Slower rubbers to learn better technique?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014
I was actually thinking of changing rubbers. Because I read that slower rubbers will probably demands better technique = read will improve technique.

What do you think?

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G900F met Tapatalk

Reactions: duan
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2016
I think you are rigth but iam not a expert !!!!! Let see if a expert answer you

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

MDP

This user has no status.

MDP

This user has no status.
Oct 2015
Read 1 reviews
Slow and fast are relative. But I agree

But in general you could say that : slow rubber will need a full stroke to generate the same amount of speed. Fast rubbers might speed up the game to a point where you can't keep up and make you learn a wrong stroke. But sometimes this won't be the case. Just give it a try and see for yourself.

You'll lose some points because your attacks aren't as fast, but you'll win some by getting the ball on the table more.

NDH

says Spin to win!
I was actually thinking of changing rubbers. Because I read that slower rubbers will probably demands better technique = read will improve technique.

What do you think?

It would help to know what you are using now. You say "slower rubbers" - But...... slower than what? :)

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
This user has been banned.
Feb 2016
in general I'd say it's easier to play with a slow rubber like sriver or mark v than with a faster rubber like tenergy.
the error margin is greater in every shot.

but there comes a time when you realize you need more power/spin to beat your opponents.
at this point you go to tenergy or others even to the detriment of control.

it's really up to you to decide when you need more control and when you need more power.

but I definitely disagree that fast rubbers like tenergy will create incorrect stroke movement.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2013
Read 3 reviews
If you are not skilled player who train everyday you should think about allround rubbers. The most important thing is technique if your technique is not correct then you cannot use fast rubbers correctly. Slower rubbers like Acuda S3, Joola Samba etc have a lot of control. Now having control it is much easier to learn your strokes correctly. After you learn it then you can think of fast rubbers.

Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews

What do you think?

Coaching is the most important thing. Then training. If you have neither and want to topspin, get a tensor or Tenergy. Slow rubbers are only good to train topspin if you know what you are doing and want to push yourself.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2013
Read 3 reviews
Coaching is the most important thing. Then training. If you have neither and want to topspin, get a tensor or Tenergy. Slow rubbers are only good to train topspin if you know what you are doing and want to push yourself.
not true. If you are not skilled player, tenergy rubber is very hard to play and gives you very little control, especially when returning service. try to play short spinny topspin with tenergy. Slower rubbers gives you more control and are specially designed for amateurs.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
not true. If you are not skilled player, tenergy rubber is very hard to play and gives you very little control, especially when returning service. try to play short spinny topspin with tenergy. Slower rubbers gives you more control and are specially designed for amateurs.

I am an amateur. It all depends on how you use these words. I am speaking from my experience - it is easier for amateur to loop with tensor or Tenergy than with Mark V or Sriver. It is easier for them to block and push with Mark V and Sriver than with Tenergy. Read what I wrote earlier. Thanks.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2013
Read 3 reviews
I am an amateur. It all depends on how you use these words. I am speaking from my experience - it is easier for amateur to loop with tensor or Tenergy than with Mark V or Sriver. It is easier for them to block and push with Mark V and Sriver than with Tenergy. Read what I wrote earlier. Thanks.
Easier to loop ok, but table tennis is not only looping game, especially when someone is not professional player. More often you are going to serve, return the serve, push, block and of course loop. Considering many aspects of the game slower rubber is easier to play with. Faster rubber is more sensitive to incoming spin and harder to control the ball with short strokes and serves.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Easier to loop ok, but table tennis is not only looping game, especially when someone is not professional player. More often you are going to serve, return the serve, push, block and of course loop. Considering many aspects of the game slower rubber is easier to play with. Faster rubber is more sensitive to incoming spin and harder to control the ball with short strokes and serves.

Yes, and my answer only focused on loop. So you are addressing someone else. Find that person so he knows how smart you are. I would be surprised if anyone said that slower rubber improves your pushing or blocking technique.

In the end, with good coaching, all these things make little difference. Technique is coaching. Technique is not rubber.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014
Most people in the club agrees that I've got a good forehand. But inspite of that I find myself most of the time defending in matches. So I think I miss some basic understanding and technique to develop an attacking game.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Most people in the club agrees that I've got a good forehand. But inspite of that I find myself most of the time defending in matches. So I think I miss some basic understanding and technique to develop an attacking game.

IT's always best to get coaching from the people who see you most often if everyone coaching is equally qualified. The only way to get proper feedback online is to share video. Otherwise, people are shooting in the wind.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014
That's true. It's hard to advise by only imagin how a person would play.

This user has no status.
Without a video I cannot give you any advice. It is right that for a beginner it is easier to play with slower rubbers and blade but if you are already playing on a decent level I don't think it would really help to switch from fast to slow gear unless your current racket is not way too fast.

So, what is your current setup (blade / rubbers) and what is your playing level approximately? Are you able to provide video material?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Best would be to post a video of your play. Off the cuff without having any knowledge, when you are serving you should focus on the third ball. If you are not attacking the third ball if its long you will end up defending. Similarly, when you are returning serve, you should always focus on whether the ball is long , instead of treating all balls as short balls and returning defensively, you should try to open with a loop on either wing if the ball is long, it does not have to be an attacking loop, it could be a spinny loop but it should be a topspin . When the serve is short , you should focus on placement of your push or soft flip so that you can attack the 5th ball.

This user has no status.
From personal experience I found that going from slower rubbers such as Mark V, Rakza 7 soft, Xiom Europe to fast
rubbers such as Rakza 9,X, Xiom V Pro, Tenergy etc etc that it was extremely difficult to keep my forehand on the table.
The extra catapult is very noticeable and can lead to a lot of errors.

If you force yourself to learn the fast rubbers by changing your technique, you'll find that you'll need fast
bat speed and a lighter brush to keep the ball on the table. To get the faster bat speed you'll need better
use of your legs, torso, arm and you'll need better timing to get the thin brush.

The benefits of this though is much more spin
and speed on your shots.

In that sense, it takes better technique to use fast rubbers consistently.

I'm not sure where slow rubbers need better technique comes from.

What do you think?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
I don't think slower rubber necessarily improves stroke technique, it would actually induce an older stroke technique that was prevalent when we did not have tensors when larger strokes were natural. However, it could improve ball judgement in the sense that you would be able to keep more balls on the table and playing more balls in the rally or game improves ball judgement automatically.

Reactions: NextLevel and Shuki