youtu.be/g3czWRGcbXs

Not sure if that guy has the potential to be a top guy, probably not especially since he plays forehand pips apparently but he has a very strong RPB passive game. Good rpb blocks and also RPB punches and "active blocks" where he kinda does like a mini topspin with the wrist.

I think that is an important skill for RPB players, dang qiu improved that quite a bit too. RPB is good to open up and flip over table but many seem to struggle with passive game when BH is attacked.

I think if you have a good RPB passive game that makes it harder to attack you as a penholder so you can kinda wait for a chance to attack with FH without getting too weak.

I'm not an expert of course but to me that looks like an important feature for modern penholders.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews

Just saw the Chinese penholder (ranked like 500) destroy korean top50 player an jaehyun

https://youtu.be/g3czWRGcbXs

Not sure if that guy has the potential to be a top guy, probably not especially since he plays forehand pips apparently but he has a very strong RPB passive game. Good rpb blocks and also RPB punches and "active blocks" where he kinda does like a mini topspin with the wrist.

I think that is an important skill for RPB players, dang qiu improved that quite a bit too. RPB is good to open up and flip over table but many seem to struggle with passive game when BH is attacked.

I think if you have a good RPB passive game that makes it harder to attack you as a penholder so you can kinda wait for a chance to attack with FH without getting too weak.

I'm not an expert of course but to me that looks like an important feature for modern penholders.

Yan Sheng is past his peak time. His FH pip suffers against top offenders like ML and WQC.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
Jorgic beat him up pretty badly today, I can see his game being a bit limited.

Still a good feature to have that good passive RPB game if you want to be a good penholder.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
IMG%2020221028%20215951%20jpg.jpeg

I tried out a jpen blade and really liked it but I want to play rpb so I got another sanwei m8 (which also is my primary cpen blade) for 15 bucks and cut of a piece of the handle and put on a piece of jpen cork.

Not sure if it will work but I give it a try.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
IMG%2020221028%20215951%20jpg.jpeg

I tried out a jpen blade and really liked it but I want to play rpb so I got another sanwei m8 (which also is my primary cpen blade) for 15 bucks and cut of a piece of the handle and put on a piece of jpen cork.

Not sure if it will work but I give it a try.

Well done. This is what Galaxy is doing. Their latest penhold specifically designed for RPB has a resting block for index finger.

Reactions: Dominikk85
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
SFF_lib;383644

Well done. This is what Galaxy is doing. Their latest penhold specifically designed for RPB has a resting block for index finger.

Thanks. I used some sand paper around a thick pen to sand the cork a little better fitting, now it feels really well in the hand.

I haven't played with it yet though I'm sure forehand will work fine but will be interesting whether I'm able to get the proper more open blade angle for rpb.

IMG%2020221029%20124542%20jpg.jpeg

IMG%2020221029%20124532%20jpg.jpeg

IMG%2020221029%20124457%20jpg.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: jbvttcc
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
Think the limitations of playing penhold and the lack of penhold coaches will hold it back from growing in Europe.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
Think the limitations of playing penhold and the lack of penhold coaches will hold it back from growing in Europe.

I don't think it will ever grow in Europe but I'm not sure there is a limitation if you start to exclusively learn rbp from the get go.

The saying always was rpb takes longer to make it good but maybe the issue was that xu xin and others started with tbp.

Felix lebrun had a pretty polished rpb at 14-15 and he plays exclusively rbp even on bh push.

I think a kid learning penhold should start learning flat hit, block and loop with rbp from day 1 and he will learn it very fast bc he doesn't need to worry to decide between tpb and rpb and then maybe after 2 years he can learn tpb as a variation.

That being said I think you are right about the lack of coaches in Europe making it quite unlikely it will catch on.

But with dang and felix I don't see any limitations compared to SH players, their BH is essentially the same

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2022
There's absolutely no shortage of penhold coaches anywhere in the world: the chinese diaspora is huge, there are chinese people everywhere on the planet, and specially in France and Germany, there are tons of national to pro league level classic penhold or RPB chinese players that already coach youngsters. some of those clubs in France for example include some hours of coaching duties in pros contracts, this is what Chen Tianyuan already does in La Romagne. FYI, he's married to Yuan Jianan, the chinese french women who's recently beaten Mima Ito and Wang Manyu, being coached for this occasion by... Félix's brother Alexis. The connections in the french national team are well made, and I'm quite sure Jianan has already been asked to tell her husband to come to the french national team HQ teach some things to reinforce Félix's forehand known to be his main weakness.

Also according to Nathanael Molins, Lebrun's Bros main coach, Félix is not a counter attacker, but a very offensive player using mainly very short tactics because as he said "he sees things way before his opponents, that's why he can stay close to the table without having to move that fast while still putting pressure on his opponents.". Félix's, as Qiu BH, are not using their RPB to stabilise the BH diagonal has Ma Long does, they use it as their main tool to put pressure and find ways to end the point as fast as possible, exactly as Wang Hao did. They would certainly benefit from a pure explosive FH penhold player, exactly what Chen Tianyuan is even if he has incorporated some RPB in his playing style since the last 2 years, or He Cheng Zhiwen who has already beaten Félix the past season:

Reactions: jbvttcc
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2022
As long as there are people high in the world rankings using pen, it won't die.

The same thing has happened to the one-handed backhand in tennis... most pros use the two-handed backhand, but a few still use the one-hander. Therefore, new players still learn it.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
Found that guy, polish guy (and native polish too) born in 2005 playing penhold.

Didn't stand much of a chance against Timo in that match and probably needs some technical refinement but is still young. Interesting he plays penhold without chinese parents. Does anyone know his story?

https://youtu.be/vxXZbmMNRvw

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2022
I wouldn't say that playing penhold is an advantage. And my playing style gives me a killer backhand but I don't hold.the penhold in a traditional style either.
I hold it further out on the handle and use some grip tape on the top of the handle. This makes me hold it more naturally and also gives me the option to easily push, drive or smash with alot of success.
Haven't competed in many many years but it was an advantage for me beacuse I've never encountered another penhold player during my years in competition. One played Japanese penhold but he wasent that good.
I live in Sweden so I would love to see more people pick up penhold beacuse it's so much fun to play.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2022
Play short pips on BH and rest my fingers on that part of the rubber. Works really good and played like this for soon 30 years give or take.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2022
I'm a penholder since 30 years back and I've grown to finding my own gripping style on the blade. It's nothing similar to regular cpen style.
My BH has always been my strongest shot and also I like to push further away from the table which isn't normal either.
A hand injury makes it more difficult to play cpen but after seeing this wonder child Felix lebrun I'm wery much inspired to try it out once again.
Love his own style and he has a superb BH but falls short in some areas. He needs to put more focus on his FH and also finding out other short serves from BH that dosent leave him exposed.
But I'm for sure gonna follow this youngster and I truly hope that many more will follow playing the cpen.
And hopefully evolve into a more European style of playing.