SDC Handmade Blades

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
Someone suggested that I recreated the Waldner Senso Carbon but using Limba in the medial layer instead of Anigre, and I thought, Why not? The thing is, the WSC as a paper thin Limba outer layer, and a thin medial too, the thickness of the outer layers, plus carbon layer is only 1mm! So I decided to increase it, while keeping the core at the same thickness. It was a challenge keeping this at a reasonable weight, the composition is not as light as it sounds, and the WSC original handle is very light, but the result was good. The increase in speed is great, from a ALL+/OFF- blade to bottom OFF range, keeping most of the original feeling. JO shaped head of course...

Available FS.

- Limba / Limba / Soft-Carbon / Ayous / Soft-Carbon / Limba / Limba
- 91.0g
- 6.4mm
- 159x149mm
- FL (100x25.0mm)
- 1380Hz
- Balance: 4.1cm (High)

896-1.jpg

896-2.jpg

896-3.jpg

896-4.jpg

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
"Wow, that's a thick carbon layer!"

At first it looks like it, but it's just a black wooden layer. #885 is a relatively slow 7 ply blade, it has a thin transverse spruce core that gives some kick on harder strokes, and medium thick Spruce outer layers for that softness and spin ability. It has a mild springy feel and it should pair well with medium soft rubbers for a spin-control based game.

Available FS.

- Spruce / Ayous / Poplar / Spruce / Poplar / Ayous / Spruce
- 85.2g
- 6.2mm
- 158x152mm
- FL (102x25-23mm)
- 1120Hz
- Balance: 3.2cm (Med)

885-1.jpg

885-2.jpg

885-3.jpg

I did, as well as some other merchandising too, but thank you for the idea. At the moment that plan is on the background, my priority is finishing my workshop and then I can focus on other projects.
I am waiting eagerly for this amazing day

Reactions: hipnotic
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
For my 900th blade I just wanted to make something simple and classic looking. I had some Hinoki cores for a while, but never used them, so I decided to do it for this one. It's a stiff blade as the frequency reading suggests, but not that fast, although it has the characteristic springy nature of Hinoki.

Available FS.

- Hinoki / Glassfiber / Hinoki / Glassfiber / Hinoki
- 90.4g
- 6.75mm
- 155x148mm
- FLSQ (100x22.5mm)
- 1507Hz
- Balance: 3.7cm (High)

900-1.jpg

900-2.jpg

900-3.jpg

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
I've tried this HL5 style composition with almost every type of AC weave in my arsenal, AC-I was the only one left. Compared to regular AC-# it feels slightly stiffer, slightly softer, a little more Bh oriented.

Available FS.

- Limba / Ayous / AC-I / Ayous / AC-I / Ayous / Limba
- 88.8g
- 5.95mm
- 157x150mm
- FL (100x25-23mm)
- 1290Hz

905-1.jpg

905-2.jpg

905-3.jpg

says Hi In first i want to thank you for your interest...
says Hi In first i want to thank you for your interest...
Feb 2015
Read 6 reviews
A slow outer fiber blade, direct Koto feeling and tamed vibrations but on a lower speed class than usual.

Available FS.

- Koto / Innegra / Ayous / Kiri / Ayous / Innegra / Koto
- 87.4g
- 6.0mm
- 157x150mm
- AN (100x24.0mm)
- 1120Hz
- Balance: 2.8cm (Low)

913-1.jpg

913-2.jpg

913-3.jpg
Sorry but the handle is off.... This one looks like for giveaway 😁

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
Recently I got my hands on this beautiful "fish scale" Koto and this is the first time using it. This pattern happens when wood is cut at a certain angle and it exposes the medullary rays, which are perpendicular to the growth rigs. Not all wood species have them, and they can be hard to find even within the same species. In terms of performance it's exactly the same, so it's mostly a visual change. This particular Koto is slightly softer than the one I normally use, but that has to do mostly with the tree it was cut from, rather then the "fish scale". In terms of composition it's a relatively thin 7 ply, with progressively harder layer towards the core, so we have a Kiri core instead of the usual Ayous. This gives a crisper initial feel on low impact, but a bigger holding sensation on harder shots. A little steeper price than usual because this is going to be a unique piece (in terms of handle). I usually make this design with Padauk, it works well because the endgrain must be pointing up to achieve that particular look, and not all woods are appropriate for this. I decided to try Black Walnut for this one, and I regretted the decision almost immediately, it was a pain in the a** to get it right, so you won't be catching me doing it again 😅.

Available FS.

- Koto / Framiré / Ayous / Kiri / Ayous / Framiré / Koto
- 88.4g
- 6.35mm
- 157x150mm
- ST (100x27x23.5mm)
- 1205Hz

920-1.jpg

920-2.jpg

920-3.jpg

920-4.jpg

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
This was supposed to be a custom order, my dumb self still believes in the honesty of people, but sometimes it doesn't turn out that way. But no harm done, just used an handle design of my choice and here it is. Originally I was asked for a very soft feeling, so despite having ZLC on the Bh side and being a little more direct on that wing, it's still softer than usual. Speed-wise I would probably classify it in the bottom OFF range. The engraving on the Bh side might resemble something, I'm not sure what 😅.

Available FS.

- Koto / ALC / Ayous / Kiri / Ayous / ZLC / Koto
- 85.8g
- 5.9mm
- 157x150mm
- FL (100x25.0-22.5mm)
- 1380Hz

928-1.jpg

928-2.jpg

928-3.jpg

928-4.jpg

This was supposed to be a custom order, my dumb self still believes in the honesty of people, but sometimes it doesn't turn out that way. But no harm done, just used an handle design of my choice and here it is. Originally I was asked for a very soft feeling, so despite having ZLC on the Bh side and being a little more direct on that wing, it's still softer than usual. Speed-wise I would probably classify it in the bottom OFF range. The engraving on the Bh side might resemble something, I'm not sure what 😅.

Available FS.

- Koto / ALC / Ayous / Kiri / Ayous / ZLC / Koto
- 85.8g
- 5.9mm
- 157x150mm
- FL (100x25.0-22.5mm)
- 1380Hz

928-1.jpg

928-2.jpg

928-3.jpg

928-4.jpg
To me it’s pretty obvious the engraving is a dragon…

Cheers
L-zr

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
I usually refrain from putting heavy blades for sale here, there is general limit and most people consider anything above 90g too heavy. Well, that's because they only look at the weight of the blade, and not that little last piece of information I give which is the balance. Most commercial blades nowadays use fineline for their handles, and this is a relatively light material, so it just doesn't have the mass to counter act the weight of the head, resulting in head heavy blades. Because this material is also consistent in weight, generally speaking a heavier blade will also be more head heavy, the weight difference is on the composition itself, and not the handle. This blade could easily have 85g if I used a much lighter handle material, but in this case I chose to use Pau Ferro, which literally translates to Iron Stick. It's a very heavy wood, but the feeling in the hand is nothing like holding a regular blade, it feels like you are holding an expensive piece of furniture. For the composition I'm using Burma Teak, which feels like an harder Limba, and in general the blade feels like a step up from a Primorac for example.

Available FS.

- B. Teak / B. Teak / WRC / B. Teak / B. teak
- 99.0g
- 5.75mm
- 158x152mm
- FL (100x25-23mm)
- 1248Hz
- Balance: 1.8cm (Very Low)

929-1.jpg

929-2.jpg

929-3.jpg

This user has no status.
I usually refrain from putting heavy blades for sale here, there is general limit and most people consider anything above 90g too heavy. Well, that's because they only look at the weight of the blade, and not that little last piece of information I give which is the balance. Most commercial blades nowadays use fineline for their handles, and this is a relatively light material, so it just doesn't have the mass to counter act the weight of the head, resulting in head heavy blades. Because this material is also consistent in weight, generally speaking a heavier blade will also be more head heavy, the weight difference is on the composition itself, and not the handle. This blade could easily have 85g if I used a much lighter handle material, but in this case I chose to use Pau Ferro, which literally translates to Iron Stick. It's a very heavy wood, but the feeling in the hand is nothing like holding a regular blade, it feels like you are holding an expensive piece of furniture. For the composition I'm using Burma Teak, which feels like an harder Limba, and in general the blade feels like a step up from a Primorac for example.

Available FS.

I am still gathering different playing experiences with different materials to let the personalized concept of "the blade" (or a few more of them) grow in me, but I can say, that I won't be shy to use blades even in the weight range of 91-105g (even more, if it would be a defender blade).
I have been using a few blades with the mentioned fineline material handles, and they do not impress me, because I tend to use rather heavy rubbers for double inverted rubber play (lower balance then is definitely helpful to be less fatigued in the long run). When I get to the point where I can say in details, what I would like you to build, I will go for at least medium density wood in the handle.

That blade you just shared is marvelous.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023

Available FS.

- B. Teak / B. Teak / WRC / B. Teak / B. teak
- 99.0g
- 5.75mm
- 158x152mm
- FL (100x25-23mm)
- 1248Hz
- Balance: 1.8cm (Very Low)

929-1.jpg

929-2.jpg

929-3.jpg
This outer ply is absolutely beautiful! Kinda looks like your black limba blades, but more symmetrical.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
I've been getting a few concerned messages. Sorry, it was not my intention to worry anyone.

2023 was a very complicated year for me, a lot of work, some personal issues and health problems, so I decided to step out of social media for a while, until things returned to a more stable pace.

I'm still building blades and accepting orders, but unfortunately I don't have as much time to communicate as before, so it takes me a while to respond to everyone. I'm mostly focusing on communicating with customers whose blades I'm building at the moment.

All of this commotion as also caused many delays regarding the timelines I initially gave to customers, my sincere apologies. After many months of delay some customers are no longer interested, which is perfectly understandable, but most of them still want to proceed which makes me truly happy, thank you for trusting my work.

Well, things are starting to stabilize a bit, I still don't have the same level of productivity regarding blades, but I'm slowly picking up the pace and, hopefully, good things will come soon 🙂.