TT Ball change after 2012 Olympics!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2011
Right now I just wondering if the ball is available now or not yet. Since I only left half dozen of TT balls. I was thinking instead of buying some more dozen of the current celluloid balls, and maybe had to change all them in the next year (if I ever go for any competition in US). I would just buy these new one to try :D

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2011
If the ball gets any bigger than this I will quit ping pong....

Large Ball Era.jpg

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2011
Read 1 reviews
The ball is not getting any bigger. Well, maybe for some.
Right now the minimum ball size is 39.50mm whereas the new ball's minimum size is EXACTLY 40mm.

The poor grip of PVC makes it hard to brush loop, the arc of the ball is longer, the bounce is much more truer.
Less spin less speed.

Hmph this is not tennis..

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2011
Read 1 reviews
Tacky Chinese rubbers could be the best for everyone with the new ball then?

Particularly not so, WiWa.
People have tried it and it seems that the new ball works best with mechanical spin rather than topsheet spin (Euro/Jap rubbers). The PVC's surface friction is just sooo bad :(
Harder sponge makes it even harder to spin.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
I see. But I assume that the companies working on the new ball should do some research on how to make it 'normal' a bit? You can't just take the spin out of the sport, that would be ridiculous. That's like replacing a basketball with a rubber cube.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2011
Read 1 reviews
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Looks like less spin on average for newer plastic ball.

Adham is a bull****ter marketing type. Remember one American saying... You can't bull**** a bull****ter. They are a pro at that game. America has too many of them and many countries are like America in that respect. Bullcrap celluloid is banned. TT Forum (MyTT and About.com) Jay called this one out, then Adham had to restate his marketing blurb.

Adham is full of it, but TT needs leaders who are full of it and can bull**** coporations to cough up $$$ funding for events. That is the best thing ITTF leadership can do for the sport. With the recent developments in this respect, Adham is only beginning to earn his way as ITTF president after making many good and many BAD influences to the rules. (Hey, the president doesn't change the rules, the rules convention does, yet he can influence that quite a bit.

No one country has to abide by ANY of the ITTF rules and are free to make their own. The again, what country's natl association in their right mind will have a totally different set of rules and send players to ITTF events?

if Adham can suceed in the art of influencing and bull****ting companies to give more money to the sport, then he will automatically put in place more incentives and programs in countries other than China to excell at TT. Changing rules and equipment in a bad way is not the path, but he sure looks determined. Some things needed to change like hidden serves and 21 point game. Some rules need to be better written and better enforced. Some rules and equipment changes need not be done. (like banning frictionless and pissing off a million plus old, grumpy men) The ball is one of them, at least not until it can perform better. The rule allowing plastic was in place long ago, but the product to me does not yet seem up to par, based on what I read the pros who have tested it. If later, plastic can be made to result in a more evenly round ball, consistant bounce, and friction co-efficient, then plastic may be a good choice, but later.

says Fair Play first
says Fair Play first
Jan 2012
Trial posting
Trial posting
Trial posting
Trial posting
Trial posting
Trial posting
Trial posting
Trial posting

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2011
I will wait for the final decision but I was wondering is mr sharara a former table tennis player? Was he any good? Does he know what table tennis is about? He gives me the impression that he doesnt know much about the sport and just wants to end the chinese dominance in a wrong way.

How about more money for eureopean players to have the best practice there is and stop changing the game so much?

I understand what he is trying to do, but I think he forgets about the millions of other players who are not professional and are playing just for fun who has to adapt over and over again to all these changes.
It becomes more and more expensive aswell, but all pro's have sponsors but "normal" players dont have that.

Table tennis has become so expensive the last few years, I even spent more money on a blade and rubbers than I spent on my tennis racquet which has triple the size. I'm seriously thinking of finding a new sport and keep table tennis just as a hobby.

You are right! Sharara don't know what he do. And not only you will think about ending serious training after changing bolls.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
1- the change is more an ecologic reason.
2- It will be very nasty for people who buy robot as it will not fit the old robot
3- I think the ball should be more solid and will not used as fast as the last one as it will be made in one piece.
4- The flight should be better. Faster? I don't know as it will be bigger.
5- The rotation ? Less for the size, but bigger contact with the rubber so .... ?

Do you know what will be the color as I can't play with yellow ball ( eyesight problem) ?

For the peoples who claim that it is expensive. Be serious !!! Have you ever play golf or do skying...? One game of golf is about the same as one month of ping-pong. Ping-pong cost is about 1/10 of an annual membership and you playgolf only 5 months /year. You can often loose more than 3 golf ball in a game...

Honnestly, you don't have to change racket or rubber that so often. Maybe the elite one, a little bit more...

I noticed that this sport is often played by peoples who don't have to much money. Maybe that the real why ?