Training videos

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
What do you mean exactly regarding the cross step video? I don't understand completely.

Sorry, I don't think I explained it well. Nothing to do with good or bad. The video is good and I like it. The around the net shot is very nice. I like how the player waits for the ball to drop low to get that nice sidespin for going around the net.

In that video there are two players. The second player does that nice around the net shot. That same player, on his first cross-step, the ball is wider than the others. It is hard to see because his body is in the way. But from the angle where he takes the shot, to where it lands on the opposite side, his first cross-step shot most likely, also goes around the net. Watch it closely. He makes a pretty good play on that ball. [emoji2]

For reference, see 0.53-0.56 seconds on the video:

I could be wrong but it looks like it goes around the net too.

Sent from The Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Around the net is my favorite shot. Any chance I get to make one, I go for it. The ones that are nice and low so they slide or skid always are fun. But nothing beats a really cool looking hook shot around the net. At least in my opinion.

Sent from The Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2016
Hi 3Ttabletennis :),

I ussually follow your training videos and I want to say you are doing a great job. I personally love how u show the exercises with clear schemes.

I am full time coach ( always learning) and would like to ask you about TIMING exercises. I actually coach a good level cadet girl, but she has many problems with timing. She doesn't know how to "stop de the time" when the ball is coming, and also she has problems to identify when is the best moment To excute Topspin with more or less aceleration. She plays ok ball clearly eith down rotation and also good when the ball comes clearly without rotation, the problem comes when the ball is coming with mixed rotation or long push dead ball.

i would really appreciatte if u can write some exercisses or tips to show how to improve what I wrote u before about TIMING.

thanks for sharing this grea background,

cheers!

Hey Crisper 29,
i'm glad that you like our video channel :)

What problems do you mean exactly with timing? Does the girl not wait for the ball and hit the ball to early?
If my players hit to early, i tried to increase the net height. So they are forced to wait for the ball and brush it in the "falling" phase.

We also put sometimes barriers between the table and the player, if they are to close to the table and hit to hard and early. The barrier helps them also to wait for the ball.
Sometime it helps during multiball training to tell and remember the players for EACH ball to wait for the ball, if they want to hit it to early. Did i understand the problem correctly? If not, please tell me.
What do you mean with long push dead balls?
If she has problems with mixed rotation you can vary your spin irregulalry during multiball training. Vary the length and the spin of the feeded balls. So her visual perception will improve and she will learn to adapt her position to the length of the ball and adapt the position or height of her racket depending on the spin (backspin -> lower position of the racket, no spin -> higher position).
The other forum member are also welcome to discuss this matter.

Last edited:
Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2016
I personally appreciate your tips a lot. Mainly this is exactly what I meant on how you have described the main problems:

1. She hits the ball to early and to straight.
2. She had problems to identify the type and amount of spin wich is coming.
3. She has technical problem when the ball comes without spin ( backspin movement with the racket, but you dont add spin, trying to confuse the rival.
4. More practice with eye perceptionn, to identify better the amount of spin.

I usually use a net with more height as u said me, and also I give her different spin in each ball during multiball. Last weeks I am trying to change her game with training from middle distance, because she is good very close to the table and with small side steps footwork, but she has never played one step from the table before.

" barriers between the table and the player", it really sounds very interesting, it should obligate her to wait the ball with more pause. I definetely will use your advice.

Also I will take the your advice about speaking her while throwing multiball.

Generally speaking I think maybe it comes mostly from her biomechanical movement during topspin. This problem I think can comes from:

1. Her muscles are to tense and she put a lot of pressure in whole arm before hitting the ball. And as u know perfectly, it give less flexibility during the stroke and its like a stone hitting a ball.

2. Her upper body is to high, she should flex more her shoulders and the back in general during the movement.

3. Her racket is too close to her body during the topspin, it would give her more plasticity if she leaves more distance between her body and the racket. ( we usually see this on chinese players, they play with racket in front of the ball, but their body is far away due to have the best adaptation and aceleration.

All in all I think (maybe I am wrong), that her biomechanical movement is not so clean. I put everyday many efforts on her because she has good ranking at national level "5" and We are working to grow up to be top3, but its being difficult and I am getting a bit frustrated xD xD.

Coaches like you are the examples I follow, learning from theory but adding creativity in modern table tennis ( this is how sometimes someone jumps suddenly to a new level in Sport nowadays) . Unfortunately in many places like mine there are no chances about learning profesionally, and I must look far away to improve skills.

Thanks a lot for your answer and table tennis work for everyone.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Keep in touch to discuss about interesting topics like this anytime :).

Best regards

Last edited:
Hey Crisper29,
showing us 2 videos is a quite good idea. That gives a good impression. Based on the few seconds i think she has allready reached a good level of playing table tennis with good consistency in her strokes. The early ball contact can also be a benefit (less time for the opponent). But in my oppinion it is important that she can vary her timing(for example: spinny topspins against backspin, fast topspins against block).
Generally i observed that girls often tend to hit the ball hard and early and that it takes more effort to convince them that brushing the ball is also a good solution :)
My ideas for your matter would be:

- Feed her during multiball training with a lot of heavy backspin balls. These balls can't be hit early and hard. So maybe she will get more confident with waiting and brushing.

- Feed her a lot of times with random amount of backspin. So she has to adapt her movement. This will improve her visual perception. When she has much trouble with this exercise, you can start in a easy way: In the beginning you can tell her for every ball, how much backspin the ball has. When she gets confident whit the exercise, then stop telling her the amount of spin. Another intermediate stage could be working with different ball colours (for example: orange balls --> heavy backspin, white balls: less backspin)

- Feed her with irregular length of balls. so she has to adapt her position. Use a lot of very long balls. So she has to go a little bit backwards.

- You could feed her with hidden serves. Due to hiding she can't see the ball contact. So she has to watch the ball trajectory. Based on the ball trajectory she has to decide which spin the ball has. This will also improve her visual perception

- Maybe you could use the barrier between her and the table. Maybe she gets a better feeling for waiting for the ball and playing with more spin. But i think it's ok, if she likes playing close to the table. It can be also a advantage for her. So this exercise could be used to increase her feeling for waiting for the ball and to make her game more variable. If she can vary her spin and the speed of her balls, her game will get more difficult to read for her opponents.

I think this topic is a interesting disussion. Are there any other ideas of the other forum members? What exercise would you choose for tis matter?

Here is another video of us: Irregular forward-backward-movement:

The trainer feeds with an irregular number of short pushes followed by a long push. The practising player has to push short back against the short balls. The long push is looped with the forehand. This is a very nasty exercise ;):):cool:

Last edited:
This time we had some training for a 3rd ball attack: half-long serve and counter topspin

The exercise is structured stepwise:
1. Training of half-long serves.
2. Multiball: looping half-long balls
3. Multiball: looping half-long balls and counter topspin
4. 3rd ball attack: half-long serve - loop of half-long serve - counter topspin

I hope you will like it. :)

After some pause we have made a new video with some basic table tennis exercises. The exercises are performed by a nine year old and very talented girl from Hungary. We were impressed by her concentration and motivation.

Some additionally information: If you like, you can find us also now on Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/3t_tabletennistraining/

Last edited: