What Blade To Choose?

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Ahh, that wasn't me. hehe. but I'll try to film a video in my play while in training :)...

Okay, I must have been mistaking you for someone who was on the forum a few years ago. Trying to get good footage of yourself is valuable for several reasons. Go for it. There will be some people who could really pinpoint good stuff for you to focus on to ramp up your game.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
I would consider using BTY maze. It's feeling is very good especially in counter spin, indeed it is.
I'm using maze and I like it very much, I would recommend it to you.
The point of carbon blades, from my point of view, is that you are losing control in pasive stroke such as block or in receiving a service. It is said, they're for advanced players.

This user has no status.
Uhhhmmmm. Guys I need your help... I'm thinking of switching from all-wood blade to carbon blade. but I really love to have the ALC one because most review says that it has the most wood feeling compared to the other carbon blades...

Play style?
I've developed my attacking style from far attack to a close-mid to the table attacks... I prefer to be put my ball a much more spin rather than putting alot of power in it... I'm not the type of Fast game attacks whether I like to be more of a bit safe play for choosing my attack timing to have a better possibility of avoiding an out-ball or a short to the net one.

What rubbers to put in it?
I prefer chinese rubbers on my FH such as DHS hurricane 3 or DHS Skyline 3
On my backhand a Donic Baracuda (MAX)

My present setup?
I have a Stiga Clipper WRB as my blade and a xiom vega europe in my FH and donic Baracuda (MAX) in my BH

Some choices I've thought of (but not really the ones I like)
  • BTY Ishlion
  • BTY Iolite
  • BTY Viscaria
  • BTY ZJ

I'm wondering if you could help me out with my concerns on what blade to choose... Thanks and Good Day! :)
BTY TB ALC or BTY TBS. NEver used it but just about everyone likes them

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2014
Would a 6.9~7.0mmm Clipper Wood be more flexy than a 5.7 TBS/TBALC/Viscaria?

based on my experience.. yes, because a clipper wood has no carbon material that is used.. while the TBS/TBALC/Viscaria has a carbon material that decreases the flexibility of the blade making it a stiff blade :)(but, with some materials used I think like the Timo Boll Spirit it has a wood-like feeling even though there is a carbon material used in it..(that's what others are saying, though I'm not yet trying one) :)

based on my experience.. yes, because a clipper wood has no carbon material that is used.. while the TBS/TBALC/Viscaria has a carbon material that decreases the flexibility of the blade making it a stiff blade :)(but, with some materials used I think like the Timo Boll Spirit it has a wood-like feeling even though there is a carbon material used in it..(that's what others are saying, though I'm not yet trying one) :)

Interesting. So, despite being thicker than the TBS or Viscaria, the Clipper is still more flexy. :)

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Interesting. So, despite being thicker than the TBS or Viscaria, the Clipper is still more flexy. :)

The Clipper is a 7mm, 7 ply all wood blade. I would not use the term "flex" in talking about it. It is fairly stiff. Not sure how stiff the Viscaria is in comparison. But if one is stiffer than the other it could not be by too much.

The older Clippers from the early 1990s that were 6mm, 7ply all wood blades, they may have had some flex. They definitely had more wood feeling. But I think they were still on the stiff side of things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Clipper is a 7mm, 7 ply all wood blade. I would not use the term "flex" in talking about it. It is fairly stiff. Not sure how stiff the Viscaria is in comparison. But if one is stiffer than the other it could not be by too much.

The older Clippers from the early 1990s that were 6mm, 7ply all wood blades, they may have had some flex. They definitely had more wood feeling. But I think they were still on the stiff side of things.

Thanks! So the thing i'll have to deal with both the TBS and Viscaria is the reduction in the vibrations felt. :)

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Thanks! So the thing i'll have to deal with both the TBS and Viscaria is the reduction in the vibrations felt. :)

If you are using a Clipper and are thinking of switching to a TBS or a Viscaria, then it should not be a very hard switch. Speed is similar enough. Spin is similar enough. They feel different but you will be fine switching from Clipper to either. Why would you want to switch from Clipper though? That is a great blade.

If you are using a Clipper and are thinking of switching to a TBS or a Viscaria, then it should not be a very hard switch. Speed is similar enough. Spin is similar enough. They feel different but you will be fine switching from Clipper to either. Why would you want to switch from Clipper though? That is a great blade.

Comparision and review of TBS and Clipper

My TBS, 2nd hand for around $25, arrived today. Put similar rubbers from Clipper, and played with it. Transition from Clipper to TBS was very smooth. I liked the TBS more than the Clipper, a great blade. The TBS is much more balanced compared to the head heavy Clipper, even though I feel they weight the same or very close to each other. The vibration is minimal, it's still there but it's dampened, compared to the clipper. Looping both topspin and underspin is excellent for both blades. TBS is better at blocking, because it's more stable (bigger sweet spot), and less vibrations, compared to the Clipper. Construction is superb, definitely Butterfly Quality. The Flared handle of the TBS, for me, definitely beats the Flared (Master) handle of the Clipper (had to sand the handle to straight); TBS FL is much more comfortable in my hands compared to the FL of Clipper. The TBS is definitely a great blade, that I found at a very very nice price. :) Now to buy the viscaria tomorrow. >:))

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_9648.jpg
    IMG_9648.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_9649.jpg
    IMG_9649.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014
Read 12 reviews
Comparision and review of TBS and Clipper

My TBS, 2nd hand for around $25, arrived today. Put similar rubbers from Clipper, and played with it. Transition from Clipper to TBS was very smooth. I liked the TBS more than the Clipper, a great blade. The TBS is much more balanced compared to the head heavy Clipper, even though I feel they weight the same or very close to each other. The vibration is minimal, it's still there but it's dampened, compared to the clipper. Looping both topspin and underspin is excellent for both blades. TBS is better at blocking, because it's more stable (bigger sweet spot), and less vibrations, compared to the Clipper. Construction is superb, definitely Butterfly Quality. The Flared handle of the TBS, for me, definitely beats the Flared (Master) handle of the Clipper (had to sand the handle to straight); TBS FL is much more comfortable in my hands compared to the FL of Clipper. The TBS is definitely a great blade, that I found at a very very nice price. :) Now to buy the viscaria tomorrow. >:))

attachment.php

attachment.php

For that price...you are damned lucky!

That second hand TBS is simply in great shape. You sure it is not fake for the price asking? Not saying yours is but $25 is about the price of a fake one.

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.14.109.y1R7PP&id=39113867387&ns=1&abbucket=15#detail

This is not a fake. :)) Actually, I was doubtful at first if it was a fake. The one who sold this to me actually wants to give away most of his blades, used for a couple of seasons. I jokingly offered $10 for it, but he asked for $25. So I took it. Definitely had a lot of hardened glue on it, this even has fish-scale koto in it! Very good find. :)