Rebulding Fundamental strokes for my game play

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Has anyone ever told you to pretend to do a salute (to the flag)?

Child-saluting-American-flag.jpg

The movement isn't the same, but it is similar. This forces you to use your forearm. Another tip is to try to get your hand to your forehead.

Don't hit your head with the paddle though.

Still trying to read through this thread. Is this is about rebuilding strokes after not playing for several years, or is it about fixing technique?

I think you know Edmund Suen. Right? Him. And Damien Provost fixed my FH about 3 years ago. Before that it was terrible. Now it is adequate and the form is acceptable. Before they helped me fix it, it was pretty bad though. Always can improve.

But, sure, I've heard the salute direction.

I like Brett Clarke's explanation of whip mechanics that NextLevel is explaining a little better though because it explains the underlying action you need. For a young kid learning, just saying "salute" would often be enough to get them to learn the whole thing. For an adult trying to unlearn a preexistent bad habit, just saying salute my not works.

But, I know all the hours I put in self hitting and on a robot really helped me isolate the forearm and start getting more whip. Still, I could use more "relax and whip!"

Sent from Deep Space by Abacus

Reactions: Siva Schopenhauer
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Brett was really good to me for a long time when I was trying to fix my forehand and was patiently answering questions that he later addressed in TTEDGE videos (some of which he made available in youtube). The advanced serving mechanics one is probably the one you can learn the most from in a short period of time even though serving is not quite like looping in degree of contact for generating spin. But Brett really went into whip mechanics and racket head speed. There are other videos on TTEDGE with bits and pieces that complete the picture but I have pretty much shared a lot of trade secrets. Does it mean that everyone who reads what I wrote will have great loops tomorrow? Of course not. The work required to build and time advanced whip mechanics is considerable. I have been trying to nail this for over a year and a half and probably some time before that as I was not a noon when I started. And whip is not the only important thing about looping.

The military salute which is a quick and whipped motion, is a good proxy. But when many people are told to salute, even good coaches sometimes focus on the form of the finish rather than the whip, which has some merit but still misses the bigger point.

I used to ask questions about all kinds of players with looping motions that did not fit the traditional model that Brett preferred. That really helped me understand better how much you can get away with if you are athletic and start young. And it made me have an expanded view of TT. If people want to know the looping motion that currently fascinates me the most, check out Emmanuel Lebesson of France. I have not seen anyone else loop like that but understanding that loop on some level taught me a lot.

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Sometimes Carl forgets to whip it Good, but heck, he gets distracted by too many of his clientele, some of whom are hotter than real models.

I my few times seeing Carl up live, he knows how to salute (salute me) (and more importantly, how to salute the hot lady(s) manning the front desk at SPiN)

Sometimes he got a remnant of hiz old habits. When he does that, he is using arm and shoulder with arm already bent, so that when he finishes, it is a salute, but the bio-mechanics were wrong.

Some people who use the BENT Arm looping style are really unconsciously trying to shorten their arm snap to make it easier to make the whip happen at a higher percentage at the sacrifice of maximum power. NL is barking up the right try with his arm mechanics, but without the help of his core to the extent he would like, the timing is damned difficult. Heck, hitting that tiny ball moving so fast and hitting it on time is a damned difficult task.

I am sure David is better suited with his young eyes and body to cope with that task better than the cabal of Over 50 yr old TT Warriors on TTD, but that is of course a natural law us 50+ jokers are never gunna change. I really wish I had gotten into this sport 35 or 40 years ago, but no turning back the clock on that.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Hey David, start charging up the camera or phone batteries, I outta be rollin up north to NYC late Sep and Early Oct for two separate TT trouble making missions... I intend to make the first mission happen at the Flushing Korean TT club on 162nd St. They know me slightly (and negatively- I ruled the B Div and got booted out as a ringer - but I was injured and coming back)

Either way, it is gunna be an all-inclusive ROLL CALL of TTD members of the East Coast to rise up, cause trouble, and have fun. The last two phrases are the same, so I shoulda deleted one of them. I make a lot of noise and have a real macho background from military and a not so tiny not so weak body that makes a little impression, but really, my idea of making trouble is to promt otherwise ignored and shy people into having some fun.

So if anyone is into some raw fun, roll to Flushing Korean TT club when I flash the Bat-Sign over Gotham City in 2 months.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Sometimes Carl forgets to whip it Good, but heck, he gets distracted by too many of his clientele, some of whom are hotter than real models.

I my few times seeing Carl up live, he knows how to salute (salute me) (and more importantly, how to salute the hot lady(s) manning the front desk at SPiN)

Sometimes he got a remnant of hiz old habits. When he does that, he is using arm and shoulder with arm already bent, so that when he finishes, it is a salute, but the bio-mechanics were wrong.

Some people who use the BENT Arm looping style are really unconsciously trying to shorten their arm snap to make it easier to make the whip happen at a higher percentage at the sacrifice of maximum power. NL is barking up the right try with his arm mechanics, but without the help of his core to the extent he would like, the timing is damned difficult. Heck, hitting that tiny ball moving so fast and hitting it on time is a damned difficult task.

I am sure David is better suited with his young eyes and body to cope with that task better than the cabal of Over 50 yr old TT Warriors on TTD, but that is of course a natural law us 50+ jokers are never gunna change. I really wish I had gotten into this sport 35 or 40 years ago, but no turning back the clock on that.

For people who don't know, DerEchte aka RamboLooper has one of the heaviest whip FH motions in the history of TTD. If you block that thing and your ball does not go into the sky, you were taking steroids. No need to test your blood, you are going to be banned on the basis of incontrovertible and irrefutable evidence.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
Hey David, start charging up the camera or phone batteries, I outta be rollin up north to NYC late Sep and Early Oct for two separate TT trouble making missions... I intend to make the first mission happen at the Flushing Korean TT club on 162nd St. They know me slightly (and negatively- I ruled the B Div and got booted out as a ringer - but I was injured and coming back)

Either way, it is gunna be an all-inclusive ROLL CALL of TTD members of the East Coast to rise up, cause trouble, and have fun. The last two phrases are the same, so I shoulda deleted one of them. I make a lot of noise and have a real macho background from military and a not so tiny not so weak body that makes a little impression, but really, my idea of making trouble is to promt otherwise ignored and shy people into having some fun.

So if anyone is into some raw fun, roll to Flushing Korean TT club when I flash the Bat-Sign over Gotham City in 2 months.

Sure, I can just walk to the Korean club.
Let me try blocking your loops when you're there.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2015
Read 3 reviews
Has anyone ever told you to pretend to do a salute (to the flag)?

Child-saluting-American-flag.jpg

The movement isn't the same, but it is similar. This forces you to use your forearm. Another tip is to try to get your hand to your forehead.

Don't hit your head with the paddle though.

Still trying to read through this thread. Is this is about rebuilding strokes after not playing for several years, or is it about fixing technique?

Actually, NL and carl shared a specific video on this topic. Well, I thought I was saluting in the last video. K, it seems not the case. I ll try somehow to get it. Just now did a national salute to you guys in helping me out :D

It started with rebuilding but it keeps stagnating on Salute and upper arm movement :D

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Well damn, now I want a Ping Pong and One Punch Man crossover. Why isn't this being funded, again?

@NextLevel

I can imagine Lebesson's stroke is very easy on the shoulder. What do you feel are the main differences technically, from "traditional" technique?

I'll answer when you have posted 5 videos of your more recent play.

Reactions: ttmonster
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
DerEchte, Brett should be in the US and coming with me to that tournament in Howard County on Sept 3. Be there or be square. I gave you fair notice.
September 3... hmm maybe you gunna hafta hound me and make me remember to register for that one. I don't want to miss the opportunity to see Brett cause big time trouble live. You gonna get sweet revenge on dude you lost to there as well.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
My FH opening loop isn't impossible to block, you just have to see where it is going, get there, and have a real soft hand. Sure, my FH loop has massive spin, but is only because I am selling out on my opener for truly a one shot win the point.

Still, if you are not prepared for it, you will block it long and endanger the eye health of anyone behind the barriers.

NL is embellishing the tale with some spice, but he is still true to the point, I spin the ball on FH heavier than humans should be allowed.

What I think he doesn't realize or told yet is that my Whip on BH is way more efficient in transferring power.

He hasn't watched the slow motion of his match video yet, but I do the FH final whip with a grip change super loose and lower that enables me to really get my wrist into the final moment in a hurry. You would think it isnt a proper grip, but I go back neutral on recovery.

Last edited:
Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
My FH opening loop isn't impossible to block, you just have to see where it is going, get there, and have a real soft hand. Sure, my FH loop has massive spin, but is only because I am selling out on my opener for truly a one shot win the point.

Still, if you are not prepared for it, you will block it long and endanger the eye health of anyone behind the barriers.

NL is embellishing the tale with some spice, but he is still true to the point, I spin the ball on FH heavier than humans should be allowed.

What I think he doesn't realize or told yet is that my Whip on BH is way more efficient in transferring power.

He hasn't watched the slow motion of his match video yet, but I do the FH final whip with a grip change super loose and lower that enables me to really get my wrist into the final moment in a hurry. You would think it isnt a proper grip, but I go back neutral on recovery.

Everyone's backhand is more efficient in transferring whip - it's a smaller stroke and needs the whip to work. Otherwise, your backhand just plain sucks. So that's besides the point.

And I guess because of my backhand, I rarely spend time looking at people's backhands. But I'm really trying to give respect to the Rambo Looper. Backhand has no Rambo built into it. Forehand has that kamikaze pivot followed by all out torque.