Thoughts on Hurricane Hao II Setup?

This user has no status.
Hello, I'm a new member to the site. I had played table tennis in middle school for two years and is returning as a (semi-)casual in college.

I mostly score through forehand flicks and forehand/backhand loops. I usually create opportunities for forehand flicks through hook and shovel serves, and start looping on both sides as soon as the ball bounces out of the table. I can't loop if the ball is landing too close to the table, nor are my loops very topspin-heavy (mediocre at best).

My previous rubbers are Stiga DNA Pro M (FH) + Andro Hexer Plus (BH), but I have swapped the rubbers out as they've aged and lost their elasticity. This is my current setup recommended by a local storeowner:
  • Blade: Hurricane Hao II Off++ (blade already owned)
  • FH: Nittaku Fastarc G-1
  • BH: Donic Acuda S2
My FH is 47.5 and BH is 42.5 degrees (I believe).

How well does my current setup fit my playing style; in addition, can it still be competitive, and are there specific areas that my new rubbers are disadvantaged in?

Thanks in advance.

says Gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci...
Jul 2014
I think the new combo is just fine, but why not just get the same rubbers? I don't think you will necessarily gain or lose much from changing to the new combo, they are all in a pretty similar wheelhouse.

Reactions: crimsonpython24
This user has no status.
I think the new combo is just fine, but why not just get the same rubbers?
I previously played at another place and my new location doesn't have the same rubbers; also, Andro Hexer Plus' edge peeled off pretty bad even with light/medium use, so I don't really want to get back to one of those.
I don't think you will necessarily gain or lose much from changing to the new combo
Thanks for the reply, I just would like to confirm that the new rubber still fits my current playstyle (forehand flicks, both side loop with a somewhat flat arc from away the table).

This user has no status.
Rubbers are good, but an off++ blade is too fast.
I have no idea why, but that's what my previous coach recommended... it took me a hard time deciding which rubbers to get for my new setup, and I came here to seek advice on whether or not I've got the right blade and rubber combination.

Most likely, as I play more, I'll switch to a slower blade; but for now, I'd like to utilize what I currently have without spending too much on the re-entry into the sport.

Jul 2014
Rubbers are good, but an off++ blade is too fast. You could benefit from getting an all+ to off blade.

Cheers
L-zr
Off++ is just DHS' factory rating, HHao 2/655 is just a 5 ply wood after all, certainly nowhere near off+ rating and
more like low off to high off-.

I previously played at another place and my new location doesn't have the same rubbers; also, Andro Hexer Plus' edge peeled off pretty bad even with light/medium use, so I don't really want to get back to one of those.

Thanks for the reply, I just would like to confirm that the new rubber still fits my current playstyle (forehand flicks, both side loop with a somewhat flat arc from away the table).
You should do fine, S2 might be a hair less grippy than the H+ but its been a while since I tried those. I have not tried DNA M for very long but in my experience it was a bit easier to activate than G1 although a tad less deadly in the high end, G1 is a good rubber allaround and durable too tho it can be a tad bit tough feeling on lesser impact.

Off++ is just DHS' factory rating, HHao 2/655 is just a 5 ply wood after all, certainly nowhere near off+ rating and
more like low off to high off-.

You should do fine, S2 might be a hair less grippy than the H+ but its been a while since I tried those. I have not tried DNA M for very long but in my experience it was a bit easier to activate than G1 although a tad less deadly in the high end, G1 is a good rubber allaround and durable too tho it can be a tad bit tough feeling on lesser impact.
Sure but a 5 ply allwood blade can be super fast. It depends on the design.

Cheers
L-zr

I feel like an OFF++ blade is not that bad if he is a mainly offensive looper/ opens on the table whenever he gets the chance
Its always best to use a slower blade, and generate the power first yourself, without relying on the power of the blade or rubbers tho
We’ll according to his own description it sounds like he wants to dig in harder…

Cheers
L-zr

This user has no status.
S2 might be a hair less grippy than the H+ but its been a while since I tried those. I have not tried DNA M for very long but in my experience it was a bit easier to activate than G1
I really am just looking for rubbers that allow me to loop comfortably from away the table, and possibly enough speed to do forehand flicks/blocks as well. These two methods have been my primary way of scoring and transitioning from defense into offense.

I have been struggling with and working on backhand slices (namely, identifying opponents' serve spins and making quality returns), so a more controllable backhand will also be nice. Not sure if my two rubber selections check this list.
5 ply allwood blade can be super fast
I have played around with my (more skilled) brother's Viscaria FL but I prefer a more head-heavy blade like Hurricane Hao II... I think it has to do with me liking more powerful strokes, but I'm not sure if there are any alternative explanations.
generate the power first yourself, without relying on the power of the blade or rubbers tho
I have asked this question to the said storeowner, and he recommended me to not use Butterfly yet as their rubbers do some heavy-lifting for the user instead of the user themselves. As I mainly score through offensive loops (and is working on loops closer to the table), I'd really like to get a standard stroke before switching to more advanced rubbers.

So I'm asking here to see if my new rubbers fit this purpose of helping me develop a more complete loop stroke. As a side note, I played in Taiwan during middle school, so I guess my technique is more Chinese than European.
dig in harder
Can you please explain what this means?

You said your loops lacks power, this most likely means you need to hit harder. But if you do right now you probably hit long… A less powerful setup will help you to correct this until you no longer need it.

Cheers
L-zr

This user has no status.
A less powerful setup will help you to correct this
I'm really just looking for confirmation on whether my current setup fits my playing style and training goals, which, summarized:

Primary scoring methods:
  • Using away-from-the-table loops (both FH and BH)
  • Transitioning from defense into offense through FH flicks and blocks
Training goals:
  • Improving BH slices' stability (plus identifying opponents' serve spins)
  • Being able to loop closer to the table
  • More powerful loops, especially backhand
Does my current setup fit my style and training areas, and are they more adequate than my previous setup (DNA Pro M FH, Andro Hexer Plus BH)?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2023
Hello, I'm a new member to the site. I had played table tennis in middle school for two years and is returning as a (semi-)casual in college.

I mostly score through forehand flicks and forehand/backhand loops. I usually create opportunities for forehand flicks through hook and shovel serves, and start looping on both sides as soon as the ball bounces out of the table. I can't loop if the ball is landing too close to the table, nor are my loops very topspin-heavy (mediocre at best).

My previous rubbers are Stiga DNA Pro M (FH) + Andro Hexer Plus (BH), but I have swapped the rubbers out as they've aged and lost their elasticity. This is my current setup recommended by a local storeowner:
  • Blade: Hurricane Hao II Off++ (blade already owned)
  • FH: Nittaku Fastarc G-1
  • BH: Donic Acuda S2
My FH is 47.5 and BH is 42.5 degrees (I believe).

How well does my current setup fit my playing style; in addition, can it still be competitive, and are there specific areas that my new rubbers are disadvantaged in?

Thanks in advance.
are you a penholder? (because the hurricane hao tipped me off)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2023
I really am just looking for rubbers that allow me to loop comfortably from away the table, and possibly enough speed to do forehand flicks/blocks as well. These two methods have been my primary way of scoring and transitioning from defense into offense.

I have been struggling with and working on backhand slices (namely, identifying opponents' serve spins and making quality returns), so a more controllable backhand will also be nice. Not sure if my two rubber selections check this list.

I have played around with my (more skilled) brother's Viscaria FL but I prefer a more head-heavy blade like Hurricane Hao II... I think it has to do with me liking more powerful strokes, but I'm not sure if there are any alternative explanations.

I have asked this question to the said storeowner, and he recommended me to not use Butterfly yet as their rubbers do some heavy-lifting for the user instead of the user themselves. As I mainly score through offensive loops (and is working on loops closer to the table), I'd really like to get a standard stroke before switching to more advanced rubbers.

So I'm asking here to see if my new rubbers fit this purpose of helping me develop a more complete loop stroke. As a side note, I played in Taiwan during middle school, so I guess my technique is more Chinese than European.

Can you please explain what this means?
than you might be familiar with the common taiwanese rubber setup: boll alc/ viscaria+Hurricane 3 fh and Fastarc g1 bh. Why not try that? or you could try a 5 ply maybe stiga legend?

This user has no status.
are you a penholder
I do shakehand, but I still use Hurricane Hao II because (1) that's what my previous coach recommended as an entry-level rig and (2) I like how it's more head-heavy than paddles like Viscaria FL. Either way, I feel like I'm still getting the hang of table tennis after some four years of not playing, so I don't want to rush buying new equipment yet; I only switched out the rubbers because they've aged, and one's edge peeled off pretty bad.
Hurricane 3 fh and Fastarc g1
I don't think my loop strokes (both forehand and backhand) are complete enough to handle those two rubbers, or at least that's according to both my previous coach and the storeowner that I bought my new rubbers from. I'm still working on making my slices and loops more stable (which they are not), so I don't think I'll be getting Chinese or high-end Butterfly rubbers anytime soon.

I'm now only trying to verify that my current setup (Hao II + Fastarc G-1 FH + Acuda S2 BH) (1) fits my current playing style, (2) has parts that work together well, and (3) will provide enough control during my training sessions, but I'll keep what you've said in mind in case I'm looking for an upgrade later.