Usage of Finger by a memebr on MyTT Forum

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
No harm done , I was just trying to avoid the sexual connotation ... but you were pretty close and thanks for the info on chopper ...

we have this guy in our club who plays japanese penhold and Der_Echte actually has played him ... we call this guy "Taichi Master" because of his unreal ball control when blocking and when I asked him about it , he said that he does it by changing the pressuer of his fingers behind the paddle , so as an opponent you can't even see it ... and for real I have seen this guy block real powerful loops into short pushes with his touch ...
Aah, sorry for the catch.

I thought spill the beans means "opening something kept closed" before reading that article. [emoji28] [emoji120]

Sent from my i5E using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Not really, when a TTD member saw a vid of NL smoking me at Lilly Yip's club, I did that for all my opening loops vs long underspin. A member called me out on it.

Yes, but the logic behind the principle is that you can get good technique without such things. I used to short push by taking fingers off the racket and a high level coach told me that it was unnecessary and would complicate my play under pressure unless I could flick with the same grip change.

There are a lot of people who talk about the principle of holding the racket with the index finger and the thumb. To me, this is a good starting point for learning to relax the grip generally as those are the fingers with the most control and sensitivity. But is it really true that most shots are executed with a grip that focuses on index finger and thumb?

For me, good loops and flicks get a good deal of help from the lower 3 fingers. What I try to avoid is holding the racket so tight that I lose whip. In fact, in the 70s and 80s, and you might still see this on some Japanese sites, the focus of the gruo was being relaxed in the lower 3 fingers but putting the heavy lifting there. Of course, no one ever advocated using them like a vice grip.

For me, grip when serving is very important. I try to make sure that when I serve my reverse or my pendulum, I am usually holding the face of the racket and probably grabbing no woof whatsoever. I need maximum whip for my serves and this helps me with that. Now I used to start with a grip that was less radical but as I started to focus on whip and especially my reverse pendulum, I modified my grip to enable me to serve with maximum spin and to keep the ball low. The spin is still less than my pendulum serve but there are major control advantages.

Grip can also be used to adjust the stiffness of the rebound vs the incoming ball. I use my fingers to increase the spin on my loops by using them to turn the racket round the ball to are to my whip motion. It is why you will not hear I have the fastest loops, but you will hear that I play with massive amountsbof spin.

Using the grip to adjust the stability of the rebound can mess up people. See DerEchte and Rich DeWitt for further comments.

When I serve I hold the blade with two fingers only. The other three I keep loose on the handle and at the moment of contact I sqweeze the handle sharply. This ads to the cut a big portion of unexpected side spin and very often the oponent pushes the ball away by the side of the table.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
I share similar opinion on the grip and movement of finger to be honest ... if it happens organically well its good , but if not , then it is a difficult thing to build into the game without getting confused ... one thing to note is that even in pros, there are very few who actually do it ...
Yes, but the logic behind the principle is that you can get good technique without such things. I used to short push by taking fingers off the racket and a high level coach told me that it was unnecessary and would complicate my play under pressure unless I could flick with the same grip change.

There are a lot of people who talk about the principle of holding the racket with the index finger and the thumb. To me, this is a good starting point for learning to relax the grip generally as those are the fingers with the most control and sensitivity. But is it really true that most shots are executed with a grip that focuses on index finger and thumb?

For me, good loops and flicks get a good deal of help from the lower 3 fingers. What I try to avoid is holding the racket so tight that I lose whip. In fact, in the 70s and 80s, and you might still see this on some Japanese sites, the focus of the gruo was being relaxed in the lower 3 fingers but putting the heavy lifting there. Of course, no one ever advocated using them like a vice grip.

For me, grip when serving is very important. I try to make sure that when I serve my reverse or my pendulum, I am usually holding the face of the racket and probably grabbing no woof whatsoever. I need maximum whip for my serves and this helps me with that. Now I used to start with a grip that was less radical but as I started to focus on whip and especially my reverse pendulum, I modified my grip to enable me to serve with maximum spin and to keep the ball low. The spin is still less than my pendulum serve but there are major control advantages.

Grip can also be used to adjust the stiffness of the rebound vs the incoming ball. I use my fingers to increase the spin on my loops by using them to turn the racket round the ball to are to my whip motion. It is why you will not hear I have the fastest loops, but you will hear that I play with massive amountsbof spin.

Using the grip to adjust the stability of the rebound can mess up people. See DerEchte and Rich DeWitt for further comments.

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I really do not see how Der_Echte can be mentioned among the masters of grip pressure adjustment at impact on the touch return and middle shots such as Richard DeWitt. I might be able to recognize what returns this class of player produces the returns they do, but I really lack the touch and timing on the short touch and middle shots to do it myself.

I have above average ability on serve return pushes and a better varied block, but that is about it. I frequently try to stimulate discussion so I might learn more on how to do it too. It is an unseen and powerful effective force of low impact.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: BeGo and ttmonster