Why do I need to remove old glue from the rubber's sponge?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2022
An uneven playing surface is an unpredictable and inconsistent playing surface.

With fresh uncured glue, you can clamp or stack some books on the rubber/blade while drying and it'll slowly but surely even out.

With old glue, you're going to get some unevenness after you've pulled the rubber from the blade. Even with a sealed surface and DHS No. 15 glue (the best I've found for not leaving any glue on the blade), there have been only 1 or 2 times where I've peeled the rubber off, examined the rubber, and found the glue layer acceptably smooth.

There's an argument the fresh glue will fill in the gaps left by the old glue, but my experience is that I see more bumpiness through the topsheet when I've reglued without removing the old glue.

says Gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci...
says Gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci...
Jul 2014
An uneven playing surface is an unpredictable and inconsistent playing surface.
Rubber and glue are elastic and deformable materials. If we were talking about a hard surface that did not deform then a bumpy and rough surface would certainly be more noticeable, but the fact that rubbers deform around the ball, the ball also deforms during contact, and the glue layer itself is very thin, I just don't see how a slightly bumpy glue job would even be noticeable during play unless it was intentionally made to be terrible or somehow facilitated sub optimal adhesion.