What is Xiom's "energy carbon?" (Strato, Ignito, Axelo)

I read someplace that Xiom's energy carbon is the same as T5000 carbon and I read someplace else is that it was similar to zylon or ZLC. Does anyone here know what it is? I recently purchased a Strato and I liked it so much that I decided to order another one. Tabletennis11 is out of stock on ST handles. I also placed two orders here in Vietnam and both places said no, out of stock. That got me thinking about what other blades might be similar.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I read someplace that Xiom's energy carbon is the same as T5000 carbon and I read someplace else is that it was similar to zylon or ZLC. Does anyone here know what it is? I recently purchased a Strato and I liked it so much that I decided to order another one. Tabletennis11 is out of stock on ST handles. I also placed two orders here in Vietnam and both places said no, out of stock. That got me thinking about what other blades might be similar.
Strato Ignito Axelo are just variants of the 3+2 Hinoki Carbon formula and they use a basic carbon weave, no zylon for sure. Donic Carbospeed, Primorac Carbon, Sardius are all in the same sphere, though I think Xiom's speed range for the formula is a bit wider. Amultart and Garaydia ZLC use ZLC for the same formula from Butterfly. Not sure why they stopped making the Gergely and Gergely Alpha which I think would have been around what you are looking for in the Strato. But I would recommend you stick to the Xiom blades for the most part and if you want to try another manufacturer, make sure the thickness specs are comparable.

Thank you for the response. Interesting information. I'll probably just hold out until TT11 gets more Stratos in stock, but I could be persuaded to buy something else if I see a deal or something catches my eye. A player over here in Vietnam told me to get a Garaydia T5000. I've only tried one Hinoki T5000 blade, it was a custom blade from Thailand. It was super nice and it played okay, but wasn't a fan of the pitch of the sound it made when hitting. Super annoying sound.

Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Thank you for the response. Interesting information. I'll probably just hold out until TT11 gets more Stratos in stock, but I could be persuaded to buy something else if I see a deal or something catches my eye. A player over here in Vietnam told me to get a Garaydia T5000. I've only tried one Hinoki T5000 blade, it was a custom blade from Thailand. It was super nice and it played okay, but wasn't a fan of the pitch of the sound it made when hitting. Super annoying sound.
Garaydia T5000 is Schlager Carbon territory so it is more like the Axelo. Strato and Ignito are both fast but not at that level, the Strato I think is Primorac Carbon or Donic Carbospeed. And I am not saying that those fast blades are bad, in fact, the plastic ball and the proliferation of hybrid rubbers make them all far more usable. I am just saying that the stiffness level on that blade is extremely high.

T5000 itself isnt liked by all, but high level playees used the Primorac Carbon (Boll, Groth) so definitely Hinoki makes it feel a bit softer. I was wrong in my initial post, it ssems the Strato is closer to the Primorac Carbon and the Ignito is closer to the Gergely.

Reactions: ericd937
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
I have ignito, strato and primorac carbon.
I play with primorac carbon now and putting the two others for sale. I also played with a friend's carbospeed a lot.

Starato is thicker than PC, and the top ply in particular is thicker. It has more vibration and higher throw angle and is more bouncy. I find that low throw is a defining property of most hinoki carbon blades but xiom blades are an exception.

Carbospeed is the other way around: thinner top ply and thicker core.it sends fast secure balls with low error rate but with little spin, which makes rallies long as the opponent can easily block them, unless you exert significant effort in your loops. Spin generated by primorac carbon, with the same technique makes rallies shorter as opponents get fast and spinny balls.

Ignito is thinner than all the other blades, with top layer of almost half thickness of the top layer of strato. It is less stiff significantly.

The 2 Xiom blades have a somewhat oval shape that is wider at the bottom.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Visually T5000 is quite a bit thicker than the energy carbon, and the feeling of my PC is stiffer and more metallic than my Ignito.
The Ignito is not the comp though, the Strato is - the Ignito is more like a Gergely - the Strato is more like the 6.7mm thickness that is the Primorac Carbon (my original post got that wrong).

EDIT: My dimensions are way off, seems a Gergely is thicker lol. Well, other than 3+2 Hinoki carbon composition, I need to be careful when doing the comparisons - seems the Ignito is in its own class.

Last edited: