Video Footage Safe Thread

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Thanks Der.
I wish to make some statement for those who have never try rebounding board. Rebounding board is not human, you have to do some adjustment. I cannot spin too much nor hit too hard ( which I truly like ). You just have to topspin "just right" as to prevent the ball from overshooting the table when it comes back. That is why in the video, you will see I am playing more placidly and not overly aggressive. Also, in my mind during the practice, I pictured myself to be quite knee bended. I am surprise in the vid, it seems I am rather standing straight. Mind do play tricks on oneself.

Carl,
Yeah, you are right, I was in a practice mindset and completely overlook the 'get into the ready position after serve part'. My bad. Will remember your reminder, thanks.
Gozo,

Your practice is fine. While it is good to be a Ma Long looper or even a Rambo looper like Der Echte, us arm loopers with fast snap and limited body usage have our place in TT. I just want to see you looping backspin in matches and following up with killer topspins or counter topspins. However you get there as an adult learner is good. Your loop is very good, you just need to be able to loop more types of balls with more speed, spin and placement variations which is a bit hard with a return board.

On the serve, I think serving long no matter how spinny is easy. That said, there are really tricky long spinny serves so you should be able to change the spin. But being able to drop a good serve into the short forehand prevents a strong attack at *every level*. Whenever someone is playing a strong higher rated player and wonders why all the points are starting with opponent topapinning their serve, I tell them that it is an unwritten rule that the only respectable serves are short backspin to the forehand. Everything else is fuel for topspin at the attacker's choice. But If you never practice it, you can't do it in a match straightforwardly but it is something to practice and keep in mind when you are playing 2100+ players who seem to be able to kill everything you serve.

Last edited:

NDH

says Spin to win!
Hi all, it has been sometime since I post any recent video.

This is my latest FH practice using rebounding board. I have stopped taking coaching three months now. Has my stroke deteriorated? Pls comment away. Thanks.

View attachment 27451
COOOOOO Gozo.....

I don't like rebound boards when it comes to commenting on the play - As you've said yourself, you have to change things slightly to account for the board.

But I see some nice improvements!

Your serves show you have a much better flow with your wrist, and this is often a big hurdle for people trying to impart spin.

If you can keep that flow, and start to serve shorter - You'll do very well!

Your general movement and anticipation looked nice, but again, it's a rebound board so it doesn't show the whole picture.

But the typical spin and arc looked solid, and a far cry from the previous flat hitting you started off doing.

You should be proud of how far you've come so far!

says ESN 42 hardness is my magic number
Mar 2021
Thanks NDH + Carl + NL for your voice of encouragement.

I could not go full GOZO(tm) mode due to the physical limitations of the rebounding board. I owe you guys a footage of me playing in a real match. I am planning one...watch this space.

This user has no status.
Hey guys, I am attaching a few videos of me playing. I am the guy in the red shirt. My opponent is 2250 USATT rated. Could you provide insight on my current technique and how to improve my game? I would really appreciate it, thanks. I am using a TBALC + Baracuda on both sides in this video. I felt a lack in power sometimes so I have currently switched to a Calderano SAL + Dignics 05 both sides.

• Love
Reactions: NDH and Gozo Aruna

NDH

says Spin to win!
Hey guys, I am attaching a few videos of me playing. I am the guy in the red shirt. My opponent is 2250 USATT rated. Could you provide insight on my current technique and how to improve my game? I would really appreciate it, thanks. I am using a TBALC + Baracuda on both sides in this video. I felt a lack in power sometimes so I have currently switched to a Calderano SAL + Dignics 05 both sides.
Hey Kaveern,

OK, so the good points.

"Table Tennis T Shirt" - That adds at least +5 to your topspin.

A really solid "CHOLAY", the pro's would be proud.

Clearly have the ability on the forehand loop/drive to play well.

However.... I think you've fallen into the trap that many others have (including myself), of posting the "best bits" from your videos.

Honestly, there isn't much to comment on here - Virtually all 3 videos show the same thing. You attacking with a nice spinny forehand..... That's it.

You'll get much more valuable feedback if you post unedited clips where you are losing points/missing shots etc.

Based on your current technique (from what I can see), I'm really surprised your TBALC and Baracuda aren't fast enough.

I think people make the mistake of going faster and faster with their set ups because they aren't "blasting" people off the table.

But the reality is, at the higher levels you win more points by being consistently fast and spinny, not just "ultra fast".

How are you finding the new Calderano + D05?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
View attachment 27481
View attachment 27482
View attachment 27483
Your backhand must be really atrocious... you never use it! 😜🤣

More seriously, what NDH said. Post video of your broader play if you really want insightful commentary, not just the highlights. Or maybe just get a better forehand since that is obviously your strength.

In all seriousness, if those clips are representative samples and your opponent is 2250, then you are clearly a better player than most/all of us and hardly need commentary.

This user has no status.
Hey Kaveern,

OK, so the good points.

"Table Tennis T Shirt" - That adds at least +5 to your topspin.

A really solid "CHOLAY", the pro's would be proud.

Clearly have the ability on the forehand loop/drive to play well.

However.... I think you've fallen into the trap that many others have (including myself), of posting the "best bits" from your videos.

Honestly, there isn't much to comment on here - Virtually all 3 videos show the same thing. You attacking with a nice spinny forehand..... That's it.

You'll get much more valuable feedback if you post unedited clips where you are losing points/missing shots etc.

Based on your current technique (from what I can see), I'm really surprised your TBALC and Baracuda aren't fast enough.

I think people make the mistake of going faster and faster with their set ups because they aren't "blasting" people off the table.

But the reality is, at the higher levels you win more points by being consistently fast and spinny, not just "ultra fast".

How are you finding the new Calderano + D05?
Hey NDH,

Thanks for your feedback. Unfortunately, those clips are all I have got haha. My friend took videos and just sent me highlights unfortunately. I feel like the baracuda is a little soft for my forehand and I really feel the lack of speed in bigger halls such as the one above. The calderano is slower than the boll but the dignics is a lot faster and harder which gives me a lot of power and kick on my forehand drives/loops. I just wanted to get an idea of how my forehand technique looks, like am I doing anything wrong or right in particular?

PS: Everyone likes a good chole :)

This user has no status.
Your backhand must be really atrocious... you never use it! 😜🤣

More seriously, what NDH said. Post video of your broader play if you really want insightful commentary, not just the highlights. Or maybe just get a better forehand since that is obviously your strength.

In all seriousness, if those clips are representative samples and your opponent is 2250, then you are clearly a better player than most/all of us and hardly need commentary.
I am a forehand dominated player primarily but I do chuck a few backhands in here and there. I think there's one in this clip which hit the net so ig it doesn't count haha. I am pretty sure that I am not even close to being the best on this forum so I kinda wanted some opinions on how my forehand technique looks

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Based on your current technique (from what I can see), I'm really surprised your TBALC and Barracuda aren't fast enough.

YES. Stimmt. Agree.

A player using his setup (TB ALC with Barracuda) would be able to apply PLENTY of power to the ball.

I use a significantly slower blade (all wood Persson Power Play) and not so uber fast rubbers (Bluestorm Z3 / Aurus Soft) and can blast the crap outta the ball if I have to.

NDH

says Spin to win!
Hey NDH,

Thanks for your feedback. Unfortunately, those clips are all I have got haha. My friend took videos and just sent me highlights unfortunately. I feel like the baracuda is a little soft for my forehand and I really feel the lack of speed in bigger halls such as the one above. The calderano is slower than the boll but the dignics is a lot faster and harder which gives me a lot of power and kick on my forehand drives/loops. I just wanted to get an idea of how my forehand technique looks, like am I doing anything wrong or right in particular?

PS: Everyone likes a good chole :)

OK, some immediate observations.

If you feel a lack of power, it is certainly down to technique rather than set up - The TBALC and Barracuda should be plenty fast enough.

If you watch your videos, virtually all of your forehand loops are played on your heels, leaning slightly back.

You have good arm speed and a decent body turn, so you still manage to get a good shot away.

But the difference between a good shot and a great shot is going to be when you get your weight going through the ball, rather than away from it.

Another good point to pick up on is how far away from the table you want to play.

If you look at the first video (second point), on the surface of things it seems like your opponent has played a fantastic cross court block and you have no way of getting that back.

But the only reason he's able to play that shot is because after your initial attacking shot, you've dropped too far back (possibly because you are playing on your heels, so you are naturally falling backwards).

Your next loop is then played too low (notice the ball drops quite a bit below the "top of the bounce") and then to add further issue, you "hold the pose" a little too long, like a golfer who has just bombed one 400 yards down the middle of the fairway ;)

Try and "snap back" after your loop, so you are ready to play the next shot.

But at your level, I'll be honest and say that your best course of action is to speak to an in person coach if you can!

Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
Hey NDH,

OK, some immediate observations.

If you feel a lack of power, it is certainly down to technique rather than set up - The TBALC and Barracuda should be plenty fast enough.

If you watch your videos, virtually all of your forehand loops are played on your heels, leaning slightly back.

You have good arm speed and a decent body turn, so you still manage to get a good shot away.

But the difference between a good shot and a great shot is going to be when you get your weight going through the ball, rather than away from it.

Another good point to pick up on is how far away from the table you want to play.

If you look at the first video (second point), on the surface of things it seems like your opponent has played a fantastic cross court block and you have no way of getting that back.

But the only reason he's able to play that shot is because after your initial attacking shot, you've dropped too far back (possibly because you are playing on your heels, so you are naturally falling backwards).

Your next loop is then played too low (notice the ball drops quite a bit below the "top of the bounce") and then to add further issue, you "hold the pose" a little too long, like a golfer who has just bombed one 400 yards down the middle of the fairway ;)

Try and "snap back" after your loop, so you are ready to play the next shot.

But at your level, I'll be honest and say that your best course of action is to speak to an in person coach if you can!
That actually makes a lot of sense. I rewatched these videos and asked a few friends and they all agree with this. I will try to work on leaning forward more and not stepping back as much. Thanks a lot NDH. Also, what do you mean by "But at your level, I'll be honest and say that your best course of action is to speak to an in person coach if you can!"?

NDH

says Spin to win!
That actually makes a lot of sense. I rewatched these videos and asked a few friends and they all agree with this. I will try to work on leaning forward more and not stepping back as much. Thanks a lot NDH. Also, what do you mean by "But at your level, I'll be honest and say that your best course of action is to speak to an in person coach if you can!"?
I mean that there is not that much good advice that you can get from a forum like this once you reach a certain level.

Sure, people like myself can point out the odd thing here and there, but nothing will compare with a coach in real life.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
The thing is that a lot of table tennis is not inherently technical once you get to a certain level, it becomes more about ability to execute point winning sequences at certain speeds and with certain levels of consistency, which may be related to technique but may not - after all, one can talk all one wants about how technically deficient a player like Thomas Keinath might be on the forehand but none of us would stand a chance against him regardless. You are already playing quality shots vs 2250 level opposition. You could share your rating but if you are roughly over 2000 and have played for over 5 years with some coaching, a lot comes down to the amount of time and challenge you put into your game and trying to squeeze out things, things which are less about getting tips on the internet but more about getting a high level coach to review your game in detail and give you things to address the things that cost you points or make you work too hard to score points. Sometimes it can even be just facing the ball quality of a strong player on a regular basis that raises your level and very little to do with anything technical per se about your game.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2019
View attachment 27481
View attachment 27482
View attachment 27483
taking into account what NDH says which I agree with btw, yr fh though officially "correct" , looks a bit "wooden " that is, it doesn't have the whippy quality which happens when the upward drive from legs and body results in small elbow snap and wrist snap at impact. If you agree with this then the solution is a looser more relaxed arm and shoulder. This is what coaches mean they refer to a good 'release.

Reactions: ben1229
Mar 2021
Thanks NDH + Carl + NL for your voice of encouragement.

I could not go full GOZO(tm) mode due to the physical limitations of the rebounding board. I owe you guys a footage of me playing in a real match. I am planning one...watch this space.
Darn it. Getting my play partner to co-star in my next YT video is not easy as it seems. Many are camera shy when I said I want to upload this play into my YT channel.

This user has no status.
Following this thread and reading the last few posts, no offense but what are the level of players that are allowed to comment here?

I do think along the lines of take good advice from ANYONE….AND a 1000 usatt level observant player might be a better coach than a 2500 level player.

But still…i think it might be fair to ask who we are seeking advice from. AND can we see videos of the advice givers level?

NDH

says Spin to win!
Following this thread and reading the last few posts, no offense but what are the level of players that are allowed to comment here?

I do think along the lines of take good advice from ANYONE….AND a 1000 usatt level observant player might be a better coach than a 2500 level player.

But still…i think it might be fair to ask who we are seeking advice from. AND can we see videos of the advice givers level?
It’s absolutely fair to ask.

There is video of everyone on the “allowed” list on the forum, but perhaps it would be good to include it in one “sticky” post for future reference!

It’s always a tricky balance, as great players don’t always make great coaches, but I feel the people who give advice here do so very well, often with limited video to work from.

I have no idea of “rating/level” of everyone here, but here is a video I posted to try and encourage others to show something similar.

Essentially, it’s a “what do we need to see to be able to offer good advice” type video.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews

While I don't post my full name on forums often or ever in the age of Google and Facebook, I do post a lot of video and share a lot of details that make it fairly easy to tell who I am. I started playing seriously about 12 years ago. My current USATT is around 1950 (though my current play is likely lower), my max was closer to 2100 and these are things that can be verified on the internet. I have posted a lot of youtube videos over the years with my play, many including forum members. And I probably have lots of hours of training videos unlisted.

Most of my coaching insight was gained working with two coaches for the most part, one a local coach of late memory who developed quite a few adult learners like myself to a decent level as well as two 2200+ kids, and the second coach is a national/international level coach with an internet coaching service who taught me a lot about how to approach technique, though I probably didn't understand a lot of what he told me with my technical limitations. But since I immersed myself in table tennis quite a bit, I try to give realistic context to people who think that improvement is quick and easy. Since many people had the bulk of their improvement as younger learners, it helps to get a broader perspective of experiences from people who choose to play this sport even when they might be relatively bad at it.

I don't have any recent edited training videos to share - the last match video I share publicly is here but there are lots of video of my play and training at various times over the last decade on that channel.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews

Everyone who is on the list and allowed to post has demonstrated that they are able to give USEFUL ADVICE and not say things that make people WISH THEY HAD NEVER POSTED FOOTAGE.

If you have been on the forum through the years, there are many many threads where someone posts footage, a bunch of people comment with things like, "you suck", "your FH sucks because that is not how Ma Long hits his FH", "You suck because you don't just all out attack everything" etc..... And usually the people who are making comments like that are notably worse than the people they are making comments about.

Almost all of the people allowed to comment, I have seen footage of them play and seen them give useful and constructive feedback about play, game skills, technique, strategy. Many of the people on the list, I have met and seen play in person. Many of the people on the list have posted footage in both this thread and the thread "Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat" https://www.tabletennisdaily.com/forum/topics/daily-table-tennis-chit-chat.13168/

If there was someone on the list who started giving commentary that was not useful, I would take the comment down. If it continued happening, I would take them off the list.

There have been many times when someone not on the list made a comment and I told him that the comment was good and gave the person information on how they could be added to the list. There have also been times where someone commented and I let them know the rules of this thread and deleted their post. But the rules of who can post on this thread are based on my determination that the person commenting is trying to help the person whose play they are commenting on. And, when someone wants to be on the list, one of the things I will ask them is TO POST FOOTAGE.

You can feel free to post footage in your own thread where anyone can comment. It would be a nice experiment. I actually think, since this thread's inception, people commenting on footage in threads outside of this thread has become much more constructive and civil. About 5 years ago, if you tried to follow much of the advice posted on threads commenting about footage someone posted, many of the comments would have been likely to cause injury; many of the comments would have been insults; some of the comments would have been things like this: "This is why I won't post footage to the forum!"

So, the reason for this thread was to make it so the people commenting were people I KNEW WERE CAPABLE of giving helpful advice, not insults or advice that just showed the person commenting did not really understand the sport.

And there are definitely at least a few TTD members on the forum who are quite high level who would not be allowed to post commentary on here despite their level because of their attitude.

I hope that helps you understand some of the reasoning behind the thread and some of the choices I have made in deciding who is allowed to post footage.

Also, don't be fooled, when someone like NextLevel says, "you are probably higher level than most of the people allowed to post in this thread": NextLevel is a much better player than most people would realize just from looking at the footage. And there also may be SOMETHING TO BE SAID ABOUT MODESTY.

Last edited: