Timo Boll Spirit

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
I think TBS, or any carbon blade and glue effect rubbers should only be used when you reached a level where you have a good technique, but lack power to beat the opponents you get to face. It is not good to start with this type of equipment. I know a player in the 2nd divison in the Netherlands who plays with 1.5mm rubbers, no glue effect. He can just block anything and spin any ball. With good placement you can win enough matches that way. Really you should only step to carbon blades and glue effect rubbers when you feel you don't produce enough speed with the effort you put in a shot. Control always gets harder with faster equipment, because you have less time to give the ball the direction and spin you want.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2011
Hello everybody,

I am new to the forum and wanted your suggestion about a blade.
I have been mainly playing with Butterfly's Sardius for more than 10 years.
I have been using mainly Yasaka Mark V with it. I generally play near the table (third ball attack)
and love to loop and use side spin on my topspin and services.
Unfortunately, then I decided I was ready for Schlager Carbon with
Tenergy 64 (FH) and Tenergy 05 FX. I spent almost 300$ to get the equipment.
It was really a dumb move from my part to buy it without consulting anybody.
I found Schlager Carbon not relating to my style of play due to its
lack of spin, stiffness, and uncontrollable speed. I have a lot of difficultly
on achieving good spin in my loop. The blade just don't seem to feel right.
So, I wanted to get a blade that allows me to achieve fast
spinny loops with the same rubber combination (TENERGY 64, TENERGY 05FX).
I was thinking about getting a timo boll spirit as the reviews said it has a good
balance of power, spin, and control (not stiff like schlager carbon). I wanted
you guy's take on it. It is not the case that I have to get Timo boll spirit. Please
feel free to recommend any other blades. However, I would prefer it to be
Butterfly and also some kind of carbon.

I am sorry for writing such a long message. Please feel free to let me know whether
you want any more details.

Appreciate your help.

Best,
Omar

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2011
Read 1 reviews
Hello everybody,

I have been using mainly Yasaka Mark V with it. I generally play near the table (third ball attack)
I was thinking about getting a timo boll spirit as the reviews said it has a good
you guy's take on it. It is not the case that I have to get Timo boll spirit. Please

I am sorry for writing such a long message. Please feel free to let me know whether

Appreciate your help.

Best,
Omar

First, I dont think its a bad thing to post a long message here.. No worry mate :)
Second, I found that Sardius and Schlager blade has quite the same characteristic (Hard, stiff and speedy blade with limited control)

So I think the problem is the rubber.. Yasaka Mark V is a classic balanced rubber which you could safely loop with. Its a rubber that has passed the trial of time (Been around since early 80's if I'm not mistaken)..
In the other hand, Tenergy series is quite the new age rubber with completely different feeling (they are tensioned and manufactured in a different way)
Not to mention Schlager Carbon is a Carbon blade which adds up the speed, limits the control and damper your feeling of the ball..

And last, I think you shouldn't buy the rubber at MAX thickness assuming that you bought it at max..
Oh, and actually this is a bit strange but if you have the correct technique with the Mark Vs (10 year experience) I think a new setup won't a problem for you. You just need to adapt with the different speed and throw angle (more closed bat compared to Mark V)..
Feel free to make a new thread if you need help next time :D

I am a chopper, so I dont have much experience with Off blades but thats what I know.
Good luck and God bless your search.

Yosua

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2011
First, I dont think its a bad thing to post a long message here.. No worry mate :)
Second, I found that Sardius and Schlager blade has quite the same characteristic (Hard, stiff and speedy blade with limited control)

So I think the problem is the rubber.. Yasaka Mark V is a classic balanced rubber which you could safely loop with. Its a rubber that has passed the trial of time (Been around since early 80's if I'm not mistaken)..
In the other hand, Tenergy series is quite the new age rubber with completely different feeling (they are tensioned and manufactured in a different way)
Not to mention Schlager Carbon is a Carbon blade which adds up the speed, limits the control and damper your feeling of the ball..

And last, I think you shouldn't buy the rubber at MAX thickness assuming that you bought it at max..
Oh, and actually this is a bit strange but if you have the correct technique with the Mark Vs (10 year experience) I think a new setup won't a problem for you. You just need to adapt with the different speed and throw angle (more closed bat compared to Mark V)..
Feel free to make a new thread if you need help next time :D

I am a chopper, so I dont have much experience with Off blades but thats what I know.
Good luck and God bless your search.

Yosua

Thank you Yosua for your feedback. When I was buying the Schlager Carbon, the thinking behind was its
similarity to Sardius as you have mentioned. However, I wanted to try the new Tenergy
series rubbers with it. I am playing with Tenergy 05 FX in my Sardius. I like the added power.
My old sardius some how fell from my hand and broke the handle.
So, for trying I am thinking about a blade that has a higher throw angle, easy to make a spinny
loop and has significant control. I have been practicing with Schlager carbon for a while
but I can not tame it. This has too much uncontrollable power with very low throw angle for me.

Could you guys recommend me a blade that has a longer dwell time, makes spinny loops,
has a higher throw angle, and has significant control without being too slow. Does TBS fall
into this characteristics.

Appreciate the help.

Best,
Omar

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀
Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
Hello everybody,

Appreciate your help.

Best,
Omar

Hey Omar :)

Firstly, a huge welcome to the forum, I hope your tt is going well.

I am sorry you spent a lot of money on something you didnt like. I know the feeling, very annoying.

If i was you, i would try to test the blade yourself.. I don't want to say, hey buy the boll spirit because i use it and its great. But one may like it and the other may not. I lent a boll spirit of my friend and had a few practice sessions with it and it was just what i needed. So i bought one and loved it ever since.

Its great for serves, receive, short play and topspins. Its not the most power fullest blade in the world but its very good for control and spin.

Althought saying that, I was use to such a fast blade before I used the spirit so it took me a while to adjust.

I have tried the Schalger carbon to and didnt like it.

So i think try and test it and go from there. Also test out the Michael Maze blade. That's a good one

Regards

Dan

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2011
How about Amultart Blade + Tenergy 05FX FH + Tenergy 05 BH ? I'm playing this combo...it's the good combo Offensive style (just my thinking). Be careful when you change the blade from Sardius to any kind of ALC blade...it will be slower, less power but spinner than before.

How about Amultart Blade + Tenergy 05FX FH + Tenergy 05 BH ? I'm playing this combo...it's the good combo Offensive style (just my thinking). Be careful when you change the blade from Sardius to any kind of ALC blade...it will be slower, less power but spinner than before.
I recommend the T05 fx on the backhand and the T05 on the forehand. The softer sponge s great for control with the backhand while the forehand is more lethal!

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Throw my name in among those who love using the TBS. I prefer T05 (in 2.1sponge) on FH and can get along with a lot of rubbers on BH.

I will go against the grain on this comment and state for the record that I have seen a number of new players here in Korea start out with the BTY Schlager Carbon (Usually with Yasaka Extend HS - a German made Tensor, or sometimes Tenergy) and reach div 3 within two years of light training (which is 3 x 20 minutes a week of lessons with a good coach, usaully a former pro, former national player, former regional/national coach, or super solid national standard div 1 player. These players are both young and old, some over 50 starting out or converting from J-Pen. The Schlager Carbon is not as fast as it is advertised with T05, in fact, that setup feels very control oriented on FH with t05 and not nearly the rocket it is billed to be.

My point being that an OFF oriented player can start off with a fast OFF setup from the get-go and train with a good coach, yet still achieve a respectable level in a relative short timeframe with equipment that would make many pundits roll in their grave. The average club player in Korea is Seoul city div 4 mens. of course many are better, but teh average player is low to mid level of div 4 Seoul city, which is 1700-1800 USAATT in a TT concentrated area of USA like Dallas/Houston Texas or Baltimore/DC MD.