Rubber for Rookies

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2011
Read 4 reviews
If you want something to help improve your BH loop you should get a rubber that is not that fast, but has plenty of control and is soft to medium soft. The harder rubbers are primarily for those that like the feel or want more power in their shots. If you're worried about cost I'd recommend LKT Pro XP, Focus Snipe 3, or any rubber that has a softer rating from China. You're best bet though is to stick with a good basic rubber like Sriver, Mambo, or even your JO Coppa.

If you're having issues with the rubber tearing apart on the sides then that is poor timing/technique not a poor quality in rubber. One of the best tips I've ever gotten from a Pro is that if I'm hitting the edge of the table or chipping my rubber/blade that is not the equipment's fault it's my own fault. If however the rubber breaks when you are looping the ball then yes I can understand your concern. Many people push to hard, serve to wildly or just have poor timing and hit the edges of the table which causes the rubbers to chip away at the edges.

I know plenty of good players who would be equivalent to 2nd/3rd league in Bundesliga that say they can be OCD about their equipment and if they ding the blade or chip the rubber they need to get a new setup or they won't play to their best ability. As with many players this is probably just a superstition, but players will believe anything if it helps their mental game. I even know some players who use JO Coppa and love it so I'm not quite sure where you lie on that topic.

Let us know when you can post a video.

Reactions: agold
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2014
Read 6 reviews
First time Im hearing someone complain about the Mark V

Hmm. I never owned it. I tried someone else's for like 10 minutes. He got it from his coach without knowing anything about it. It could be years old for all I know, and his game involves mostly drives and punches, and even his serves aren't spin-oriented. Maybe the sheet was just in horrible condition.

Reactions: akonebrahim
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2014
T80FX would be for backhand. It will be good for controlled blocking. One thing you could do with your backhand which I bet t80 fx would be good for is sidespin blocks. That's a step up from blocking. H3 isn't so good for drives. Another BH suggestion is Sriver.
For FH, Look into H3, and then look at YinHe Apollo I or III (NOT II) softer sponge, slightly cheaper, probably the III is better for blocks and drives and speed, and the I will have more arc and will be better farther away from the table.

The H3 you are talking about, does it mean Hurricane 3? tnx

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2014
Read 6 reviews
What is with tenergy rubbers that most players say it's not ideal for rookies or even intermediate players?
I'm just really curious. Well, I've never played with tenergy rubbers before.

I think FX is good for everyone that plays with correct form! I have used Tenergy, but only on other people's blades. Too expensive :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014
Read 12 reviews
What is with tenergy rubbers that most players say it's not ideal for rookies or even intermediate players?
I'm just really curious. Well, I've never played with tenergy rubbers before.

From the review of TTDaily on the T80FX,I believe these rubbers are for all players.

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Honestly, whether you get $5 USD 729FX or $80ish USD Tenergy rubbers... doesn't matter in many important areas. You get a beginning equipment that will give you the possibility to grow learning the strokes you need with the possibility of control. Many pundits themselves disagree on exactly what that is, but the concept is universally supported by nearly every pundit coach: get controllable gear you can grow with that will allow you to train the basics and grow into your preferred style of play.

The rubber (or blade) will NOT improve your footwork, anticipation, stance, timing, tactics, movement, where you hit the ball, how hard your hit, how much you graze it, where on the ball you strike it, where in flight you decide to strike it, how you serve, how you integrate serves into your plan of attack, how you defend, how you maneuver opponent, how you structure your points...

You get the idea. The rubber or blade choice has nothing or very little to do with the above more important aspects of the game. Improving those greatly while using even a "crappy" bat grows you game marvelously. Still, equipment IS important, just not ALL important. You will have a hard time looping (if that is a shot you depend upon) with a T-10 decked out with Calibra LT+. Your early equipment should FACILITATE your learning along with your LEARNING and TRAINING from coaching, however you can get that done.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2014
Honestly, whether you get $5 USD 729FX or $80ish USD Tenergy rubbers... doesn't matter in many important areas. You get a beginning equipment that will give you the possibility to grow learning the strokes you need with the possibility of control. Many pundits themselves disagree on exactly what that is, but the concept is universally supported by nearly every pundit coach: get controllable gear you can grow with that will allow you to train the basics and grow into your preferred style of play.

The rubber (or blade) will NOT improve your footwork, anticipation, stance, timing, tactics, movement, where you hit the ball, how hard your hit, how much you graze it, where on the ball you strike it, where in flight you decide to strike it, how you serve, how you integrate serves into your plan of attack, how you defend, how you maneuver opponent, how you structure your points...

You get the idea. The rubber or blade choice has nothing or very little to do with the above more important aspects of the game. Improving those greatly while using even a "crappy" bat grows you game marvelously. Still, equipment IS important, just not ALL important. You will have a hard time looping (if that is a shot you depend upon) with a T-10 decked out with Calibra LT+. Your early equipment should FACILITATE your learning along with your LEARNING and TRAINING from coaching, however you can get that done.

Thanks Der_echte for sharing that concept! :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2014
Gen39 i viewed your equipment a few days ago, it was stated that you are using t80 on bh.. now its not there anymore.

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk

Yeah, I just thought other members might be confused if they see it.
It's my brother using this account for this thread. I'll bring it back after he's done. :)

Looks like you are also using Tenergy 80 on BH :)