Video Footage Safe Thread

This user has no status.
Thanks a lot @NextLevel and @Takkyu_wa_inochi, you guys gave me very good advices.

Just my friend, he is a chopper he doesn't have a backhand topspin. Really nice video, your backhand loop is very good, very imprenssive. Thanks for your feedback
Here is more footage if you would like to take a look. This is me practicing with a Nigerian National Team Member. (And yes, I can post here now :) )

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Hi ShoutGuy

I think some of this is mentioned.

1) your two feet is anchored in, you need to get those to move around a bit more. This way you don't have a dead weight.

2) weight transfer is required from your light to right legs, and during the transfer, to get energy from your abs and use that to lift the ball. Suck in air, hold it in and when you want to hit the ball, release the energy. You need to have weight transfer and energy transfer in that waiting zone before striking the ball.

3) Your backhand technique is flawed. for now, rather focus on gripping the ball and roll over the top than trying to swing too big. Focus on rolling over with your wrist and forearm, and not using your elbow to swing. Roll over, not swing over.

I think first focus on your footworks:
here is a drill I did many years ago (excuse the cameraman clown)
Here you can see the importance of moving into position to hit the ball.
my feed was quick, as I wanted to train her to move,
she has a good backhand, but very lousy footwork, so I didn't really care if she was late for her shot, as focus was to make sure she is in position or moving into position and not so much the hitting part

and here is a recent video of me with plenty of back hand (I just took any random time, you can spend a bit more time to check the whole clip)

Here you can see that I am going below the ball, and coming up into the ball

And hope this video helps a bit too
Look how her elbow is always facing the same direction and not moving around and then look at yours.
If you use your forearm probably, the elbow won't be moving much

Reactions: ShoutGuy
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Here is more footage if you would like to take a look. This is me practicing with a Nigerian National Team Member. (And yes, I can post here now :) )

This is a really fun video to watch. It is clear in many places that both you and Kazeem are having fun and playing around. But when you are executing shots, it is easy to see how clean and solid your technique is.

Thank you for posting. It is really nice to get to know forum members a little better in this way.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Whenever I tried to use body rotation on my backhand I lost my timing completely and then I gave up. Maybe I was trying to use too much. I'll try to use more body gradually, thank you very much. But why not extend my arms, that makes me lose stability? Thank you again

Reactions: ShoutGuy
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2015
Read 8 reviews
Hi guys, looking for feedback. This is a match I played in competition last weekend. My rating is inaccurate as I have not played proper comp for years but with my old rating, he is 100 points above me. He is using antispin on backhand.
It was a close one and I felt I could have taken it.

Thanks in advance.

This user has no status.
Hi guys, looking for feedback. This is a match I played in competition last weekend. My rating is inaccurate as I have not played proper comp for years but with my old rating, he is 100 points above me. He is using antispin on backhand.

Thanks in advance.

Hi Jeff,
i didn't see the whole video, but here's my impression:

(+)

- indeed you could make some very good BH, like the 3rd point of the match, there's even 2 in the same points. that's the way it should be

- receive i think was rather good, notably the no-spin "Nagashi" in straight line, little risk and enough against this opponent who cannot really attack with his BH.

- FH topspin was spinny too

- overall you were patient , and that's a good thing against this type of player

(-)

- I felt the serves didn't have enough quality. If you serve with backspin, not enough backspin. If you serve no spin, keep it low in priority (not always the case) and try to disguise it more and vary length or placement even by a little to make him move a bit. I understand you wanted to aim for his anti, but from time to time I believe a short serve to FH or fast long serve to FH would have been effective

- overall the impression is that you play like a veteran. Your swing speed is good, but your footwork is like you're playing in slow motion. It's no wonder that at 9-9 he gets you by simply pushing wide to your FH and you're late on the ball. it feels that you're not using much the power from your legs for executing your shots.

If I were you, that's the first thing I'd want to improve. It looks like you're not even sweating after playing a 5-game match. Imagine you're at a boxing fight. you want to attack and throw your best (punches) shots at each ball, whether its a smash, a spinny drive or a push, and for this you have to be quick on your feet.

- your shots look rather good overall, even though i could see on the very first topspin, you are jumping while doing the drive. both feet are not touching the ground. On the 2nd topspin, you're netting it. The timing is a bit too early given the backspin, and it feels to me you are not using at all your wrist at contact to help you win against the backspin
My personal opinion though is that the FH form is too big. Its working there in this match because the opponent is playing slowly but it could cause you problem on the way up

- for blocking your stance should be more forward. i think its reasonably wide but the upper body should be leaning a bit more forward, keep the racket high and push slightly down and forward to block and adjust your grip to absorb or not energy.

---
on this particular match, you were close from victory. I just think the opponent was a bit more experienced and he played more positively the last few points, while you were a bit too passive.

Reactions: JeffM and NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews

Thanks in advance.

First things first, I think you played well. That said, some of the points I will make are more long term things. It will come out the wron way sometimes because I really enjoyed watching the match and I think in reality, if this you played you 5 times, you might win more than your fair share. But I want to give you the tools to win this match the first time.

I don't think you approached the match as it you felt you could win with tactical play, which makes sense since you knew the opponent's rating. What I mean by this is that you played at a pace which I think is common amongst players who do not really prepare to win points. Unless your name is Felix or Alexis, spend some more time thinking about what you intend to do between points, so you can feel more control. This is something that has to begin in practice matches by the way. Develop a routine that let's you control your pace of play and helps you improve your mind body connection before the point starts. This will be most helpful for improve your serve and attack but it might also help on serve return when you need to think about what happened on prior points and what you might do to confuse your opponent on critical points. I guess the anti made you slightly less comfortable in your traditional patterns, maybe it was just that because I felt there were things you could have invested in that you didn't per se.

To me, the fundamental question in serve and third ball is 'spin or no spin". And then to sell spin as no spin and to sell no spin as spin. This is especially helpful when playing anti players or pips players. You want them to misread spin balls as no spin balls on serve return to give you attack opportunities and you want them to dump spin balls into the net or off the table to give you easy points. I honestly couldn't tell what you were trying to get on serve return or what problems you were trying to cause for your opponent. Usually when I play pips or anti players, I use the first game to gauge what they put on the ball in response to my spin and no spin serves. Remember your misses calibrate your attacks as much as your makes if you have a complete stroke framework. I think you really should improve your serve variation and control. When serves get better, the reward is rarely in your home club because after 3 games/matches depending on the opponent, the subconscious mind starts figuring things out. The reward is usually when you travel to play competition because those guys are seeing your serves for the first time. There the work you put into deception and precision pays off massively. Your serve depth and location could be improved, you arguably lost game 1 with a lazy half long serve to the forehand

Finally, you hit too many backhands against loose balls. You need to introduce a point ending forehand on more points as long as it doesn't cause injury. The windmill approach you often use on your backhand is more deadly and reliable when applied with the forehand and with more physical effort. Because the ball is loose, it usually means if you read it, you have time to pivot and introduce a forehand. I respect the backhand consistency but I think it is going to limit your game unless you practice it well enough to do more with it, including hit the ball away from the opponent. And it will break down at critical points (there was one point in game 1 which you would clearly have adjusted better with a forehand, but it is missed because of all the pretty backhands giving you a false sense of security).

All in all it was a good match, the opponent just got the last few points because he had the lead so he could take more risks to make you play worse, while you were too locked into prior point patterns. I think when you get back to your club, you should be more deliberate about building a backspin nospin serve combination and understanding the strengths and weaknesses of this approach inside out. I know most people will say just develop your own best serve and use it, but I strongly believe that the backspin no spin should really be on top of whatever you do.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2015
Read 8 reviews
Hi Jeff,
i didn't see the whole video, but here's my impression:

(+)

- indeed you could make some very good BH, like the 3rd point of the match, there's even 2 in the same points. that's the way it should be

- receive i think was rather good, notably the no-spin "Nagashi" in straight line, little risk and enough against this opponent who cannot really attack with his BH.

- FH topspin was spinny too

- overall you were patient , and that's a good thing against this type of player

(-)

- I felt the serves didn't have enough quality. If you serve with backspin, not enough backspin. If you serve no spin, keep it low in priority (not always the case) and try to disguise it more and vary length or placement even by a little to make him move a bit. I understand you wanted to aim for his anti, but from time to time I believe a short serve to FH or fast long serve to FH would have been effective

- overall the impression is that you play like a veteran. Your swing speed is good, but your footwork is like you're playing in slow motion. It's no wonder that at 9-9 he gets you by simply pushing wide to your FH and you're late on the ball. it feels that you're not using much the power from your legs for executing your shots.

If I were you, that's the first thing I'd want to improve. It looks like you're not even sweating after playing a 5-game match. Imagine you're at a boxing fight. you want to attack and throw your best (punches) shots at each ball, whether its a smash, a spinny drive or a push, and for this you have to be quick on your feet.

- your shots look rather good overall, even though i could see on the very first topspin, you are jumping while doing the drive. both feet are not touching the ground. On the 2nd topspin, you're netting it. The timing is a bit too early given the backspin, and it feels to me you are not using at all your wrist at contact to help you win against the backspin
My personal opinion though is that the FH form is too big. Its working there in this match because the opponent is playing slowly but it could cause you problem on the way up

- for blocking your stance should be more forward. i think its reasonably wide but the upper body should be leaning a bit more forward, keep the racket high and push slightly down and forward to block and adjust your grip to absorb or not energy.

---
on this particular match, you were close from victory. I just think the opponent was a bit more experienced and he played more positively the last few points, while you were a bit too passive.
Thanks for the feedback Takkyu!

I did try one fast down the line serve but he reacted rather well and I couldn't receive it, so I stopped doing it.

Yes, I agree my movement is quite bad, particularly footwork. Like you said, I feel like I am moving like an old man. Even though I am going to gym and doing squats, what do you recommend I do to make me move lighter? I think keeping on my toes and heels off the ground might help.

The wrist is a good point, I used to use it alot in penhold and early shakehand, but I do need to try to consciously use it to see the effect. I keep forgetting about it, and only using other parts instead to compensate.

I have lots of issues with blocking spinny loops. This guy's loop is an example, but in the next video that I post, I am losing so many points because I cannot control that spin.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2015
Read 8 reviews
First things first, I think you played well. That said, some of the points I will make are more long term things. It will come out the wron way sometimes because I really enjoyed watching the match and I think in reality, if this you played you 5 times, you might win more than your fair share. But I want to give you the tools to win this match the first time.

I don't think you approached the match as it you felt you could win with tactical play, which makes sense since you knew the opponent's rating. What I mean by this is that you played at a pace which I think is common amongst players who do not really prepare to win points. Unless your name is Felix or Alexis, spend some more time thinking about what you intend to do between points, so you can feel more control. This is something that has to begin in practice matches by the way. Develop a routine that let's you control your pace of play and helps you improve your mind body connection before the point starts. This will be most helpful for improve your serve and attack but it might also help on serve return when you need to think about what happened on prior points and what you might do to confuse your opponent on critical points. I guess the anti made you slightly less comfortable in your traditional patterns, maybe it was just that because I felt there were things you could have invested in that you didn't per se.

To me, the fundamental question in serve and third ball is 'spin or no spin". And then to sell spin as no spin and to sell no spin as spin. This is especially helpful when playing anti players or pips players. You want them to misread spin balls as no spin balls on serve return to give you attack opportunities and you want them to dump spin balls into the net or off the table to give you easy points. I honestly couldn't tell what you were trying to get on serve return or what problems you were trying to cause for your opponent. Usually when I play pips or anti players, I use the first game to gauge what they put on the ball in response to my spin and no spin serves. Remember your misses calibrate your attacks as much as your makes if you have a complete stroke framework. I think you really should improve your serve variation and control. When serves get better, the reward is rarely in your home club because after 3 games/matches depending on the opponent, the subconscious mind starts figuring things out. The reward is usually when you travel to play competition because those guys are seeing your serves for the first time. There the work you put into deception and precision pays off massively. Your serve depth and location could be improved, you arguably lost game 1 with a lazy half long serve to the forehand

Finally, you hit too many backhands against loose balls. You need to introduce a point ending forehand on more points as long as it doesn't cause injury. The windmill approach you often use on your backhand is more deadly and reliable when applied with the forehand and with more physical effort. Because the ball is loose, it usually means if you read it, you have time to pivot and introduce a forehand. I respect the backhand consistency but I think it is going to limit your game unless you practice it well enough to do more with it, including hit the ball away from the opponent. And it will break down at critical points (there was one point in game 1 which you would clearly have adjusted better with a forehand, but it is missed because of all the pretty backhands giving you a false sense of security).

All in all it was a good match, the opponent just got the last few points because he had the lead so he could take more risks to make you play worse, while you were too locked into prior point patterns. I think when you get back to your club, you should be more deliberate about building a backspin nospin serve combination and understanding the strengths and weaknesses of this approach inside out. I know most people will say just develop your own best serve and use it, but I strongly believe that the backspin no spin should really be on top of whatever you do.
Hi NextLevel, thanks for the great analysis!

I agree with everything. I think because I don't do the tactical thinking before each point in my normal games in my club, I don't do it in competition. This is something I need to consciously do to change the habit.

In terms of variation, I am bit scared of doing anything other than top/no spin/backspin to them, as I don't really fully understand how the ball comes back to me if say I add side/reverse side spin. This happened in one point in the match where I served reverse spin and then I couldn't get the return back.

Yeah, my backhand landing rate is unusually high for my standard in this game, but I should instead be using my forehand to finish points. Perhaps because I have been forcing myself to use my bh in club, that mentality came over to the match situation, so then when I try to pivot to use fh, it isn't as good as it used to be due to the relative lack of use.

Will work on my serves when I can.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2015
Read 8 reviews
If I may, I want to post a 2nd video for feedback. This one I found alot more harder to play than the first match. The loops were too spinny for me to handle. His bh serve got me too much until I learnt too late how to distinguish the no spin from backspin. When I misjudged it, he opens up with such spin that I can't handle and loses the point.

Thanks.

This user has no status.
Thanks for the feedback Takkyu!

I did try one fast down the line serve but he reacted rather well and I couldn't receive it, so I stopped doing it.
after serving long of course you should be ready quickly.
you could try not serving from the corner but like 20cm into the table so you can cover the wide FH easily.
if the guy hits a fast drive, most often at our levels he's fully committing to a winner, and if you just block it back on the table the point is yours.

Yes, I agree my movement is quite bad, particularly footwork. Like you said, I feel like I am moving like an old man. Even though I am going to gym and doing squats, what do you recommend I do to make me move lighter? I think keeping on my toes and heels off the ground might help.
well i think you're young i think there's a few things you can do:

1) image training watching pros, then shadow training alone even without a racket. just bounce right, left, forward, back. you do a chiquita, then you prepare yourself for a FH attack or counter etc...imagine how you'd (re)play if you had a great footwork a pattern that you like. Replay it slowly to learn the steps. then faster, and do reps. Shadow training is hard when done seriously. 10 reps is already a lot ! do 3 series ! make your own menu !

2) be in the right state of mind. try it in practice match. don't worry about the score, but just about trying to bounce and be in movement all the time. Focus also on your overall stance. Be ultra agressive in your head, imagine it's a boxing fight. if you stand still you're gonna be punched and KO'ed right ? you don't want that...

3) Of course you can move, you're young. First be aware of your possibilities. and then with training some simple drills like 2BH / 2 FH, FH random on 2/3 rd of table etc.. you'll get faster and better.
The wrist is a good point, I used to use it alot in penhold and early shakehand, but I do need to try to consciously use it to see the effect. I keep forgetting about it, and only using other parts instead to compensate.

I have lots of issues with blocking spinny loops. This guy's loop is an example, but in the next video that I post, I am losing so many points because I cannot control that spin.
i think your upper body is too up straight. bend more forward, closer to the ball. try to keep both shoulders forward. keep the racket high and press a little bit forward and down, don't just put the racket in opposition. depending on the ball trajectory and spin you may want to contact the ball on the left side a bit more. These balls are not easy. Never try to go straight down the line, but where more table is

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Hi NextLevel, thanks for the great analysis!

I agree with everything. I think because I don't do the tactical thinking before each point in my normal games in my club, I don't do it in competition. This is something I need to consciously do to change the habit.

In terms of variation, I am bit scared of doing anything other than top/no spin/backspin to them, as I don't really fully understand how the ball comes back to me if say I add side/reverse side spin. This happened in one point in the match where I served reverse spin and then I couldn't get the return back.

Yeah, my backhand landing rate is unusually high for my standard in this game, but I should instead be using my forehand to finish points. Perhaps because I have been forcing myself to use my bh in club, that mentality came over to the match situation, so then when I try to pivot to use fh, it isn't as good as it used to be due to the relative lack of use.

Will work on my serves when I can.
The strategy is correct, but you need to put more fear into the opponent by making the serves look more similar and introducing speed variation into your contact and placement. This takes practice obviously, but I can often sell backspin as no spin and no spin as backspin against most pips players with fakes and variations. I even sometimes use high toss serves on critical points because some people struggle to believe a high toss serve is no spin, usually when I get a passive return on no-spin, I should be able to kill whatever return I get back as long as I am in position.

You might find it superfluous, but if the variations slow the opponent down or cause hesitation, that is all you need. The analogy I draw is to a magic trick, if you see it in slow motion, everyone sees the magic, but if it is done quickly enough, then you start getting puzzled. Just give it some thought, find a coach or a good server to show you want to work on, but I think you only drew one error that I remember off the anti, I was hoping you could get a couple more points per game. Usually, just heavy backspin and no spin is enough unless the returner is very skilled. But you could even serve short topspin or fast topspin as variations after priming the opponent with lots of no spin and backspin. Service can be a psychological manipulation game against new opponents because they have to learn what you do. When you play them enough, it can sometimes just become muscle memory and this is what happens in the home club, but don't let it make you forget how important service can be vs fresh opponents.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
If I may, I want to post a 2nd video for feedback. This one I found alot more harder to play than the first match. The loops were too spinny for me to handle. His bh serve got me too much until I learnt too late how to distinguish the no spin from backspin. When I misjudged it, he opens up with such spin that I can't handle and loses the point.

Thanks.

Some of it is dodgy serving. It is to your credit that you fought through it. But I wouldn't blame you for being unable to return some dodgy serves. You will get better at that with more focus.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Some of it is dodgy serving. It is to your credit that you fought through it. But I wouldn't blame you for being unable to return some dodgy serves. You will get better at that with more focus.

Thanks.

Not sure what your struggle was exactly, you played pretty well, I should probably be asking you for coaching instead of the other way round. More seriously, your game is pretty strong, the main thing that is missing is that you need to bring more athleticism to the ball if you have it in reserve. The biggest issue is that you probably don't have a training environment in which you can practice things like countering topspin close to and far away from the table. But I struggle more with backward toss and low toss serves than you did, and you often blocked or countered the first loop. Of course the opponent is going to continue attacking and the attacker is usually supposed to beat the defender in such situations if the defender is not doing anything that pressures the attacker. That is why most people block once or twice and after that counter or sidespin block, which involve more risk, but if you are going to lose the point, are you going to lose the point waiting for the guy to miss, or by missing sometimes but increasing his probability of missing?

In any case, you played well, you should watch the match again and try to figure out what you think troubled you. Because this is a match that I think your feelings about what happened tell a different story from how the match actually went. I think if you improve your ability to attack the half long ball, that would have switched enough points to win this match. But I think his dodgy serving with low backward tosses was what won the match for him and threw you off.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews

Thanks.

Didn't watch both videos in full, but did see around 15 to 20 points

you actually play pretty good.
I think you have a good TT brain (knowing when to do what shot).
If I was going to coach you, first thing I will do is train your footwork and let you move better
Then make some adjustments to your hitting technique (this is probably the biggest work), where you can use more of your body to hit.
This way, you can add more speed and power, and recover faster and get ready for the next shot.
Then to train rallies with you.

A lot of your issues like in getting into rallies, and that has got to do with the above.
You have a good fundamental strategy and know when to do what (shot), so I don't doubt how you think. Just that you need to polish the technical part a bit and make more of your strategy work out for you and become points.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2015
Read 8 reviews
Not sure what your struggle was exactly, you played pretty well, I should probably be asking you for coaching instead of the other way round.
Not sure if you are being sarcastic here haha...

More seriously, your game is pretty strong, the main thing that is missing is that you need to bring more athleticism to the ball if you have it in reserve. The biggest issue is that you probably don't have a training environment in which you can practice things like countering topspin close to and far away from the table. But I struggle more with backward toss and low toss serves than you did, and you often blocked or countered the first loop. Of course the opponent is going to continue attacking and the attacker is usually supposed to beat the defender in such situations if the defender is not doing anything that pressures the attacker. That is why most people block once or twice and after that counter or sidespin block, which involve more risk, but if you are going to lose the point, are you going to lose the point waiting for the guy to miss, or by missing sometimes but increasing his probability of missing?

In any case, you played well, you should watch the match again and try to figure out what you think troubled you. Because this is a match that I think your feelings about what happened tell a different story from how the match actually went. I think if you improve your ability to attack the half long ball, that would have switched enough points to win this match. But I think his dodgy serving with low backward tosses was what won the match for him and threw you off.
Yeah I feel the biggest issue is I don't have anyone to give me those spiny loops / the environment to get me ready for matches like this. There actually was a guy from the city who came over to our area like 2 weeks before the comp, sadly the final week when I asked him to come and do spiny loops for me, he caught the flu and didn't come.

Like what Takkyu said, I also want to improve my athletism. So I need to find ways to make myself move around better.

I guess, in my mind after watching that game, I want to improve my serve receive. I thought the serves that he was doing with the backhand serves were short, but perhaps they are half long, which then I could have picked them off if I had enough practice/ willing to do so, because when I push them, he does the spinny loop and then I either lose the point or I become really passive.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2015
Read 8 reviews
Didn't watch both videos in full, but did see around 15 to 20 points

you actually play pretty good.
I think you have a good TT brain (knowing when to do what shot).
If I was going to coach you, first thing I will do is train your footwork and let you move better
Then make some adjustments to your hitting technique (this is probably the biggest work), where you can use more of your body to hit.
This way, you can add more speed and power, and recover faster and get ready for the next shot.
Then to train rallies with you.

A lot of your issues like in getting into rallies, and that has got to do with the above.
You have a good fundamental strategy and know when to do what (shot), so I don't doubt how you think. Just that you need to polish the technical part a bit and make more of your strategy work out for you and become points.
Thanks Tony.

To improve footwork: Would you recommend shadow stroke training for improving footwork? Or drills?
When you say, use more body to hit, do you mean using more body rotation? How can I achieve that in a meaningful way? Would it be useful to train abs for that? I do have access to a gym.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Not sure if you are being sarcastic here haha...

Yeah I feel the biggest issue is I don't have anyone to give me those spiny loops / the environment to get me ready for matches like this. There actually was a guy from the city who came over to our area like 2 weeks before the comp, sadly the final week when I asked him to come and do spiny loops for me, he caught the flu and didn't come.

Like what Takkyu said, I also want to improve my athletism. So I need to find ways to make myself move around better.

I guess, in my mind after watching that game, I want to improve my serve receive. I thought the serves that he was doing with the backhand serves were short, but perhaps they are half long, which then I could have picked them off if I had enough practice/ willing to do so, because when I push them, he does the spinny loop and then I either lose the point or I become really passive.
No, I was being humorous but not sarcastic at all, my weakness relative to my level is my topspin game rally game since I stay close to the table, defense can be tough against power loopers hitting the middle. You defended a lot of shots very well, you missed a few openers off your heavy push, that happens, you just need to cover the ball more or vary the push a bit, but very often you survived some pretty consistent and heavy attacks in good Harimoto style. And even the ones you missed, if you practiced countering heavy spin, you could be more aggressive against them for sure. It's just experience.

The main thing is that right now, you are largely an upper body player, sometimes even an upper arm player, and the question is how to build upon that to bring more athleticism. Maybe it is footwork drills, maybe it is the lower body usage, maybe it is using the core a bit better, I try to avoid being too descriptive because it will look different for everyone at our level given physical limitations etc. But assuming an equal level opponent, I would be happy to play the match you played, even with your current limitations, In a sense, like me, you have learned the game in reverse, you are doing some advanced things well, but missing the fundamentals that would be required to stabilize your playing level.

I am pretty confident that if you found a 2200 level player and faced his topspin consistently, you would get better fast because you have the right eyes and hands, the physical things are what they are for offense but it can just be seeing a better player on a regular basis makes you copy things he does.

And athleticism has its limits as well, don't think it solves everything. Arguably, some of the more difficult things, you already have good solutions for. But athleticism sometimes allows you to find better placements and shorten points, or play critical points with more confidence, and such small things can be enough to raise a level, especially with all these 2-point margin games you are playing.