TImo Boll knocked out in round 2 of the Japan Open 2012!

World number 6 and European number 1 Timo Boll has just been knocked out of the Japan Open World Tour on the 8th June 2012 to Korea's Jung Young Sik in seven close sets with scores 11-9, 10-12, 6-11, 11-3, 15-17, 11-9, 7-11.

Timo Boll a seed for the London 2012 Olympics entered his first ITTF World Tour and faced a strong Korean and narrowly lost.

bolljapanopen2012rd2.jpg

Timo Boll - photo by: spox.com

Jung Young Sik with a world ranking of 120 has produced a sensational win and a career win he will never forget defeating former world number 1 Timo Boll! More details will follow shortly.

Kim Taek Soo and Jung Young Sik comment on the match thanks to the ittf.com

“He was a little afraid before he played Timo Boll today”, said Kim Taek Soo who had side courtside in the role of coach. “I told him not to worry, just go out there and play; I told him it didn’t matter whether he won or lost.”

Relaxed Player
Certainly, the advice given by Kim Taek Soo paid dividends; it was a relaxed Jung Young Sik in action.

“In the match, Jung Young Sik was able to read the reverse services of Timo Boll and he was able to become involved in the rallies”, added Kim Taek Soo. “The problem playing Timo Boll, and I’ve experienced the problem, is that there is such a lot of spin on his first three attacks; if you can counter topspin those attacks then you have a chance.”

Jung Young Sik was able to counter top spin; not only counter top spin but counter top spin with aggression.

First Win Over Top Ten Player
“I played Timo in 2010 at the Polish Open and lost four-one”, said Jung Young Sik. “Today when it came to the seventh game, it was my third seventh game of the day I felt relaxed; it’s the first time I’ve beaten a top ten ranked player.”

We hope to have a video shortly of the match. Below is Timo Boll in round 1 where he faced Burov Viacheslav.

To catch up on all the very latest from the Japan Open click here

What are your thoughts? Will Timo Boll be ready for London 2012?

Like and tweet our articles to the World Lets spread the word of Table Tennis.

TableTennisDaily