Which Hurricane 3 version?

says Serve, top, edge. Repeat.
May 2020
Read 1 reviews
Hello everyone!

I have been playing for about 7 years and have found the hurricane 3 and hurricane 3 neo rubbers (commercial versions) to suit my style pretty much perfectly.

My blade is the stiga intensity nct and currently I have a commercial hurricane 3 (non neo) 40° 2.2 and I'm looking for an upgrade.

A few years back I played the commercial neo (41° 2.2) on a viscaria, I was satisfied until the top sheet separated from the sponge and started to annoy me because I couldn't find a replacement anywhere in Greece. I ended up buying a classic h3 from aliexpress to give it a try and see the difference from the neo.

On the viscaria it played horribly, I felt it had no feeling, it was nothing like the neo. I decided to take it off and put a tenergy 05 and be done with it.

Fast forward 4 years and I dug up that old classic h3 (purple box) and threw it on my current blade (stiga intensity). I had put 2 hearty layers of baby oil to tune it a bit, but I forgot it for like 3 months, so I'm 99% sure it has no effect anymore.

When I put it on I was shocked... It's nothing like I remember, on the intensity it plays like a dream... It's blazing fast and the spin is simply out of this world. The rubber holds the ball without that shallow metallic feel that the viscaria gave and gives me perfect understanding for what's happening with spin and speed. And the feeling, omg... I'm just convinced that the rubber didn't suit the viscaria. Or I didn't suit the viscaria, idk...

I'm pretty confused as to if the feeling would be even better if it was a neo on the intensity, just like the neo was better on the viscaria. If I put the neo on the intensity, would it be even better or would it become similar to the uncertainty of the viscaria?

But my hurricane ptsd started to resurface...

After playing with it for not even a week, the sides started lifting. So after checking the local shop and seeing that he now has dhs rubbers, I decided on buying a provincial hurricane 3 (the factor is my budget and don't want any other model like national).

I had the commercial neo and it felt a touch hard, I have the normal and feels grippy and better to play with, but lacks the very good feel that the neo has, when you play softly and with very low power. I like the throw angle of the classic on the intensity.

So here's the question:

I have the option to buy one of four,

-Neo hurricane 3 provincial
-Neo hurricane 3 provincial Blue sponge
-Old Hurricane 3 provincial
-Old Hurricane 3 provincial blue sponge

How do all these compare in feeling, throw angle, touch and playing characteristics? What are your experiences with them?

(side note, I'm not interested in boosting, so anything I decide on getting will be a 39 degree. My old neo was 41° and my current classic is 40°)

I've always wanted to play with blue sponge so I'm leaning towards it, but based on what I've said I don't think that it would be the best choice since I've read it has a low throw angle... Other than that and with everything else I've said, what would be better, neo or classic, blue or orange?

Will the throw angle of the bs destroy my nerves and force me back to commercial? Because there's no way I'm buying another rubber if one doesn't work, it'll be back to start for me.

I know these are a lot of questions, including everything I ask throughout the whole topic so thanks for taking the time to read through this, and even more if you help me! Anything you share will be useful.

Thank you in advance!

Last edited:
says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
I had put 2 hearty layers of baby oil to tune it a bit, but I forgot it for like 3 months, so I'm 99% sure it has no effect anymore.
As usual when it comes to H3 you will get dozens of opinions re Normal H3 vs Neo, blue sponge vs orange sponge and I will refrain from commenting.
However when it comes to your 99% sureness re the 2 layers of baby oil I am happy to correct you and say that you are 99% wrong. :LOL:
I did several experiments with babyoil and even after 3 months, if stored properly there is plenty of residual boosting effect left.

Reactions: Scarfed Garchomp
May 2020
Read 1 reviews
As usual when it comes to H3 you will get dozens of opinions re Normal H3 vs Neo, blue sponge vs orange sponge and I will refrain from commenting.
However when it comes to your 99% sureness re the 2 layers of baby oil I am happy to correct you and say that you are 99% wrong. :LOL:
I did several experiments with babyoil and even after 3 months, if stored properly there is plenty of residual boosting effect left.
Oh ok, had no idea. Then probably the neo is the better option, it'll need no tuning

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
I've used all versions of H3, literally all of them.

In general, OS and BS differ in the following aspects (assuming they have the same hardness):

1. Feedback - OS gives more clarity in feedback at low to medium impact. At high impact, you can feel both easily.
  2. Max spin & speed - higher with BS
  3. Possibility of bubbles - BS is known to form bubbles more likely after boosting
  4. Boosting - BS relies more on booster

Your safest bet is a OS Neo H3 provincial at $33. But all new H3 are just 20-30% tacky vs the old H3. So you have to get used to it.

All TG Skylines sheets are still tacky as hell.

Reactions: bobpuls and ben1229
This user has no status.

In general, OS and BS differ in the following aspects (assuming they have the same hardness):

1. Feedback - OS gives more clarity in feedback at low to medium impact. At high impact, you can feel both easily.
  3. Possibility of bubbles - BS is known to form bubbles more likely after boosting

Your safest bet is a OS Neo H3 provincial at $33. But all new H3 are just 20-30% tacky vs the old H3. So you have to get used to it.

Does the Neo provincial bs get bouncier overtime? Cause I used to use a Neo provincial os of the same degree and I find it much bouncier than bs although it’d been used for a month whereas this bs has only been used for about 3.5 hours. ( I didn’t boost either of them)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022

Why do CNT players use OS on backhand if the BS has more max spin/speed?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
Why do CNT players use OS on backhand if the BS has more max spin/speed?

Good question. I’ve heard something along the line that the BS is too dark with a red topsheet and the it will break the ITTF rule.

LJK used 41 BS H3 on BH and OS Red on FH. He won many matches with his monstrous BH. Your theory is correct

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
Good question. I’ve heard something along the line that the BS is too dark with a red topsheet and the it will break the ITTF rule.

LJK used 41 BS H3 on BH and OS Red on FH. He won many matches with his monstrous BH. Your theory is correct
why not us BS on both sides if it's the better sponge?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
Does the Neo provincial bs get bouncier overtime? Cause I used to use a Neo provincial os of the same degree and I find it much bouncier than bs although it’d been used for a month whereas this bs has only been used for about 3.5 hours. ( I didn’t boost either of them)

What I’ve learned on Bilibili is that at the same hardness degree, OS is slightly bouncier than BS with low impact. But when you loop like ML BS will hold the ball for longer = greater catapult effect.

Our local seller convinced me to stay with OS even it costs less.

Reactions: Robin0910
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
What I’ve learned on Bilibili is that at the same hardness degree, OS is slightly bouncier than BS with low impact. But when you loop like ML BS will hold the ball for longer = greater catapult effect.

Our local seller convinced me to stay with OS even it costs less.
Actually I think this is true. I find BS to be slower than OS when I play it, obviously I'm not as powerful as ML.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023

I have used only orange sponge commercial, 39 degree. Recently I ventured into 40 degree and it is an adjustment. I need more power but I am totally surprised how much harder the 40 degree is compared to 39 degree. I cannot even fathom trying to play 41 degree or 42 degree.

That being said, I gave in and bought one blue sponge Hurricane regular National and one orange sponge Hurricane regular National. I am boosting both and to my surprise, the blue sponge is curving a lot more than orange sponge so far.

In terms of my comment, yes all the new hurricane are about, I would say 30-40%, less tacky v the old hurricane.

the OP is lucky to have an old sheet from 4 years ago! Oh the good old days of tacky hurricane.

After boosting, the sponge is completely "deformed" and I feel that the boosting effects last for months but many people would disagree with me.

I have bought a bunch of TG Skyline sheets. Only a small percentage are still tacky like heck. The rest are like the new hurricane 3. That's my experience.

As for what OP should do, probably provincial blue sponge because of what TT11's youtube video says. But please do boost and break the sponge in before it becomes much more lively.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
I have used only orange sponge commercial, 39 degree. Recently I ventured into 40 degree and it is an adjustment. I need more power but I am totally surprised how much harder the 40 degree is compared to 39 degree. I cannot even fathom trying to play 41 degree or 42 degree.

That being said, I gave in and bought one blue sponge Hurricane regular National and one orange sponge Hurricane regular National. I am boosting both and to my surprise, the blue sponge is curving a lot more than orange sponge so far.

In terms of my comment, yes all the new hurricane are about, I would say 30-40%, less tacky v the old hurricane.

the OP is lucky to have an old sheet from 4 years ago! Oh the good old days of tacky hurricane.

After boosting, the sponge is completely "deformed" and I feel that the boosting effects last for months but many people would disagree with me.

I have bought a bunch of TG Skyline sheets. Only a small percentage are still tacky like heck. The rest are like the new hurricane 3. That's my experience.

As for what OP should do, probably provincial blue sponge because of what TT11's youtube video says. But please do boost and break the sponge in before it becomes much more lively.

I’ve used 3 sheets of Skyline 2 over the last few months. All are super tacky.

Where did you get your Skylines from?

Reactions: Jslick89
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
I’ve used 3 sheets of Skyline 2 over the last few months. All are super tacky.

Where did you get your Skylines from?
Both Aliexpress and TT11. Rest be assured, I have been disappointed. I mean yeah 2 sheets here and there seem super tacky but the rest, not much so.