Repainting a table tennis table

says Master blocker
says Master blocker
Mar 2015
Read 1 reviews
In the club that I play we have two old Stiga tables that need repainting.
I am doing some research on the subject and I need help if anyone has knowledge on the subject or has done such a project.
Questions:
1. What kind of paint should i use?
By googling I found out that the proposed paint is alkyd paint or chalkboard paint. However alkyd paint is primarily of glossy finish and that would mean that the playing surface will reflect light and will be distracting when playing. On the other hand, I don't think that chalkboard paint which is matt will bounce the ball effectively
2. Are there any regulations/guidelines by ITTF about the paint that should be used?
3. Should I use primer underneath?

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
I am doing some research on the subject and I need help if anyone has knowledge on the subject or has done such a project.
Questions:
By googling I found out that the proposed paint is alkyd paint or chalkboard paint. However alkyd paint is primarily of glossy finish and that would mean that the playing surface will reflect light and will be distracting when playing. On the other hand, I don't think that chalkboard paint which is matt will bounce the ball effectively
2. Are there any regulations/guidelines by ITTF about the paint that should be used?
Check the ittf regulations. there are 6 pages about the tables

Questions:
You can forget about painting the surface for a table tennis table yourself. You will never succeed like in a factory. You should already be able to spray it in a dust-free room and I don't know if you're going to have that option.

says Master blocker
says Master blocker
Mar 2015
Read 1 reviews
You can forget about painting the surface for a table tennis table yourself. You will never succeed like in a factory. You should already be able to spray it in a dust-free room and I don't know if you're going to have that option.
Απο Αθήνα, όχι απο Κρήτη.
Yes, I know that I cannot achieve factory quality paint, but at least using airspray and not roller or brush, the outcome will be much better than it is now. The tables are really worn out and in badly need of a repair.
A repairman has given me a quote of 200€ per table for the repair, which is too expensive.

says Master blocker
says Master blocker
Mar 2015
Read 1 reviews
Check the ittf regulations. there are 6 pages about the tables
I only found this about the table in ITTF Handbook, which is not very helpful at all
Table.jpg

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
Απο Αθήνα, όχι απο Κρήτη.
Yes, I know that I cannot achieve factory quality paint, but at least using airspray and not roller or brush, the outcome will be much better than it is now. The tables are really worn out and in badly need of a repair.
A repairman has given me a quote of 200€ per table for the repair, which is too expensive.
You would be surprised what a smooth surface can be applied with a roller if the conditions are right and the correct paint is being used. It needs ideally a 2 -pot paint that has a decent long drying time , then it will nicely flow and become even. The rollers i used for this were foam rollers.
It can be done.

says Master blocker
says Master blocker
Mar 2015
Read 1 reviews
You would be surprised what a smooth surface can be applied with a roller if the conditions are right and the correct paint is being used. It needs ideally a 2 -pot paint that has a decent long drying time , then it will nicely flow and become even. The rollers i used for this were foam rollers.
It can be done.
In youtube videos about repainting, some use rollers while others use airbrush or spray-cans.
I find airbrush more comfortable to work with. But the main problem is this: What type of paint i should use? I asked in a local hardware store and they don't have a clue.... Maybe I'll check with a paint company directly.

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
In youtube videos about repainting, some use rollers while others use airbrush or spray-cans.
I find airbrush more comfortable to work with. But the main problem is this: What type of paint i should use? I asked in a local hardware store and they don't have a clue.... Maybe I'll check with a paint company directly.
Maybe we are talking about different things but to me an airbrush is a gun used to make some fine art work. For a biggish surface like a table you will need a decent size spray gun

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
I only found this about the table in ITTF Handbook, which is not very helpful at allView attachment 25260
don't waste your time on ITTF

there is a technical leftlet on tables, it only talk about glares/color shade range, to be within the limits etc.

I recall someone posting here or Mytt before.
this is maybe 10 years ago or so

my suggestion is do a search and spend a lot of time to go back in time :(

Skidding of the ball, is going to be the biggest issue.
DHS was telling me about a new fomular of paint (spray on) that they use, that what makes them the best in terms of bounce
Table from Stag are probably the skidding king