What differences did you notice among different playing styles/club around the world?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2017
Since work in SW part of the perks is that I get to travel a lot(especially to EU/Asia) and I always try to find local clubs and join. Here's what I noticed the past few years:

1. China(Peking/Shanghai):

99+% of high level players(non-pro use DHS/other chinese rubber.

Coaching lesson fees were very reasonable.

Various different styles ranging from old-school short pimples to JooSeHyuk styles defense.

Predominantly more shakehands bue definitely the most chi-penholders around the world. One of the strongest aspect was the level of physique required by the young aspiring students in their early teens. They all seemed a little fatigued but still had the eyes of the tiger.

2. Corea(Seoul): mostly shakehanders but occasional lots middle-ages gurus still use jap-penholders.

Very diehard fans and lessons were extremely popular.
Some players are maybe a little too serious and almost everybody I played with really really hated to lose lol

Various mix in equipment usage but cldnt stop but notice a wide use of Butterfly equipment in all clubs(somebody told me Korea's the top3 Butterfly market worldwide).

Lessons were quite pricy but some coaches were highly skilled and very professional. Most coaches I've seen didnt have a single break the whole day. Lessons seemed a little too short(mostly 20~30 mins).

One impressive club I visited outside of Seoul was launched by a former gold medalist(Hyung Junghwa?) And even had some current pros training on weekends.

3. France(Troyon), my home club ;)

Friendly atmosphere mixed wit both very serious players and aspiring pros. Some former national champs make surprise visits as well.

Not as focused or serious as the Chinese clubs but I'd say it it probably more free style that respects variety and diversity. Very hard to find penholders or any sort and if u happened to be one, chances are people will ask you to play with them at least once(especially kids, and who can resist that eh?). Not much pattern but I'd say there were more Donic/Stiga/Yasak/Cornellieu users than Asia.

4. Scandinavia(Gothenberg)

Not exactly the hometown of Persson and Waldner but close enough ;) I occasionally visit and also used to be an exchange student here in this wonderful town.

Either you are super serious about a career or just there to have fun at the club with friends.

Very nice clubs with good facilities and definitely a strong presence of Stiga all around the region. Very creative players and some players were even friends with the local phenom, Mordegord. Personally a great balance of fun and scientific training in my opinion and also notices a couple coaches from abroad as well.

Merci ;)

This user has no status.
Ok, sorry for racist comment,

What I love with France table tennis is,

They often produce either unique unorthodox players or super funny players, for example,

Damien Eloi,
Clement Debruyeres,
Jean Michael Saive (Belgium, but too French to left out)
Stephane Ouaiche,
Jaqcues Secretin,
[Forgot] Purkart

Sent from my i5E using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
@LeSpinMaster

I'm French as well, but I live in Japan

What is shocking me most when I go to France, is when players talk to the opponent during the match, saying things like
"i'm gonna demolish him" "bastard, he got the net again" "ohohoho you cannot be always lucky, i need some nets as well" etc...

That just never happens here. Players do tchoooo, sometimes a lot, but will never say something other maybe than something like "come on" or "calm down" (to themselves), and certainly not talk during the match to the other player, or say something ABOUT the other player...