TT Myth Busters

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
This user has been banned.
Nov 2010
I think, to me at least, one of the most interesting things about Punchy PNut's most recent rant is that it reveals something worth understanding. On many levels it reveals a person stuck in the formative emotional stages of a preteen. Me, me, me, me.

The wind emanating from that direction is related to a pretty clearly devolved emotional level of someone who obviously has bigger psychological issues going on and is choosing to vent and rant here, rather than dealing with his obvious shortcomings. The least of which is his sub-1000 level topspin rallying skills.
Well WTFRU? What have you done of any significance? You have only your myth guided opinions.
Do you understand what is in the link I posted. I didn't write it. It isn't my hot air. However the info in the links is accurate. If you want hot air listen to UpSideDownCarl and his bunch. They provide no facts just hot air ( myths )

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Again you lie.
It was upsidedowncarl that said that not me. I have always said that I was matching the spin when looping back under spin balls. That way I don't apply any vertical force on the ball that would make it go down into the net. You still don't get Newtons laws of motion do you? Why do I waste my time?

I don't believe in the tension fairy and keep spreading that myth. I can loop back balls with extreme back spin with T25, you can't.

You are really a small man. You really want to delude yourself that you can loop better than I can? Go ahead. There are lunatics everywhere.

Last edited:
Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2015
Hi I'm new to the Houston Texas area as of a month ago I'm looking for a partner, someone to play table tennis with. I have a year and a half experience I play penhold style I got third place in one of the 3 days in a ping pong tournament we had at Mohegan Sun when I used to live in Connecticut. At the end of that day I was dust it out by a guy who has been playing all his life. Needless to say it was a tough game but I still had a blast!!. I have a huge passion for the sport im not bad but i do want to get better. i would play almost every day if I could if not for work..... But right now I work part time so I do have a good amount of free time. Somebody please respond, if you live in Houston. Thanks=)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
I don't believe in the tension fairy and keep spreading that myth. I can loop back balls with extreme back spin with T25, you can't.

Wow... This is really hilarious. Top-level Entertainment i'd say.
Do you get paid for this?? I really hope so.
Just can't believe you actually wrote this.

Well speaking of TT-Myths...
Crazy... I thought guys like you were a MYTH...
(Sort of like the sasquatch, so maybe sasquatch has gotta be real, too)
:D

Last edited:
This user has no status.
Wow... This is really hilarious. Top-level Entertainment i'd say.
Do you get paid for this?? I really hope so.
Just can't believe you actually wrote this.

Well speaking of TT-Myths...
Crazy... I thought guys like you were a MYTH... (Sort of like the sasquatch)

Yeah.. I saw that kidsmovie "the last airbender".. The title may be somewhat missleading.. as we clearly are in the precence of some sort of superhero... The use of "WTFRU" may suggest an angry character.. In all fairness, if you can take on any player from any of the Chinese provinces, you must be wearing a cape to work!

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Again you lie.
It was upsidedowncarl that said that not me. I have always said that I was matching the spin when looping back under spin balls. That way I don't apply any vertical force on the ball that would make it go down into the net. You still don't get Newtons laws of motion do you? Why do I waste my time?

All for the LULZ. This has got to be as funny as it gets.

"Again you lie. It was upsidedowncarl that said that not me."

He may be relying on seeing clearly that you kill the spin rather than on anything else. Words are not needed when the proof is in your own video!

But this irrational lashing out is pretty much as funny as it gets.

And here is Punchy explaining how he could slow the spin on the ball down:

Again you lie. All I need to do is absorb the rotational energy. I dont have to hit down on it.

And the comedy that he is still trying to say that he can loop, and NextLevel can't, this is remarkably funny. I think I have to calm down I am laughing so hard.

Good thing my wife made me extra popcorn today. I had a feeling I might be needing it.

Sent from TheSecretHideout using TheInfamousNSASpyPhone

Last edited:
Reactions: Rajah* and Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
LP still don't make balls wobble though. i will believe that such a thing happens when someone gets it on camera or even if i hear about someone witnessing it who WASN'T playing at that moment.

i know, i've seen a baseball do it on video. however, i've never in my years of playing table tennis both against and with long pimples seen a table tennis ball wobble.

I knew i forgot something....

....here you are:

https://thoughtsontabletennis.wordpress.com/2014/10/12/floating-balls/

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
LP still don't make balls wobble though. i will believe that such a thing happens when someone gets it on camera or even if i hear about someone witnessing it who WASN'T playing at that moment.

Base balls will wobble a little because the ball has thread seams that deflect the air around the ball. TT balls don't have threaded seams like base balls do.

You seem to forget that tt-balls aren't perfectly round plus the impact when you hit it leaves a little deformation on the ball for a very short while. Good job...

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Oh, me, I dispel myths, that is what I do:

The myth of Puncy's Loop:

No spin, no loop.

Puncy believes in the loop fairy. He believes that because he knows what his racket is supposed to be doing, at least intellectually, that his racket is doing it. The loop fairy turns mediocre drive strokes into loops: apparently, into loops with no spin.

And somehow this dazzling technical prowess he displays is soooo good that he can beat all the players in China except the very best and the coaches. Where is that cape? He must have one somewhere!

Reactions: Suga D and Rajah*
This user has no status.
You seem to forget that tt-balls aren't perfectly round plus the impact when you hit it leaves a little deformation on the ball for a very short while. Good job...

egg-like balls wobble pretty much the moment they start spinning, this would have very little to do with long pips. also, table tennis balls do not deform nearly enough to be noticed, not even when hit really hard and recorded with a high speed camera.

This user has no status.

and again... it explains the general theory of a wobbling ball well but it only shows rather large rubber balls wobbling mid air while traveling at a high speed, but a table tennis ball? nowhere to be seen... if it were true that LP rubbers produced wobbling balls by returning them with no spin, this could ONLY happen at very high speeds because at slower speed the air resistance provides very little effect.

your link is very right about one thing though: "Because the balls travels on an unfamiliar trajectory our brain will signal a computation error and our movement/coordination will become dizzy and off time."
indeed the "wobbling" is an illusion that happens when our brain makes a computational error because of an unexpected ball trajectory.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
and again... it explains the general theory of a wobbling ball well but it only shows rather large rubber balls wobbling mid air while traveling at a high speed, but a table tennis ball? nowhere to be seen... if it were true that LP rubbers produced wobbling balls by returning them with no spin, this could ONLY happen at very high speeds because at slower speed the air resistance provides very little effect.

your link is very right about one thing though: "Because the balls travels on an unfamiliar trajectory our brain will signal a computation error and our movement/coordination will become dizzy and off time."
indeed the "wobbling" is an illusion that happens when our brain makes a computational error because of an unexpected ball trajectory.

Seems as if you had a good read. Also nice that you quoted certain passages.
But actually a little strange that you left out this here:

If we consider our table tennis ball, we immediately think of the seam as irregularity. We can’t exploit the seam as seen on the volleyball case but we should remember that the seam can cause a floating effect. This might be eliminated be the seamless polyball.

It says it quite clearly... ;)

Edit: in our league we still use seamed cell balls. So if you and your mates just are using seamless poly balls, that could be a reason...

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
egg-like balls wobble pretty much the moment they start spinning, this would have very little to do with long pips. also, table tennis balls do not deform nearly enough to be noticed, not even when hit really hard and recorded with a high speed camera.

Not so sure if you actually watched this here. So just to make sure... ;)

Reactions: NextLevel
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Trick is, N_E_V_E_R tell A_N_Y_O_N_E, you might just be in a little bit over your head. NEVER!

I knew there must be w Strong Bad video that fit the scenario. Dead On.

Sent from TheSecretHideout using TheInfamousNSASpyPhone

Reactions: Liten
Not so sure if you actually watched this here. So just to make sure... ;)

See this vidéo starting at 4:30

I wanna see someone able to generate the same impuls with a T05 as the Japanese is doing with Grass Dtechs ;)
Never seens so far.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
yes, all those videos show a very unexpected ball flight path because we are all conditioned to expect a certain spin from a certain stroke from having seen it thousands of times with an inverted rubber... but again, the ball does not wobble mid air! meaning, it does not fly zig-zag, or left then right then left again if you will.

and no, i haven't been playing with the seamless ball. the association that i play in is still using the celuloid ball, i've been playing against a whole bunch of LP players for the last 8 years since i've been competing in it.

If we consider our table tennis ball, we immediately think of the seam as irregularity. We can’t exploit the seam as seen on the volleyball case but we should remember that the seam can cause a floating effect. This might be eliminated be the seamless polyball.
this is what we call an unproven hypothesis. or even better: speculation.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
I am going to show my ignorance here and probably embarrass myself as usual. But I just read this on another site and I was wondering whether or not it was true:

"Wobbling occurs when a ball is played with more than one spin, for example topspin and sidespin. When this type of ball contacts a hard, long pimple (such as without sponge, plastic pimples and on a fast blade), it then springs off the surface very quickly and the spin already on the ball, remains on it. You therefore get back the same as you applied, (but reversed of course, your topspin comes back unchanged, as backspin), backspin, with a sidespin kick. The ‘wobbling’ effect occurs because you have two differing axes on the ball at the same time and both are trying to assert themselves."

-rowden fullen

The reason I ask is because whenever I serve heavy side under or side top to certain LPs, the ball does seem to zigzag on their return. By that, i mean the ball does seem to move left, then right, then left... similar to a Tim Wakefield knuckleball.

Edit: The thoughtsontabletennis article explained this effect. Nevermind.

Last edited: