Slower rubbers to learn better technique?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2015
Guys, I have a headache.

There is this really hot woman I hit with every so often. She's a recreational player. But she's smoking hot.

Why am I telling you this? Well, no reason.....

Sent from Deep Space by Abacus

OK, I know it's a joke, but: you do need to post a video for us to provide you with a useful advice on your 'game' :D

Now, back to the original thread - I think it was about slow rubbers...

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Read 13 reviews
Later, after you master getting up to the ball with a loose wrist, you can do a touch/feel soft counter, this is a good effective shot, then later, with more firm grip pressure to make a faster counter BH topspin.

I'm working on the latter part at the moment. All my strokes have such light pressure, this is partly why my game is so slow but I have good touch. My coach saw me struggling with penholders last night and told me on my blocks to hold the Raquet tighter as the looseness of my grip often made their dead balls go into the net even though they had decent pace

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
OK, I know it's a joke, but: you do need to post a video for us to provide you with a useful advice on your 'game' :D

Now you're talkin'! Hahaha.

By the way, just for clarification on the subject, the one in the photo is just someone I'd like to hit...I mean....urm, hit with. The one I was referring to in the first post, I'm not gonna post her photo because, well, she's an actress and she might not appreciate that. But she's about as hot as the one in the photo. Just, not quite as famous. [emoji2]

I'm glad the a few silly jokes were able to restore order. And divert the hijacking to more productive hijacking.

Because Der_Echte has a new and improved story about the goon squad and the secret hideout that was about to get posted. And, frankly, I was a bit scared of trade secrets being revealed.

Reactions: ttmonster
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I'm working on the latter part at the moment. All my strokes have such light pressure, this is partly why my game is so slow but I have good touch. My coach saw me struggling with penholders last night and told me on my blocks to hold the Raquet tighter as the looseness of my grip often made their dead balls go into the net even though they had decent pace
Dead balls is a bit different. That is more like a chop block.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014
It's been 6 weeks that i'm playing with a new setup. Dhs h3 on the forehand and Dhs 2 on the backhand. Both boosted with falco long booster, otherwise the H3 and H2 will be to slow to play ( compared with were I came from: Tenergy rubbers). Although both rubbers are boosted. It's still plays a lot different.

I really like the H3. It offers a lot of variety spin ability. Short game is really short, which was a bit challenging with Tenergy. Because the rubbers are slower you need to put more effort to get some speed in the ball. You actually need to learn a technique that is different than using Tenergy. I know that's generally known that using H3 need another approach in strokes and footwork. I'm approaching the game in another perspective than before. I think I wouldn't realise this if sticked on using Tenergy forever.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G900F met Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015
Read 3 reviews
It's been 6 weeks that i'm playing with a new setup. Dhs h3 on the forehand and Dhs 2 on the backhand. Both boosted with falco long booster, otherwise the H3 and H2 will be to slow to play ( compared with were I came from: Tenergy rubbers). Although both rubbers are boosted. It's still plays a lot different.

I really like the H3. It offers a lot of variety spin ability. Short game is really short, which was a bit challenging with Tenergy. Because the rubbers are slower you need to put more effort to get some speed in the ball. You actually need to learn a technique that is different than using Tenergy. I know that's generally known that using H3 need another approach in strokes and footwork. I'm approaching the game in another perspective than before. I think I wouldn't realise this if sticked on using Tenergy forever.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G900F met Tapatalk

I just recently switched from a H3Neo to Rakza X. And the different possibilities for technique are obvious. Playing the H3n i liked to do a big swing with an almost straigth arm.
With the Rakza X i used a more timo boll like stroke, a shorter chickenwing like stroke wich generates power from the hip turn and wrist.
The different technique just came natural by hitting some balls. However id like to mix both techniques together. meaning keeping a bit of the chickenwing to better transfer the momentum generated from the hip turn and opening the arm angle a little and then closing it with the under arm on contact to get maximum bat speed.

So i think its good to test out different rubbers and then settle somewhere in between.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Read 13 reviews
I couldn't recommend h3 players trying to learn, it's slower but it's harder than rocks.

What helps improvement the most is the feeling you get when making good contact. Hurricane rubbers numb all the good feedback your black is trying to give you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
This is completely wrong Shuki , hurricane rubbers do not numb all the good feedback . I have personally switched from Tenergy 05 to Hurricane 8 and it does give a lot of good feedback and helped me improve my forehand and spin understanding a lot. Again , Hurricane 3 needs to be boosted but then your blanket statement is not correct in any whichever way

Reactions: Shuki
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Read 13 reviews
Rewording in a quick manner that the other similar threads have been successful with.

An all wood blade is great for learning because of the vibration. The vibration gives you direct feedback to whether or not you're doing a stroke correctly.

You'll be rewarded with a good feeling when you perform stroke and go through the ball correctly, while being punished with a bad feeling if you didn't go through it very well. Even if you get the ball on the table and keep it low, you'll be punished for not treating the ball correctly. Using positive and negative reinforcement to teach te player.

The harder the sponge of the rubber, the less feeling you'll get from a blade, it's like trying to numb the vibration that would punish you.

Even just using a thinner sponge will help you more in the long run, if you feel that your skill is good enough with its form and footwork go ahead and thicken your sponge or use a harder rubber, but judging from your difficulty to play the short game with tenergy, I doubt you're at that level.

Finally, vibration does one more great thing for learning players. If a player like NextLevel were to loop at you with a golfball of spin, you'd close your racket anticipating the heavy spin and try to go through the ball. But alas, you misjudged exactly how much you needed to close against this crazy amount of topspin. Rather than guess and checking the vibration will tell you exactly how to do your stroke differently. That's what makes a blade great, once you and your blade are one, you understand everything it tries to tell you.

So what should you do? Play a soft rubber and don't change your equipment much. You'll get used to the setup and you'll tell yourself that you can deal with more speed, but more speed is just making the long run more difficult.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Read 13 reviews
This is completely wrong Shuki , hurricane rubbers do not numb all the good feedback . I have personally switched from Tenergy 05 to Hurricane 8 and it does give a lot of good feedback and helped me improve my forehand and spin understanding a lot. Again , Hurricane 3 needs to be boosted but then your blanket statement is not correct in any whichever way

boosted hurricane is a different story, but then I would say I can't recommend a player trying to learn technique boosting their rubber all the time. It just makes the learning process harder if every 2 weeks or so your rubber is playing completely differently. Boosted hurricane is quite a bit softer. Tenergy isn't a good feedback rubber either, it's just a piece of magic, neither of these rubber's are really good for learning. Both are good rubbers and you can learn with them, but other rubbers are less numbing to use.

All rubber numb the blades vibrations to an extent, it's just how much.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Yes, the point is since this is an online forum where people don't have personal contact its always good to explain things a little more so that they don't have misconception and start treating tenergy or hurricane as if they are radioactive :) . I like your next post very much by the way . My preferred way is to let the player build the basic technique first , then try to play around with different setups and talk to their coaches to find the best possible combination. Blanket statements are very dangerous, you could pair harder rubbers with wood blades and still get feeling ... anyways ... left for another time

boosted hurricane is a different story, but then I would say I can't recommend a player trying to learn technique boosting their rubber all the time. It just makes the learning process harder if every 2 weeks or so your rubber is playing completely differently. Boosted hurricane is quite a bit softer. Tenergy isn't a good feedback rubber either, it's just a piece of magic, neither of these rubber's are really good for learning. Both are good rubbers and you can learn with them, but other rubbers are less numbing to use.

All rubber numb the blades vibrations to an extent, it's just how much.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Read 13 reviews
Yes, the point is since this is an online forum where people don't have personal contact its always good to explain things a little more so that they don't have misconception and start treating tenergy or hurricane as if they are radioactive :) . I like your next post very much by the way . My preferred way is to let the player build the basic technique first , then try to play around with different setups and talk to their coaches to find the best possible combination. Blanket statements are very dangerous, you could pair harder rubbers with wood blades and still get feeling ... anyways ... left for another time

Yea.... Sorry about that first one for sure, glad you argued with it. when I type on my phone sometimes I do short responses that can be taken in a variety of ways. Then I realize this and have to correct what I mean and it's a pain on my thumbs. Had to move to my laptop because I've been a bit more active lately and responding quite a bit more.

Personally I like NL's way of picking his most recent rubber, asking players who your strokes were most similar to at the club and then trying that person's equipment.