Softer rubber or hurricane?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2022
Hello!

Some information, I am a good young intermediate player that is purely offensive. My strengths are my first attack, serve, flip and good sportsman ship. My coach said i have a lot of "feeling" and should that my current equipment is too fast for me.
Equipment using:
Blade: Sanwei Fextra 7 (7ply wood)
Fh: Nittaku Hammond z2
Bh: Joola rhyzm (i love this rubber)

Overall i do feel this Forehand rubber is too fast and bouncy.
So now the question is: Do i go for something like a hybrid/ Chinese style rubber or softer rubber? I do have a preference for slightly harder rubbers like 47.5/53 range.

I'd love to know your thoughts about this!

good young intermediate player
With this set of skills you can just try out Hurricane 3 and see whether you like it or not. It's experience that matters, not theory. May be you'll like it, may be not.

Me personally, I know for sure that I make more mistakes with H3, but I can also execute some very cool and powerful shots of which I am proud of and it gives me awesome feeling. After all, I am playing for fun.

If you're aiming to be professional, just listen to what coach says. Even if his/her words are not very true, you certainly can *and will* master whatever equipment he/she proposes.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2022
Unless you try a different style of rubber, you won't know whether it's suited for you. Like @mihalichtheone says, there's no conversational substitute for actually playing it.

For me, I instantly knew I liked harder Chinese/hybrid rubber on my FH the moment I decided to try it. I played Fastarc tensor rubber for a few months before trying Yinhe Mercury 2. I liked how I didn't have to hold back on my hits for fear of the ball flying off the racket. The medium is around 37d hardness on DHS scale, significantly harder than Fastarc. Then I tried Loki Rxton V a couple months later which is a 41d sponge and liked it even more. My coach confirmed I was getting more spin and better ball quality.

If you are part of a club be the guy that wants to try out everyone's setup. It's a much cheaper way of finding out what you like without spending money on a new rubber. If you can't, well Chinese rubber is dirt cheap (Mercury 2 costed me $5 and Rxton V costed me $8) so you don't really lose out on much for trying. "Trying out" Hammond Z2 by buying a sheet is a lot more costly.

How about keeping Your setup and buying a slower 5 ply all wood blade. Hammond Z2 is not extremely fast so use the same rubber on this blade. Then when you feel you ready for it switch back to your old setup and upgrade your slower blade with something even faster.

Cheers
L-zr

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2022
Unless you try a different style of rubber, you won't know whether it's suited for you. Like @mihalichtheone says, there's no conversational substitute for actually playing it.

For me, I instantly knew I liked harder Chinese/hybrid rubber on my FH the moment I decided to try it. I played Fastarc tensor rubber for a few months before trying Yinhe Mercury 2. I liked how I didn't have to hold back on my hits for fear of the ball flying off the racket. The medium is around 37d hardness on DHS scale, significantly harder than Fastarc. Then I tried Loki Rxton V a couple months later which is a 41d sponge and liked it even more. My coach confirmed I was getting more spin and better ball quality.

If you are part of a club be the guy that wants to try out everyone's setup. It's a much cheaper way of finding out what you like without spending money on a new rubber. If you can't, well Chinese rubber is dirt cheap (Mercury 2 costed me $5 and Rxton V costed me $8) so you don't really lose out on much for trying. "Trying out" Hammond Z2 by buying a sheet is a lot more costly.
Should i try 39 degree hurricane? I played with Mercury 2 medium. The grip is nice and the spin in serves are good, It was too soft feeling for me tho.
I never tried Rxton V, would you recommend it over H3 neo?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2022
What is the hardness of the sponge of the Jupiter 3 you ordered? In any case, Jupiter 3 is a great choice, I think you will play it in forehand.
37 degree for Juliper 3, i'll use it on my backhand. 39 hardness for Hurricane 3 neo. After my testing i'll see if Jupiter 3 is also good for Forehand :) I never tried it so i'll try it out

Reactions: Choosikick
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 3 reviews
37 degree for Juliper 3, i'll use it on my backhand. 39 hardness for Hurricane 3 neo. After my testing i'll see if Jupiter 3 is also good for Forehand :) I never tried it so i'll try it out
Yes this could be good for you, and not too bouncy. Never tried Jupiter III Asia for backhand so please come back with a review. Now you have bought rubbers that will make you work hard :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2023
Yes this could be good for you, and not too bouncy. Never tried Jupiter III Asia for backhand so please come back with a review. Now you have bought rubbers that will make you work hard :)
I played Jupiter 3 with 39 hardness on the booster on both sides at the same time. After the tired Xiom Vega Pro, it was very grippy, the speed was lower, while the control and rotation were higher. At first, I was just delighted, but after a week of playing, I realized that I still lacked a catapult, and also the extra high grip of Jupiter complicates passive play on the reception and blocking on the backhand, especially when I'm tired.

Reactions: mocker88
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2022
Yes this could be good for you, and not too bouncy. Never tried Jupiter III Asia for backhand so please come back with a review.
i'll come back after a month or so! :) I wonder if it is good, i mean €15 isn't a lot for a rubber! Need some practice to adapt to sticky rubbers. Should i put it on viscaria or my spare Fextra 7? :)

Reactions: JeffM and mocker88
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2022
I played Jupiter 3 with 39 hardness on the booster on both sides at the same time. After the tired Xiom Vega Pro, it was very grippy, the speed was lower, while the control and rotation were higher. At first, I was just delighted, but after a week of playing, I realized that I still lacked a catapult, and also the extra high grip of Jupiter complicates passive play on the reception and blocking on the backhand, especially when I'm tired.
What blade did you put Jupiter 3 on? i mean i did buy 37 Asia version so it'll be more bouncy and softer i think

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 3 reviews
i'll come back after a month or so! :) I wonder if it is good, i mean €15 isn't a lot for a rubber! Need some practice to adapt to sticky rubbers. Should i put it on viscaria or my spare Fextra 7? :)
If you like both blades, I think you'll have to try it on both :)