Video Footage Safe Thread

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2022
Here's a short (<2 min) clipped HL package from a match against a strong player. He's one of the better loopers in NZ, and has amazing feeling - fortunately kept the former at bay and the latter he struggled to flow with due to the combination rubber.

Once again, Rakza PO fh [black] for me [in the navy shirt].

Very proud of this win!

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2021
Hi Folks, me again. This time i have footage of me playing some practise matches. My opponent is decently bit better than me but still looking for anyfeed back and especially some suggested drills i can do to force myself to move more and not stare at the ball after i've hit it.All tips and adivce apperciated.Thanks guys.

Brs

This user has no status.

Brs

This user has no status.
Oct 2015
Here's a short (<2 min) clipped HL package from a match against a strong player. He's one of the better loopers in NZ, and has amazing feeling - fortunately kept the former at bay and the latter he struggled to flow with due to the combination rubber.

Once again, Rakza PO fh [black] for me [in the navy shirt].

Very proud of this win!

Funny to see the scorekeeper smile and nod after the early point where you hit about five consecutive backhands. Being so strong on that wing seems to really support your pips-out fh because you don't have to give up table position to play forehands from the backhand side. And you are basically using the pips to set up your bh which doesn't put a lot of pressure to win points with your forehand unless it's a high ball. Seems like a very balanced game plan.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2015
Read 8 reviews
Made a video of my forehand loop practice. The first bit is from the video I showed recently, but the rest are new.

In the second bit, I tried hitting faster and harder loops.
Things I know already is that I should be using my body + legs still.
But that part is dependent on the condition of my knees. Currently they are doing pretty well, but I always worry whether trying too hard will upset them, and that could take months - years to settle, so always a fine line of trial and error.

I also tried putting in some voice line and background music but that is not the point in this thread :p

Brs

This user has no status.

Brs

This user has no status.
Oct 2015
Hi Folks, me again. This time i have footage of me playing some practise matches. My opponent is decently bit better than me but still looking for anyfeed back and especially some suggested drills i can do to force myself to move more and not stare at the ball after i've hit it.All tips and adivce apperciated.Thanks guys.

It's great that you posted a match. I watched the first two games so initial feedback.

This opponent is a level or two better than you. That shows in the trouble you had with serve and receive, and him being able to counter many of your forehand topspins for winners. Which is good video to share, but just know that if you posted a match with a more even opponent you might get different feedback from the forum.

A simple exercise I think you would benefit a lot from is to forehand loop vs block parallel instead of diagonal. You always play into his center forehand, that's why his counters were so consistent. He didn't have to move, or even worry about being beaten on his backhand line. If you don't make your opponent move then your ball quality has to be very high. Otherwise you will get their best shots back. Which leads into ...

You are playing very safe shots, which is good, except then you tend to go on the defensive often. That may just be a result of facing a stronger player, he put you on the back foot most points. It would be interesting to see you play other people. But from this I had questions about your philosophy. If you want to play controlled attack, my personal favorite style, then you need to really improve on placement. If you want to play more defensive blocking, or a counterattack style then you need to work mainly on receives, to give your opponent attacking looks that are hard, like bait him into making weak attacks you can counter against. Obviously you don't control many of the points here so you don't really have style choices. But when you do it is always good to have a clear idea of how you want to play most points.

Your backhand hardly showed in the first two games, but was solid when it did. I'll watch the rest and hope to see more backhand topspin.

On serve you could practice serving quite low and short or half-long. He attacked a fair number of your serves. Obviously spin variation is important, but top priority is simply not taking a strong attack right off his receive. Half-long and low no spin serves are surprisingly difficult to attack well, and dead easy to learn. I recommend putting a few practice hours into them with a strong focus on low and half-long.

A drill I do for moving and watching your opponent along with the ball is this: you play all to your blockers backhand (which is good practice for playing parallel forehands too) and he blocks one to the middle, one to either side, one to the middle, one to either side. Try to play ten shots on every ball. This works on both resetting your table position to play a forehand from the middle, and watching his wrist/bat to see which side the next ball will go to. It's kind of an advanced exercise in that you aren't really working on technique. But judging from the first two games your technique is actually good, well above the level you are getting out of it in game play. Which should make your match improvement go quite fast, so that's nice.

Reactions: NextLevel and J Bus

Brs

This user has no status.

Brs

This user has no status.
Oct 2015
Okay, watched the rest and I did see a lot of good backhands. You have good feeling and technique, I really feel like some gameplay / tactical stuff is letting you down.You really do always play your fh topspin to his forehand. Simply cannot be that predictable. It's like you are training with him instead of competing. Work on all three placements, wide off the forehand line, down the backhand line, and into the body. You have the shot so that should be a relatively fast and easy fix. If you have a training partner you could do this as a three point drill for the blocker. Like you play to his wide fh, he blocks to your fh, play to his middle, he blocks to your fh, play fh topspin to his backhand, he blocks down the line to your fh, repeat infinitely. This would be really good training for both you and your blocker. Most people only practice block without movement, and only practice movement with attacks. Unfortunately that is not at all realistic to how games play out.Your table distance is a problem. Very often even when you make the a good first attack you then kind of switch to blocking mode. Which is bad imo. But if you are more of a defender/blocker by nature it's fine, you would have to adjust your style to match is all. But right now you make an attack, step back to continue the attacks, but then block from mid-distance. This is shit for any style. If you want to block then you have to stay close. Blocking from far gives him way too much time to attack back. I think this one thing cost you many points in this match, and it's an immediate mental fix. Decide in advance when you have control early in a point, will you press the attack or block. If you are going to keep attacking then your table position is perfect, but you have to attack again. If you are going to block then don't leave the table. You are a very good blocker and it is a legit weapon when done well. But you have to stay close to the table. An exercise you could do for this is where you and your partner trade off attacking and blocking in the same ball. Obviously the attacks have to be like 50 - 70% power because you need to play every ball many times. One feeds and the other loops into block then steps back, another block and then looper plays one more loop from far and immediately moves closer to the table again. Blocker blocks one more time and ex-looper hits the ball back. Then you start the pattern again with the roles reversed. So ex-blocker gets the hit and loops from close to the table into block, steps back and plays another loop vs block and immediately moves close again. Does that make sense? It's an easy drill once you get the hang of it. In-and-out footwork is disastrously under-practiced compared to how often it comes up in points. Everybody does like 50x as much side-to-side training. Side-to-side is more important for sure, but you get diminishing returns from more practice on the same thing compared to doing a little work on a new thing.

Last edited:
Reactions: NextLevel and J Bus

Brs

This user has no status.

Brs

This user has no status.
Oct 2015
Question for admins: I edited the last post for clarity. Whenever I do that it loses all the paragraph spacing and formatting.

Does it show up as one big text block to everyone now?

That's kind of annoying and hard to read - how can I stop that from happening when I want to edit my posts?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2015
Read 8 reviews
Question for admins: I edited the last post for clarity. Whenever I do that it loses all the paragraph spacing and formatting.

That's kind of annoying and hard to read - how can I stop that from happening when I want to edit my posts?

Yeah big block of text in your latest post..

Brs

This user has no status.

Brs

This user has no status.
Oct 2015
Made a video of my forehand loop practice. The first bit is from the video I showed recently, but the rest are new.

In the second bit, I tried hitting faster and harder loops.
Things I know already is that I should be using my body + legs still.
But that part is dependent on the condition of my knees. Currently they are doing pretty well, but I always worry whether trying too hard will upset them, and that could take months - years to settle, so always a fine line of trial and error.
You are playing quite close to the table so I think you can get good quality with only waist rotation and no knees really. You may need them more to open vs backspin. It would be interesting to see you do an exercise where you serve, he pushes to your fh, then you go into the loop vs block. But opening is usualyl only one time per point unless you play a chopper. And you can serve top or sidespin to avoid backspin on your serve points. Saving your knees is truly highest priority. You can't play at all if you get hurt.

Maybe work instead on speed as in very early timing. Think of Liu Shiwen for example. Or Harimoto's backhand down the line if you prefer. This is most deadly than power to many opponents, and it only allows for minimal involvement from the legs because there is no time, and you are partly using your opponent's power against him anyway. Plus it's really fun to play fast if you have the reflexes for it.

Reactions: JeffM
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews

Yeah. This is one of those bugs that this version of the site has. When you edit, it removes the code for the paragraphs. What I do is add the code before anything else when I edit. But it is a pain in the behind if you don't know how to set it up.

Paragraph Two.

Paragraph Three

Paragraph Four

The square with the less than, greater than signs is the button that will show you the code. But you can write it in without being in that edit mode.

Screen%20Shot%202022%2012%2014%20at%2010%2034%2048%20AM%20png.png

This is a view of same with the whole task bar:

Screen%20Shot%202022%2012%2014%20at%2010%2035%2011%20AM%20png.png

The brakes around the P is the code for paragraph. The backslash before the P with the brackets around is the code for "end paragraph"
Screen%20Shot%202022%2012%2014%20at%2010%2036%2051%20AM%20png.png

Here is the code I wrote in before I added the photos:

Screen%20Shot%202022%2012%2014%20at%2010%2038%2031%20AM%20png.png

You don't have to do that on an initial post. But if you edit and there are paragraphs, I would just add the code so that your post comes out how you want it to. Well.....that is what I do. It took me a while of being annoyed that the code disappears when you edit to figure that out.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews

It is a mobile phone thing. Not sure what the fix is.

This user has no status.
Hi all,

As promised, I had another coaching session today at ebatt and so will aim to get some similarly edited footage to last time uploaded tomorrow.

Question - is this still the best thread to do so?

I know there was interest in seeing progress from professional coaching for a 6 month beginner like me, alongside you kind folks making any clear and obvious observations alongside that.

Cheers.

Here's a small snippet from the session on BH:

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2021

Thanks for taking the time to watch the games Brs, appreciate it.

After watching back the matches and reading your comments I've realised I block far more than I thought it did. Playing against this guy makes a bit more sense because I feel he just plays at a faster pace than I'm used to, so perhaps I don't feel like I have the time to complete proper strokes. Which is also a reason why my tactics didn't seem as apparent because I felt rushed in all the points.

I will definitely take the time to learn a lower dead serve as I don't have one that I can do yet. Also your point about the serves overall goal is to not be attacked/ apply pressure rather than just to make it as spinny as possible is something I'll have to remember.

Below video is a practice match I played vs someone around my level which probably shows a bit more how I prefer to play. But again, I realised I'm blocking more than I had thought in match situations. (would prefer to learn to leverage my longer arms and get more deadly full strokes)

Any observations or advice for this match is appreciated.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
In this thread there are rules about who I will allow to respond. The people who can respond in this thread are people I trust will give you good constructive feedback. In the past, when people posted footage, it was frequent that after, they would say, "I will never post footage again". And others would say "That is why I won't ever post footage."

The reason is, some people, often people who are not as good as they think they are, say crazy things in response to video footage of others. I remember one time a very very very high level player posted footage of him training another player who was even higher level. And there were at least 20 comments about why they guy was not any good and would never be as good as Ma Long and so he would never be any good. It was all silly stuff about someone who was sooooooo much than anyone who was making the derogatory comments.

And this thread is here so that, people can post footage and feel comfortable they won't have silly personal attacks made about things that the people making the comments can't do themselves. :)

So, you can post footage anywhere you would like. But if you want intelligent responses from people who are trying to actually be helpful and not from people who are trying to cut you down, this thread is a good place to post video footage. :)

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews

Hi J Bus...

Would be a huge help if when blocking you were not so far from table trying to reach out way in front of you to block the ball. Move a step closer, allow the ball to come into your strike zone, (move a little if needed to be in position) use a LOOSE grip and a SHORT stroke direct path to the ball 20 percent power... you will get the ball back... will not be a devastating ball, but your consistency will be up... then later, when you are able to more frequently get the ball into strike zone, you can increase grip and power some for a better counter.

Your pushing... you wait way too long. If you want to push, you already decided, so take a step to the ball and push it close to the bounce. Right now you give opponent way too much time and space to attack.

Keep it to just two things for simplicity.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2022

Funny to see the scorekeeper smile and nod after the early point where you hit about five consecutive backhands. Being so strong on that wing seems to really support your pips-out fh because you don't have to give up table position to play forehands from the backhand side. And you are basically using the pips to set up your bh which doesn't put a lot of pressure to win points with your forehand unless it's a high ball. Seems like a very balanced game plan.

Thanks for the praise, that indeed is the gameplan!

The umpire and my opponent are 2 of the 3 owners of quite a successful business, so it was nice that he was willing to be appreciative even as I played his business partner - the 3rd business partner made some noise that point too!

Slow-mo shows I was able to actively block - change the speed, location and largely keeping it deep, until I had the Down the line opportunity, which was why I enjoyed the point.

I actually found out the next morning I had covid, which explains on top of the pre-existing issues, why my HR averaged 175 for this match, and 185 for the second [1.5 hrs later!], even though my feet actually didn't move that point! I hope to play many more points with an active block.

Indeed, I think the BH is the lynch-pin, and that's the idea - people don't like the FH SP because they routinely make mistakes [in giving me balls that are normally neutral to advantageous to play, i.e. spinny loops, heavy pushes, fast balls] and hence a rally systematically favors me - you're going to play a ball I like quite soon, because your muscle memory and training tells you to. Its always good to hit a loop, right?

So even if they adjust and play more often to the BH, normally I have an advantage in dealing with many BH balls too..it's why combination rubber is powerful. It changes whats balls are good to play, requires the opponent to adjust, and also requires focus on ensuring you're dealing with the spin being imparted by each side.

Brs

This user has no status.

Brs

This user has no status.
Oct 2015
Hi all,

As promised, I had another coaching session today at ebatt and so will aim to get some similarly edited footage to last time uploaded tomorrow.

I know there was interest in seeing progress from professional coaching for a 6 month beginner like me, alongside you kind folks making any clear and obvious observations alongside that.

Cheers.

Here's a small snippet from the session on BH:

So by posting these coaching snips you are more helping us than the other way round. I hadn't seen that tip before about an extra sort of super-closed backhand followthrough. It was specially interesting because I think your coach said "That's how you get the spin. If you stop [stops with tip of bat pointed diagonal across table] there's no spin." Or something close to that.

I switched to short pips backhand because I have no feeling on that side, so I refrain from commenting on backhand topspin technique. Others may have useful feedback for you. I can only note that you put a lot of balls on the table with apparently good quality after his talk, and that has to be a good sign.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2022
Read 6 reviews

So by posting these coaching snips you are more helping us than the other way round. I hadn't seen that tip before about an extra sort of super-closed backhand followthrough. It was specially interesting because I think your coach said "That's how you get the spin. If you stop [stops with tip of bat pointed diagonal across table] there's no spin." Or something close to that.

I switched to short pips backhand because I have no feeling on that side, so I refrain from commenting on backhand topspin technique. Others may have useful feedback for you. I can only note that you put a lot of balls on the table with apparently good quality after his talk, and that has to be a good sign.

Agreed - that’s a really interesting point on the BH topspin finish!