Returning to table tennis, lots of change! Did I buy the wrong blade and rubbers?

My Girlfriend has been playing for 2 years but she had never played table tennis before and I got her a Butterfly Korbel with Nittaki Fastarc G1 super thick 2mm . Really recommend this set up !! We practice 3-5 times a week and her rubbers are still have lots of life in them !!! Her game has come on so much!!! But doesn't need to upgrade her setup !!

Reactions: latej
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
My Girlfriend has been playing for 2 years but she had never played table tennis before and I got her a Butterfly Korbel with Nittaki Fastarc G1 super thick 2mm . Really recommend this set up !! We practice 3-5 times a week and her rubbers are still have lots of life in them !!! Her game has come on so much!!! But doesn't need to upgrade her setup !!
G-1 just would not die.....

I am surprises she used that set-up well. Good for her. I would have recommended C-1 to start off with. But if she is good at using G-1, good for her!!!!

G-1 just would not die.....

I am surprises she used that set-up well. Good for her. I would have recommended C-1 to start off with. But if she is good at using G-1, good for her!!!!
I agree that C1 is actually a better choice to start with, but luckily for me Dawn's set up suited her from the start as I believe G1 isn't the fastest rubber but it has enough speed and spin for most players!!!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2018
After playing today I think it is the high throw angle that is causing me issues! I am used to brushing (The Ekrips) with a big loop in a more upwards motion to get the ball over the net with spin and speed.

I let my son have a go with my bat today and I used a wood 5 ply, literally no tackiness, very low throw angle and very thin sponge rental bat which I could control and loop much better. I could use a full motion and effort. It felt much safer!

Not sure how this would work when more speed and power is coming back at me though. The backhand is much less of an issue as naturally I use a more closed bat angle!

Closing the angle on the forehand feels uncomfortable at the minute and is causing me more errors with less surface area of the bat to hit with in a more forwards motion.

As Lodro said at the start of the thread a lot of players seem to be using two different rubbers and from what I can gather the DHS hurricane rubbers and similar are popular on the forehand and have a lower throw angle than the Glayzer and similar rubbers. Which would allow more of a upwards brush loop motion keeping the ball lower over the net with more spin.

What would be the advantages to learning to use the Glayzer (apart from that I already have it)?

I thought with coming from Ekrips and that big loop style the throw angle would be the main difference - it was quite a unique rubber i remember. As always trying out other peoples bats/rubbers if you go to any club nights would be a good idea before spending more on equipment.
For your son i think its better he starts with the more modern style of hitting through the ball - but for yourself its upto you. Get some MarkV/Sriver and see if it comes back :)

I agree with the people who said its easier to recommend things by seeing some footage if possible - but as a person who hasn't posted footage themselves on this particular platform - i wouldn't want to be a hypocrite by saying you have too. I do work with a coach once a week and have postage footage to Dan and Tom on the TableTennisAcademy. But there is loads of valuable content on this forum - its just navigating through it and by trying a few things you will find out whos comments you share a common with.

Many people use a bouncier slightly faster BH rubber to help with the shorter stroke compared to a bigger stroke of your FH. I for instance use Glayzer09c on the FH and normal Glayzer on the BH. Though the Glayzer rubbers, and only really the 09c version are hybrid rubbers (with the idea being of a harder/grippy 'chinese style' topsheet and a bouncier/softer sponge) the difference to pure chinese rubbers like Hurricane is massive. By all means try it - its totally different and may suit, but equally it might be a totally different 'rabbit hole' to go down. Those rubber without training and a slightly different style will tricky to use and feel heavy. They are marmite-like youll either love them or just not get them.

The best bit though is your back playing and hopefully getting your son into the sport which is great.

Reactions: NextLevel